What did you do to your TJ today?

Finally got to working on some stuff on the Jeep after surgery. Still not 100% sure where this goes. I have it zip tied up out of the way currently. It’s plugged into the transfer case and runs basically next to the exhaust toward the front of the Jeep. Basically gets to the front of the trans.

i can’t find any place that this would plug into nor does it really have any slack to move it anywhere. Is this fine just zip tied out of the way?

View attachment 275057

View attachment 275058
That’s your transfer case breather tube. It doesn’t plug into anything on that end, just leave it up high dont get into water that is above that. :)

you’ll find one on each diff and one on your trans, unless you have a 3 speed.

Tracked my ATF leak to the dipstick tube. Replaced the o-ring and stuck it in further. It’s now too low to bolt up to the bellhousing, but it also isn’t leaking.

the new breather also a source of ATF splatter, but that’s most likely because I overfilled it. I also noticed it gurgling out the breather as I was filling it back up. I suspect I have fluid in the breather pooled up in a low spot in the hose…need to eliminate that from the equation.

like @smurf, had IAC problems but cleaning the valve seems to have fixed it for now.

still have a non-functioning NSS. No reverse lights, and jeep starts in any gear even with the NSS disconnected. Would love to fix that, but not sure where to look yet.

Reactions: Kiwi TJ and smurf
That’s your transfer case breather tube. It doesn’t plug into anything on that end, just leave it up high dont get into water that is above that. :)

you’ll find one on each diff and one on your trans, unless you have a 3 speed.
Awesome thanks for the confirming!

• USA Proud
Reactions: hear
Also installed Hella lenses with LED H4 bulbs. Went out for a test drive - the difference is almost literally night and day. I've done this conversion on 4 Jeeps, now. 50% complete pic:

20210903_165827.jpg

Spent the morning with @AndyG doing a little wrench turning.. Installed a Savvy cable shifter which is smoother than melted butter and put on some caster cam bolts which really improved my steering. Crazy thing is we got it all done in 3 hrs.

Still doesn't drive as well as Andy's but we're not far off. I can easily do 75 with 2 fingers now. And that's with 4" suspension and 2" BL on 35x12.5x15's.

Spent the morning with @AndyG doing a little wrench turning.. Installed a Savvy cable shifter which is smoother than melted butter and put on some caster cam bolts which really improved my steering. Crazy thing is we got it all done in 3 hrs.

Still doesn't drive as well as Andy's but we're not far off. I can easily do 75 with 2 fingers now. And that's with 4" suspension and 2" BL on 35x12.5x15's.
His will amaze you how good it drives for 35” mud tires, Blaine’s brakes really shine too.

Another convert from the dark side (JK ownership) haha....good to hear you've found the joy of owning a TJ
I had an ‘08 and an ‘11. The ‘08 was bone stock Sahara. The ‘11 was a totally stripped Sport. I threw the entire PSC catalog on it. This was before it was fashionable to own a Jeep.

on average I pass 10-15 Jeep’s a day and almost all are JKs and JLs with soccer moms driving. The wave is all but dead these days. Pull up to a traffic light and there could be three or four JKs and JLs. I didn’t have the stomach to do that again

I love the TJ more and more. Everything I have done so far has made it better.

painted the faded covers on the roll bar padding. Came out great. They look brand new. No more faded purple color. Duplicolor Vinyl and Fabric rattle can.

fixed the hack job of a license plate light the PO constructed after doing led taillights. Used the little leds that screw into the plate mounting hole. Worked like a charm.

greased all the front end grease points

dropped tire pressure to 28lbs. OMG…. What a difference in ride quality even with the RC N3s the PO installed.

AC kit install? Tell me more, or have you done a write up on it? Tag me if so.
I should have done a write up. I bought the Jeep Air kit for TJs. It came with decent written instructions. The accompanying pictures that are printed in the instructions leave a bit to be desired (poorly printed black & white pics), but if there’s a website in the PDF version of the instructions where you can see them more clearly. I also watched a few YouTube videos, and read different write-ups on this forum about changing heater cores and AC evaporators (you have to remove the heater core box in order to install the AC evaporator). Everything is pretty self-explanatory, just time consuming. And if your Jeep spent a lot of time in the north like mine did, make sure you have a lot of Kroil for those rusty bolts!

Reactions: smurf
I’d like to know about that, what headlight housing are you using to use a bulb instead of the sealed beam?
"HELLA 002395991 7" H4 Type Single High/Low Beam Headlamp"

$45/ea on Amazon.

These are ECE approved, but not DOT, which means that they have pretty sharp cut-off. Previous to my LJ, I also use these in my TJ and my Wagoneer.

You'll want to double-check when you get them, before installing, because one time I received the version for left-side driving :( When looking at the face (with writing right-side up), you'll see a "<" pattern on the right side of the lens - this is correct. If it is on the left, then it will blind on-coming drivers.

This is correct:

20210821_170839_1.jpg