What does a new to me TJ owner do first?

Lucee

Supporting Member
Alright I’ve had my tj for a month now and have put a few things in like leds and new head system. I do plan on lifting and linexing it early next year. But now what? What do I need to do to make sure its running at its best? I’m new to Jeep’s and working on vehicles in general so please keep that in mind when pointing me in the right direction. It’s a stock 05 sport in fantastic shape and is my DD and dog/beach mobile.

21D8A0A1-6F3B-4367-ADD0-416ADFCD4B74.jpeg

Welcome to the forum first off. It's nice to see a female TJ owner (especially since all the female's I see are driving JKs)!

It looks like your TJ is in excellent shape. However, given how old our TJs are, even if the mileage isn't high I always recommend a cooling system overhaul (see here: Jeep Wrangler TJ Cooling System Overhaul FAQ), because cooling systems are probably one of the most common things to fail on older vehicles.

But other than that, I'm not sure there's much you need to worry about. As preventative maintenance you could replace the spark plugs (see here: What are the best spark plugs for my Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0?) and replace the O2 sensors as well (see here: The Official Jeep Wrangler TJ Oxygen (O2) Sensor Thread) as those are all items that should be replaced as part of routine maintenance anyhow.

If you have not serviced it since you’ve had it and there is no prior history of service I would do the following in order of importance:

Check for fluid leaks
Oil change
Transmission fluid change
Brake fluid exchange
Inspect brakes
Front and rear differential oil change
Replace spark plugs (I don’t think 2005 has wires?)
Inspect all u-joints
Inspect front hubs
Coolant flush
Inspect radiator and hoses
Replace air filter
Check/clean Idler Air Controller valve
Check/clean throttle body

For the last five years mine is a daily driver, as well. Focus on maintenance. Then just use the Jeep. Don't start modifying it until you get a good idea of what it can and cannot do. Develop a build plan around what you want it to do. It helps to figure out what tire size you want. Many parts of a build are defined by the tire size.

I am a big believer that a street Jeep should be built as well as, if not better, than a trail Jeep. Be smart about what changes you make and buy quality parts. If you build the Jeep to perform well on pavement, it will take care of you off road.

Welcome to the forum first off. It's nice to see a female TJ owner (especially since all the female's I see are driving JKs)!

It looks like your TJ is in excellent shape. However, given how old our TJs are, even if the mileage isn't high I always recommend a cooling system overhaul (see here: Jeep Wrangler TJ Cooling System Overhaul FAQ), because cooling systems are probably one of the most common things to fail on older vehicles.

But other than that, I'm not sure there's much you need to worry about. As preventative maintenance you could replace the spark plugs (see here: What are the best spark plugs for my Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0?) and replace the O2 sensors as well (see here: The Official Jeep Wrangler TJ Oxygen (O2) Sensor Thread) as those are all items that should be replaced as part of routine maintenance anyhow.
Why thank you. I think most of the girls like the JKs for all the pink accessories you can add to it . Trust me no pink camo bezels or salt life decals for me. I did read the spark plug thread last night and got those ordered. I’ll tske a look at the O2 as well. Thanks!

If you have not serviced it since you’ve had it and there is no prior history of service I would do the following in order of importance:

Check for fluid leaks
Oil change
Transmission fluid change
Brake fluid exchange
Inspect brakes
Front and rear differential oil change
Replace spark plugs (I don’t think 2005 has wires?)
Inspect all u-joints
Inspect front hubs
Coolant flush
Inspect radiator and hoses
Replace air filter
Check/clean Idler Air Controller valve
Check/clean throttle body
Thanks for the list. It’s exactly what I need!

Reactions: Serbonze
Looks like a a really nice one , you will enjoy it .

Get everything greased that can be , keep the salt and sand washed off , and try to keep that Florida sun from cooking it!

Reactions: Lucee
Why thank you. I think most of the girls like the JKs for all the pink accessories you can add to it . Trust me no pink camo bezels or salt life decals for me. I did read the spark plug thread last night and got those ordered. I’ll tske a look at the O2 as well. Thanks!

Good call! All that pink and camo doesn't look good in my opinion, it just looks tacky. Clearly you've got your head on straight :)

Welcome ot the forum. The list @Serbonze gave you is great, especially since you don’t have any service records. The only thing I would add is :

Grease the zerks. There are 7 of them, and they are all in the front suspension area.

Welcome ot the forum. The list @Serbonze gave you is great, especially since you don’t have any service records. The only thing I would add is :

Grease the zerks. There are 7 of them, and they are all in the front suspension area.
Haha. I had to google that because it sounded like you were telling me to go snipe hunting ;)

@Lucee can you share a little how you came about acquiring your TJ ?
I got lucky and found it on Craigslist. A small garage owner had bought it at a dealer auction the day before. His wife wanted to keep it but that’s not how you make money he said. Lol. I’d already been across the state twice that week looking at other tjs that ended up being disappointing so I text him my offer before even driving that far. He accepted and I drove it home that night after seeing it was in great condition just as described :)

Welcome to the forum.

The list @Serbonze provided is a great list, and you can do it all yourself even with little experience and basic hand tools. One point I would like to make, please to be timid in asking questions. The members here will assist you with even the simplest of tasks and never make you feel dumb. We have all been a beginner at some point and understand what that means. You will also find that working on your own vehicle is very rewarding and gives you a wonderful since of accomplishment. The Jeep TJ is also one of the easiest vehicles on the road to work on.

Reactions: Lucee