What grinds your gears?

A witness said it was a group of guys in a van, who hit about 50 vehicles in the area that evening. That $ adds-up pretty quickly.
I was lucky after they took the cat off my E350...for some reason NY state does not require this cat on anything E350 size or larger, so my mechanic just welded a piece of straight pipe there instead of putting on a $700 cat. I am sure the crack heads have been under my van a dozen times wondering where it is!:nono:

Reactions: Jeepers-n-Creepers
A car battery hooked up to the door handle maybe ??
Wouldn't even tingle. The human body doesn't have enough potential to generate a shock from a car battery. I have to teach my help that all the time. I tell them, they look at me like I'm an idiot, I reach over and grab both terminals on the battery and show them.

You need something to step the voltage up, way up, like a coil or a capacitor to be effective. Even then, you would need to generate a circuit path, one leg to the door, the other to ground. If the ground is dry and they have rubber soled shoes, you need a lot more voltage. Iffen I was going to do it, I'd get the electric fence charger that has the picture of the upside down fried cow on it.

Wouldn't even tingle. The human body doesn't have enough potential to generate a shock from a car battery. I have to teach my help that all the time. I tell them, they look at me like I'm an idiot, I reach over and grab both terminals on the battery and show them.

You need something to step the voltage up, way up, like a coil or a capacitor to be effective. Even then, you would need to generate a circuit path, one leg to the door, the other to ground. If the ground is dry and they have rubber soled shoes, you need a lot more voltage. Iffen I was going to do it, I'd get the electric fence charger that has the picture of the upside down fried cow on it.

Hmmmmmm....

(Rubbing my chin, whilst looking for an electrical grid for a Fence Charger - to install in the cargo bay of my TJ).

1543936935148.png

Reactions: Chris and Kiwi TJ
Re: protecting ones property. Also applies to protecting ones person. Florida is/was a stand your ground state. Which I agree with (not looking to debate that). A few months ago outside a convenience store apparently a young couple parked in a handicapped spot. Man goes into the store. Woman stays in the car.

Older dude probably in his 30s or 40s takes exception to them being in the handicap spot because they have no handicap tag or permit. Goes over and tells the woman she should not be parked there. She gets irate with him. And they start shouting back and forth. The man is standing near the woman’s vehicle when the husband comes out of the store. He goes over and violently shoves the man arguing with the woman. Man falls flat on his ass. What the young couple does not know is the other man has a concealed carry permit.

As the younger man continues to stand over the other man in a threatening way, the guy on the ground pulls his weapon. Younger guy turns sideways and starts to move away. Unfortunately, man on the ground decides to shoot, killing the younger guy...

Now there are all kinds of possible changes or repeals happening to the stand your ground laws.

I feel the younger couple was wrong all the way up until the moment the dumb ass on the ground decided to fire the gun instead of just pulling it and calling 911. However if the man on the ground did not have the gun, I feel the younger man would have beat him silly.

All of this chaps my hide because It goes to the saying “one bad Apple spoils the bunch”. How many rights/priveledges have we had taken away from us or how many “for our own good” laws have been passed because of one or two or a few idiots that refused to use or lacked common sense and did something stupid that ended up hurting themselves or somebody else.

I do not concealed carry. I have a good sized temper and don’t know for sure I would not be a dumb ass in the right situation. However, any tweaker, crackhead or plain thief comes through the door to my home uninvited, or is on my property messing with my vehicles or other possessions there is always a weapon within my reach at home and I would be very quick to use it, and ask questions later.

Thieves suck!!!!

I lived in Detroit apartment when I was young in a bad neighborhood and my gun was under my pillow every time.
One night, someone broke in and the noise woke me up just as the intruder, a huge dude, is passing by my bed and I was frozen.
I did not use my gun, was so afraid to move. He went out the door same way he entered.
I did not have the guts to use my gun.

I lived in Detroit apartment when I was young in a bad neighborhood and my gun was under my pillow every time.
One night, someone broke in and the noise woke me up just as the intruder, a huge dude, is passing by my bed and I was frozen.
I did not use my gun, was so afraid to move. He went out the door same way he entered.
I did not have the guts to use my gun.
I hear you. I often wonder if I were to wake up in the middle of the night with an intruder standing over me, would I reach in that instant, or would I feign sleep until the guy turned around. And since I would not be able to shoot the intruder in the back (legal trouble) would I say something and have him turn to face me, then fire.
You did the right thing though. Never ever draw your weapon if you will hesitate at all to use it. And in that moment you never know...

I hear you. I often wonder if I were to wake up in the middle of the night with an intruder standing over me, would I reach in that instant, or would I feign sleep until the guy turned around. And since I would not be able to shoot the intruder in the back (legal trouble) would I say something and have him turn to face me, then fire.
You did the right thing though. Never ever draw your weapon if you will hesitate at all to use it. And in that moment you never know...
Me i think I might be the opposite, I would shoot right through the wall.....having kids I won't take that chance, no gun for me!

What grinds your gears?

New members whose first post is a question about a usually frowned upon mod or suspension component they have done or are considering, asking if it's ok to do this. When told about how they would be better off skipping their idea, and doing it right the first time, they then proceed to argue and list all the 'reasons' they should do it anyway...

Why bother to ask...?

I'm not built for management but somehow I've ended up supervising a few folks, some good some not so much. I'm really tired of my subordinates asking me how to fix their problems (mostly professional but some personal). I'm calm outwardly, but the voices in my head are like Mt St Helens erupting.
Having been a manager for 15+ years (although not now, thankfully), along the same lines is when you have employees who have a dozen responsibilities they could be doing at any time; however you get those who always do one thing at a time, then wait for instructions as to what to do next..."no one told me that needed to be done"...really?

haha fried cow...mmmm now I'm hungry..

What grinds your gears?

New members whose first post is a question about a usually frowned upon mod or suspension component they have done or are considering, asking if it's ok to do this. When told about how they would be better off skipping their idea, and doing it right the first time, they then proceed to argue and list all the 'reasons' they should do it anyway...

Why bother to ask...?

I agree...I'll add to that , when They ask a question that has been clearly answered in another (well published) thread, and then when another member mentions that other thread, they say 'yeah they read that', but asked the question anyway ...sheeeesh!!

* thanks also @glwood for steering this thread back on track :drive:

Reactions: Chris
You know what's starting to grind my gears more than anything?

The amount of time I have to spend fixing thread titles.

Someone will be having a specific problem with their TJ, and instead of posting a descriptive title, they just write something like, "Help".

Then there's the people who will type out a title like this:

"why won't my jeep 4.0l sport start!?!?!?!?!"

or:

"help.......... no start!?!"

I don't expect people to be perfect with grammar and punctuation, but I can tell you that you should be smart enough to know that you only need ONE exclamation point or ONE question mark.

Also, please use a descriptive title for your thread. "Help" is not a title.

By using a descriptive title, you make my life easier, but you also help others to find your threads more easily in the future. After all, no one searches google for only the term "help", they search for something more specific.

Okay... rant over!

Lately for me it has been "reply all" on my company email.

Latest one:
"Congrats to so-&-so as new senior principal in Rocky Mountain Division".

Next 5 emails (replying all) within 10 minutes: "Congratulations!"

Quit flooding my inbox:mad: