What do I need a waterproof to go through high water?

matt4282

What do I need a waterproof to go through Highwater? Not high enough to need a snorkel. Never driven thru high water In my Jeep. Just don’t want to be stranded after. Also it’s hurricane season so recoveries are always possible. Don’t want to be back in the shop for doing something stupid.
thanks

Take it through high water a number of times, then take apart your transmission and prepare to be shocked.

Want to ruin your Jeep in short order, take it through high water. I'm not kidding one bit there, believe you me.

But if you really insist on doing it, I'd start by making sure your diff breakers are in place, sealed, and the lines are in good condition.

I agree you should avoid high water if possible. It can not only turn disastrous rapidly, its also hard on your rig. If you do take it though high water at least check your diffs, t-case, and trans for water contamination. Fluid will milkshake, bearings will get angry.

Reactions: matt4282
Depends on how high the water is. People from rock country are always scared of mud and water and tell you to stay away. If you don't need a snorkel, all you need to make sure is that water doesn't get in the transmission, transfer case, or differentials. Pretty easy by tracing the breathers. Other than that, you should be good to sink it within reason. I've had mine in water up to the headlights a number of times. No problems since my breathers are up high enough.

This advice only applies if you are reasonable. Don't leave the Jeep in a pool for 24 hours straight and don't sink it up to the roll bar. Water also accelerates wear to a slightly lesser extent than mud. But off-roading also accelerates wear in general, so have fun. Be aware of what you are doing to the Jeep and you'll be fine.

Depends on how high the water is. People from rock country are always scared of mud and water and tell you to stay away. If you don't need a snorkel, all you need to make sure is that water doesn't get in the transmission, transfer case, or differentials. Pretty easy by tracing the breathers. Other than that, you should be good to sink it within reason. I've had mine in water up to the headlights a number of times. No problems since my breathers are up high enough.

This advice only applies if you are reasonable. Don't leave the Jeep in a pool for 24 hours straight and don't sink it up to the roll bar. Water also accelerates wear to a slightly lesser extent than mud. But off-roading also accelerates wear in general, so have fun. Be aware of what you are doing to the Jeep and you'll be fine.

Not particularly wanting to go thru high water even though it looks fun . But if I do wondering what to look out for. Thanks for the info. I live in Texas and it’s hurricane season so driving thru high water is always a possibility.
Thanks

Reactions: TJ Starting
@matt4282. You may get a chance to find out how it does in high water if that storm in the gulf finds its way here.

Stay safe. During Harvey, our friends house went from dry to 5ft of water in 3 hours after they opened the dam at Lake Conroe.

• Wow
Reactions: TJ Starting
What is your definition of high water? TJs can easily do 20 inches stock. This does not mean there are not things you have to do afterwords like greasing and checking fluids. We go through a lot of water up here in AK so additional steps have to be taken and maintainance intervals have to be adjusted. Using electrical connector grease on the wiring, extending the trans breather, making sure you have no leaks (leaks out equal leaks in too) and moving the air intake are necessary. Early TJs have an advantage in that the charcoal caninster is mounted under the hood up high so that does not have to be worried about as much either.

If salt water I would try to avoid at all cost if possible. If you have to be sure to flush and dry everything including the inside of the frame with fresh water.

The door sills is about my limit. But I've had water wash over the hood more than a few times. I haven't done anything special to water proof the Jeep.

The tranny breather on an AX15 (early 5 speed manual) is basically right at the base of the shifter, and that can't easily be extended. If the other breathers are in place or better yet, relocated higher, I wouldn't be afraid to do quick trips through standing fresh water just short of that. I have many times and while I always changed my fluids when I got home, they were never once contaminated. I take that back; the first time I did a water crossing the rear diff fluid was, but the factory breather was disconnected as well. That D35c died about a year later FWIW. Parking in fresh water for extending periods will make anything leak though.

TL/DR--don't go into salt water unless it is enough of an emergency you don't mind throwing your jeep away and don't do fresh past where it would get to the top of the tranny, and even then, change your fluids after. Anything below the axle tubes would obviously be a non-issue. If you are considering trying to waterproof other things like distributor, intake, etc., you are getting in too deep anyways.

Both my Land Rover
resize6.JPG

And my TJ
jeep water 2.jpg

Hit water and mud regularly here in the U.K. The trick is to replace diff and gear/transfer box oils after each dunking. If there is any sign of water contamination check/replace axle seals and so on.

Learn to cross water properly, correct speed/gear, to create a bow wave which will lower the water level under the bonnet and vehicle, is vital.

The 4.0petrol/32rh auto Jeep will not go as deep as the diesel RAI and raised breathers equipped Defender, but both have forded water up to the top of the headlights with no ill effects!

The most important thing is to maintain the vehicle according to the circumstances rather than the manufacturers schedule.

Yea, but that's British water. More like weak tea.😉
Remember that moving water can easily move you too. If you are dealing with a hurricane then the only thing you should be driving is North. Evac as quickly as you can. They claim as little as 4" of water can slide a vehicle around.

Yea, but that's British water. More like weak tea.😉
Remember that moving water can easily move you too. If you are dealing with a hurricane then the only thing you should be driving is North. Evac as quickly as you can. They claim as little as 4" of water can slide a vehicle around.
O.K got it, we have a strong wind, you guys have a Hurricane.
Fun vs. life or death.