What does it typically cost to replace a timing chain?

I think Jerry makes a good point. It would seem to me that if chain slop accounted for the 17° timming issue the engine would run rough all the time insread of some of the time.
In my experience, bad timing makes it run worse at idle than higher rpm, as it gets masked a bit by the rpm, but it would never have good power, would always seem bogged down. At that mileage though, especially after seeing how much mine was stretched, I'd replace them anyways, and count it toward maintenence cost. Won't be a waste for sure.

Reactions: CarsonTrailduster
In my experience, bad timing makes it run worse at idle than higher rpm, as it gets masked a bit by the rpm, but it would never have good power, would always seem bogged down. At that mileage though, especially after seeing how much mine was stretched, I'd replace them anyways, and count it toward maintenence cost. Won't be a waste for sure.
It does look like he is headed in that direction which isn't a bad thing per se only will it solve the issue. Changing it will tell for sure, I do know that in the day when I worked on V8's a 2° change made a big difference in performance as well as sound. I defer to you guys on this but I find it hard to imagine a engine with timing off by 17° would even crank.

Reactions: jodomcfrodo
It does look like he is headed in that direction which isn't a bad thing per se only will it solve the issue. Changing it will tell for sure, I do know that in the day when I worked on V8's a 2° change made a big difference in performance as well as sound. I defer to you guys on this but I find it hard to imagine a engine with timing off by 17° would even crank.
The difference would be that the computer can make adjustments based off of the cam sensor and crank sensor. A distributor could not make the same adjustments.

FYI: The Haynes repair manual recommends replacement if there is a 1/2" of deflection.

We have an '04 TJ with 176000 miles on it. We were getting quite a bit of noise in the front of the motor that sounded like the chain was slapping around from being stretched. Local garage changed it out (whole timing chain kit) for $480. A lot quieter now. The money was worth my time, and piece of mind to maintain the reliability of the motor.

The difference would be that the computer can make adjustments based off of the cam sensor and crank sensor. A distributor could not make the same adjustments.

FYI: The Haynes repair manual recommends replacement if there is a 1/2" of deflection.
Hi all, so the timing chain, cam and crankshaft gears have been replaced. The jeep now runs like a top, no issues starting, absolutely no hesitation, no bucking, quick response feels very strong.

On another note, two weeks ago i replaced the water pump and the day after i got the car back from the timing chain replacement the radiator is seeping anti freeze.
I want to buy a Mopar radiator part #55037652AA. is this the correct radiator. {2005 4.0L 6speed trans.} I found it on Ebay for $229.53 with free shipping? Has anyone seen this radiator for a cheaper price?

We have an '04 TJ with 176000 miles on it. We were getting quite a bit of noise in the front of the motor that sounded like the chain was slapping around from being stretched. Local garage changed it out (whole timing chain kit) for $480. A lot quieter now. The money was worth my time, and piece of mind to maintain the reliability of the motor.
$190 with free shipping.

@Chris - can you wranglertjforum this Amazon link?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0049EH4AC/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Fitment is correct for a 2005 4.0 manual.
Great i will check that Amazon link... great price and free shipping!!! Thanks

Reactions: skrelnik
the forum automatically forumizes it!
download (4).jpeg

Reactions: skrelnik and Chris
Reactions: skrelnik
I’ve had the Jeep about 1 1/2 year, check engine light came on after 3 months.

At about 24-26k Rpms the Jeep would buck and drive really rough..

Read cam sensor, replaced with Mopar.
Jeep ran for about couple of months and same code came up mechanic replaced crank sensor with Mopar sensor..
About a month after that engine light back on took back to mechanic and he said there was a short in one of the cam sensor wiring and replaced...
About 3 months after that ch eng light again and same code... the strange thing was that if outside temp was below 50• then the check engine light would come on and start bucking at 26k rpms...
Now took Jeep to the Dealership, they said both sensors were bad and replaced both.
Very next day engine light on again, they suggested that it needs new computer...
I sent computer out for repair, the company called and said they cannot find anything wrong with computer. They even left the computer in the refrigerator freezer overnight and retested unit, and same results, no issues with the computer.
Re-installed computer and the engine light stays on constantly but now it only bucks at 34k rpms....
Since it’s my daily driver, I drove it always under 34k rpms...
On extremely hot days 98• and above the car
At times, the car would shut off and have a really tough time starting and when it does start it runs really rough, like out of timing. If I let the car sit for an hour it starts right up and drives pretty normal.
That shutting of happened 3 times within 3 Month span...
Last week the Jeep kept shutting off about every 10 blocks and having a tough time starting and once started running very rough...

Thank you for posting this. I had the same exact symptoms, and have been tracking this issue(s) down for a while now. I found this post when my mechanic and I were at a loss for figuring out what the issue was. I saw this post, and asked my mechanic to check the timing. He found the timing chain was loose. I had him replace it, and the demon has been exorcised.

Reactions: KCsTJ
May I ask what symptoms directed the mechanic to.make the timing chain diagnosis?

Typically it will start sounding like a diesel engine due to chain slap, usually very audible with a mechanics stethoscope.

My 99 2.5 needed a chain at 150K.

Reactions: KCsTJ
Typically it will start sounding like a diesel engine due to chain slap, usually very audible with a mechanics stethoscope.

My 99 2.5 needed a chain at 150K.
Gotcha. I'll start paying closer attention to engine sounds.
So far i.think I'm ok. My 97 2.5L with 169k just has the typical jeep lifter noise for now.

Reactions: TJ4Jim
Hi all, so the timing chain, cam and crankshaft gears have been replaced. The jeep now runs like a top, no issues starting, absolutely no hesitation, no bucking, quick response feels very strong.

On another note, two weeks ago i replaced the water pump and the day after i got the car back from the timing chain replacement the radiator is seeping anti freeze.
I want to buy a Mopar radiator part #55037652AA. is this the correct radiator. {2005 4.0L 6speed trans.} I found it on Ebay for $229.53 with free shipping? Has anyone seen this radiator for a cheaper price?
Did you have any misfire codes prior to timing chain replacement?

Our 4.0L is a manual and it was just over the deflection spec at 80000 miles. Still ran OK, but we changed it during the rebuild because we had the timing cover off...

Reactions: KCsTJ and Chris