What does your Jeep Wrangler TJ weigh?

toximus

I live in my Jeep
Supporting Member
@jjvw inspired me to start this thread with the weight shedding he's doing on his Jeep. I'm rather curious how much correlation there is between how long somebody has owned the Jeep and the weight and tire size and the weight.

1) What is the TOTAL weight of your Jeep?
2) How long have you owned your Jeep?
3) What is your tire size?
4) Anything else worth knowing?

Reactions: jjvw
An interesting question for here or another thread is why did you choose the direction you went. Followed by what led you to change direction later.

@jjvw inspired me to start this thread with the weight shedding he's doing on his Jeep. I'm rather curious how much correlation there is between how long somebody has owned the Jeep and the weight and tire size and the weight.

1) What is the TOTAL weight of your Jeep?
2) How long have you owned your Jeep?
3) What is your tire size?
4) Anything else worth knowing?
Normal, unloaded, full tank of gas: 3,250 lbs. That's with the soft top and doors off.
Backwoods load out, full tank of gas, wife and I in the saddle: 4,250 lbs.

This Jeep, about five years.

31x10.50R15's. Going to 32x11.50R15's and new wheels when these wear out. The 31x10.50's have been on since right after I got her home.

1999 TJ SE, manual transmission. Only minor mods.

Last edited:
An interesting question for here or another thread is why did you choose the direction you went. Followed by what led you to change direction later.

First off, I have no "before" weight to provide this thread for my red LJ. Once it's completed I will get it on a scale.

My Jeep got fat because not all of the great light weight products that are available now were available (or talked about) when I got started. I had a few goals in my mind such as protecting the front end from hitting deer and steel was the choice. A few pounds more didn't concern me but that quickly turned into a few hundred pounds more between front and rear bumpers, fenders, winch, etc. (Along with other factors) I realized how bad it was starting to bottom out on washboard roads and nose dive when braking. With that realization and combined with having a clear focus of what I am actually building for, I have lost a lot of weight.

Simplicity, weight, overall envelope size. My build list has remained pretty static in five years. The only changes have been component selection as I research and learn. The overall direction and end result is the same. Just better and/or more appropriate parts on the list.

3940 lbs including about 96 lbs in gas last time I checked
12 yrs
32x11.5R15

My stock LJ was lighter than a stock Rubicon at one point but I forget the numbers, it was ten years ago.

Out here in CA you need to weigh commercial trucks to register them so plenty of places have scales. If you don't need an official number they do it for free if you are nice about it.

Can I just randomly drive onto a scrapyard scale, jump out and ask them what it weighs? For as grumpy as the couple places near me were the few times I had stuff to drop off, is there someplace else that would work?
truck stops have scales, they dont care how many different weights you want cause they charge by the certified weight ticket.

Can I just randomly drive onto a scrapyard scale, jump out and ask them what it weighs? For as grumpy as the couple places near me were the few times I had stuff to drop off, is there someplace else that would work?
Go to hard scape / stone business, or truck stop. I've found no charge unless you want a certified weight. Take picture of scale read-out

Reactions: Elliott
My 04 rubi weighs in at 4400 pounds on the truck stop CAT scale. I have a winch, front and back bumpers, 33x12.5r15 tires. She's a fatty.

new%20top%202-L.jpg

new%20top%201-L.jpg

My LJR was around 4300 with out doors and a soft top up. I do have steel winch, A to Z rockers, ucf tranny/ engine and savvy gas tank aluminum skids and 33in generals.

My LJ wieghs 4200ish ( I forget the exact weight) on the landfill scale. I had the soft top on, 32" tires on 17" wheel, aftermarket bumpers.

1) 3460 lbs. with full tank a fuel and my fat ass in it, hard top, full doors, minimalist bumpers, winch, no back seat and 20 lbs. worth of tool bag.
2) 14 years.
3) 33x1050x15 BFG KO2's @6K miles.
4) Weighed it 3 years ago when we puchased an RV in anticipation for toad duty. Wanted to know how much weight I was dragging back there.

Reactions: JMT and DrDmoney
4380lbs in May 2015.
20150513_103832_Grand Army of the Republic Hwy.jpg

33s. I owned the thing for about 2 years at the time.

The heavy enormous bumpers went on the year before with romantic ideas of running out of gas somewhere far away from a gas station. Turns out that is really difficult to do without some intention and purposeful neglect. And I didn't understand that huge bumpers just get in the way.

I expect to be pretty close to 4200lbs in the near future.

Last edited:
Reactions: DrDmoney
The title for my 05 RME TJ says 3,300 I believe. PO added 285/70/17's. I have added big front/rear bumpers and a winch but I dont think that would be another 1000lbs.