What do you think about 37" tires with my setup

Junkyard Junkie

I've been working on my current project for about 8 months now. It's a 1998 TJ with a 5.9L magnum and a 46RE trany from a 2003 Durango RT.
I have a Ford 8.8 and a high pinion D-30, with 5.13 gears. The rear axle is in and here's a picture of the space I have to work with, that's a 235 75 15 tire for reference. I'm finishing the R&P in the front and that'll go in next week.

I plan to use the newer TJ wheels with adapters. I have a 2.5" SL lift and I need another 2" spacer for the front to make the Jeep sit level, plus a 1" BL.

I'm thinking about buying a set of used 37" tires that still have some decent tread left for $300.

I'm also leaning towards selling this TJ when I'm done and doing an LS/4L60E swap my JKUR.

Yes I know that's way too much tire for the front axle for any real off roading, but I'm considering the "look" for when I sell it.

I'm wondering how the 37's will fit and any other thoughts.

Thanks.

wheel space.jpg

The only way to know is to cycle the suspension and see what where the tire hits first, then bumpstop accordingly.

Based on that picture I'd say the size will look great.

But I don't know how long the front axle will last with tires that large and the 5.9L magnum.

The weaker axle and used tires (with only decent tread) don't seem to fit the rest of the modifications and may be a drawback to anyone looking to buy.

Not enough ride height, wrong axles on both ends.
X2, especially on having the wrong axles. Especially the front Dana 30, whether HP or LP, whose ball joint size just isn't up to anything bigger than 35". And there are no ball joints, axle shafts, sleeves, trusses, or gussets that will make it worthy of 37's. Really.

I'd love to run larger than 35" tires but I won't. That's despite my f/r Dana 44 axles, 4340 chromoly axle shafts for both axles, CTM axleshaft u-joints, 5.38 gearing, a dual-piston 'Big Brake' kit from Black Magic brakes, etc.

Last edited:
Hate to say this, but I am now considering the look of it mostly. Only because of resale. My plan was to run 33" tires.
And I have a lot of wiggle room for haggling on price if someone is really unhappy with the D 30. So far I have about 6k out of pocket in it and all major components except wheels and tires are in place.
I can go with 35s if the 37s are not going to fit.

33s will fit. Do that rather than cobble a mess together for resale. There will be fewer questions.

Reactions: toximus
Hate to say this, but I am now considering the look of it mostly. Only because of resale. My plan was to run 33" tires.
And I have a lot of wiggle room for haggling on price if someone is really unhappy with the D 30. So far I have about 6k out of pocket in it and all major components except wheels and tires are in place.
I can go with 35s if the 37s are not going to fit.
Having too big of a tire, like 37", would scare off any knowledgeable Jeeper from buying it. 37's would indicate to a knowledgeable buyer the owner didn't know what he was doing and that there may be other issues as well.

I see your points. I'll test fit the stock 32" inch tires from my rubicon and go from there. Need to wait about a week till the front axle is in place. I don't want to jack up the rear right now.
Thank you all for the input.