What GMRS radio(s) are you using?

WVJeep304

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Last year, I started to dig deeper into the world of GMRS. I'd only ever owned the Midland GXT radios from Cabelas, and they just didn't quite cut it for some of my needs. After much research, I ended up buying a Kenwood TK-880 mobile, programmed it for GMRS, and installed it in The TJ. I've been using commercial radios like this on VHF & UHF for years in the fire service, so I was partial to them anyway. Rugged, durable, and easy to program.

For a handheld, i wasn't ready to spend big bucks, but didn't want a $20 Baofeng, as I'd used those before as well and found the operation a bit clunky. I ended up going with a Tidradio H8. I've been super happy with it so far.

(2nd Gen)TIDRADIO TD-H8 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08TWS499H?tag=wranglerorg-20

Lots of features and programmable by phone or computer via Bluetooth. I also programmed a Kenwood tk5310 for GMRS yesterday, but haven't had a chance to really test it yet. It's WAY more radio than needed for GMRS, but I had it already, so decided to give it a shot instead of letting it sit in a box.

I'll probably grab a Wouxan or something else at some point just because I like playing with radios. What are you using? Any other radios I should look into?

I have two Rugged GMR25's and two Rugged handhelds that I've been pretty happy with. Easy to reprogram (with the right software) and they work well.

Reactions: WVJeep304
I use a Kenwood TM-V71A mobile which is programmed For GMRS , Ham and Fire Department .
For portable units I bought a few of the Beofeng UV-82 handheld radios .
In the house , truck and motorhome I use an Icom IC-735 for HF radio . Considered mounting a HF radio in the Jeep , but I think I'll just put together a field deployable HF kit . I don't want to install an HF antenna permanently to the Jeep while traveling through the woods . An easily deployed setup would probably work much better .

IMG_20240202_115407473_HDR_copy_1024x460.jpg

KIMG0818_copy_1280x720.jpg

KIMG1007_copy_2080x1170.jpg

UV-82-Baofeng-4471_637x.jpg

I have gone with a Baofeng so I can monitor MURS, FRS, GMRS using just one radio. Eventually I will go Midland but Baofeng was a cheap way to hear logging trucks call out locations when they are cruising single lane dirt roads

I use a Kenwood TM-V71A mobile which is programmed For GMRS , Ham and Fire Department .
For portable units I bought a few of the Beofeng UV-82 handheld radios .
In the house , truck and motorhome I use an Icom IC-735 for HF radio . Considered mounting a HF radio in the Jeep , but I think I'll just put together a field deployable HF kit . I don't want to install an HF antenna permanently to the Jeep while traveling through the woods . An easily deployed setup would probably work much better .

View attachment 497943

View attachment 497944

View attachment 497945

View attachment 497946

I wasn't familiar with that Kenwood you posted, but I looked into it since reading your post. That is nice! I might consider one of those. I went with the TK880 for it's small size which works great in the Jeep. I have the VHF version that I have been meaning to install in my truck for 2 years now, but never got around to it. It would probably be wise to install the TM-V71A in my truck and the Jeep to have everything in one package.

Unfortunately , they discontinued the TM-V71A . I would love to have one for the coach . I'm probably going to get a Yaesu dual band for the coach and program it similar to the Kenwood in the Jeep .

Radioditty db25-G.

Pros: Its small and the speaker is loud.
Cons: Its a pain to operate (likely user error) and I dislike the buttons on top of the mic since they get pressed anytime I grab the mic or place it back onto the mic mount.

Unfortunately , they discontinued the TM-V71A . I would love to have one for the coach . I'm probably going to get a Yaesu dual band for the coach and program it similar to the Kenwood in the Jeep .

I didn't even pay attention that it had been discontinued. I usually try to buy used anyway, but I looked on ebay just now and the only one on there is at $455 with 6 days left o_O From what I found, that's more than it retailed for!

I have some entry level Midland handhelds, the GXT1000G and the LXT630PA, as well as a couple of UV5R's that I haven't powered up yet. The programming cable is supposed to be delivered today.

Someday I'd like to get something mounted in the LJ, but I haven't been motivated enough yet. The handhelds have worked fine for my purposes, the big motivator would be to have something powered so I don't lose comms halfway through the day when a battery goes dead.

The UV5R is nice but programming cable is a must. Once you have a program set up it's very easy to program more units. I pretty much use it as a GMRS even though it will do way more. I also have a Midland with all controls in the Mic. Model 275 or something.

I also have a Midland with all controls in the Mic. Model 275 or something.

That's what I was wanting initially due to the small footprint. But, I'm an idiot and overdo everything and after reading about some of their limitations, I decided to program a commercial radio. And I guarantee the difference between the available features will never make a difference in my use of the radio 😂.

I started with a Baofeng for GMRS, used a Midland GMRS for awhile, and am now using a B-Tech UV-50X2 as an all purpose 2m/70cm/GMRS radio.

No it is not FCC type compliant for amateur radio use and the blood pressures of some old moss-backed ham operators may rise at the mere thought of putting practicality over blind adherence to rules, but I needed a single mobile radio rather than a collection of them.

1707331359837.png

In my JT I run the Radioddity QB-25, and in the TJ I just got some kit together to hard mount a UV-5R (I have a couple 5Rs). I use chirp to program all of them, and use for GRMS (FRS and MURS too). I like the QB, can monitor 4 channels at the same time without a rolling scan...

Reactions: wigsajumper
I have a midland 150 I think? Mounted under the dash. Plenty of power, covers most of the channels. I carry a BF handheld as well just in case I need a radio for spotting or out of the cab.

Kenwood TK880
Kenwood TK?? remote mount in the XJ.
Wouxun KG-XS20G Plus currently in the LJ.
My go-to for HT is the Wouxun 805G which have been very reliable. I love the simplicity of the single band radio and minimal buttons to mess with. Programming is simple via front panel or laptop with free software and a cable.

We have several repeaters available in our areas where we generally ride and I've been able to hit them from 50+ miles, enabling me to talk to home or someone in town from 70+. I've reached home HT with my mobile in the Jeep from 16 miles on simplex,

So much nicer on the trail than noisy CB. Yup, I have the license.

Actually have a story in here from a few years back where a couple of Vegas guys scouting for mule deer in the Rubies near Elko were stuck in a Toyota Sequoia at 10k'. After walking 7 miles out and scanning with their Baofeng, they heard us chatting on a trail ride about 10 miles away, broke into the conversation and were able to guide us into where they were for recovery. Only my 30w mobile was able to hear or speak with them. My buddies with HT had no idea who I was speaking to. Also, had we been using a "privacy code" they would hear us but we would not have heard them, unless their radio could scan those codes as well (the Wouxun XS20 has that capability).

Keep in mind: Receiver sensitivity and antenna placement is what is most important for good comms. Cheap radios generally don't have very good receiver sensitivity. Superheterodyne vs. "receiver on a chip".

I have a Midland MXT-500 with 6db gain antenna. Very happy with it. 50 watts if I need it. Also added external speaker. I have a retractable lanyard on the mic but the mic flips around too much off road for my likening.

IMG_2101.jpeg

I have used a few, but nothing has beat rugged. I have the hand held and the in cab mounted in my TJ and my Wifes JKU. They sound amazing.

Reactions: Apparition
Wouxon KGXS-20G for GMRS comms. Yaesu FTM-200 for dual band Ham comms. I have several HT's. My 2 favorite as of late is my Wouxon KG935G, and my Yaesu FT-65. Other HT's include Baofeng, Retevis, and TYT. My HF rig is a Yaesu FT-891. I have it in a HF case along with a Bioenno 12 volt 12ah battery to power it for remote work. I'll usually string up a EFHW antenna on a telescoping pole, or slap a Shark Stick on a mag mount on the hood.
20230105_101607.jpg

20220824_143356.jpg

20220824_143411.jpg

20230105_101640.jpg

20221113_142133.jpg

I like to head up into the mountains and work some SOTA activations.

Wouxon KGXS-20G for GMRS comms. Yaesu FTM-200 for dual band Ham comms. I have several HT's. My 2 favorite as of late is my Wouxon KG935G, and my Yaesu FT-65. Other HT's include Baofeng, Retevis, and TYT. My HF rig is a Yaesu FT-891. I have it in a HF case along with a Bioenno 12 volt 12ah battery to power it for remote work. I'll usually string up a EFHW antenna on a telescoping pole, or slap a Shark Stick on a mag mount on the hood.
View attachment 499234

View attachment 499236

View attachment 499237

View attachment 499238

View attachment 499239

I like to head up into the mountains and work some SOTA activations.

Do many people reach out to you on GMRS 16 because of your decal? I drive around with it on scan sometimes but very rarely hear anything.

Nice setup . The ft-891 is likely the radio I will use for my portable HF station .

I use a Larson 2/70 on a custom windshield bracket for the Kenwood TM-V71A . The mobile Internet hotspot uses the two cell antennas on the hood . I also scan GMRS frequencies and monitor Ham 146.520 and seldom hear anyone .

IMG_20230627_124142005_HDR~2.jpg