What happens if a OHV runs into your Jeep on a trail?

Maybe I’m alone here, but it’s hard for me to grasp and explain to myself why anyone would make tight trails two way trails...

I’ve seen single track dirtbike trails that allow traffic flow both directions with very twist twisty sections..and then people are shocked to learn that riders collide into each other....
Single track is one thing. But, one popular area around here has a pretty solid explanation. A trail could easily have two dramatically different ratings one way over the other. Suppose a new rider/driver finds they over estimated their abilities a quarter way through. Should they put themselves in danger after they realize their mistake, or turn around and potentially be a danger to others unaware of a wrong way rider/driver trying to get back out to the trailhead? It's a slippery subject really, but before I read that perspective, I was entirely in the same boat. Some places really could stand to go with one way systems, but its not a perfect solution everywhere.

Part of the problem here is they rent a lot of SxS's so tourists are using them that have little to no experience. They really have no awareness of what they are doing wrong. They're just out having a great time and being a typical tourist, but it's giving a bad name to the responsible riders. There's also a lot of camping in the national forest here and they bring their SxS's... I'm sure they're contributing to the problem also.
Here in the local SoCal mountain trails, it was so bad with the rentals that they closed all the trails and only allow street legal vehicles only. No we just have the A/holes with their brand new out of the box Unlimiteds.

Great topic and right on time. When I was a kid, I ran D37 desert (on two wheels). Often the course would cross SCORE or other BITD type of courses. I would try to stay out of the turns, because the turns were double rutted and silty, could not tell how deep or what was at the bottom. A few months ago, we were doing "secret pass" out of Bullhead. I noted the same style of ruts and wondered if they were from a race, even commented on it that it looked like a race had been through, but maybe a while ago. While stopped for lunch, we watched at least ten of these things race through and power into the corners and rip out like a slingshot, no care in the world, certainly no thought of oncoming vehicles or even hikers.

Reactions: GoldenEagle
Here in the local SoCal mountain trails, it was so bad with the rentals that they closed all the trails and only allow street legal vehicles only. No we just have the A/holes with their brand new out of the box Unlimiteds.
Aholes come in all shapes and sizes. There's no avoiding them. Also, I try not to be a Jeep elitist, but 2 more doors on a Wrangler and a plethora of deep pocket packages has really changed the brand and not for the better IMO.

NY has no fault insurance so regardless of the who or why of an accident your rates will still go up regardless. Yea! Ny.
Well, at least I have a rapey governor who killed thousands of older folks with the covid. Yea! Ny.
One of the things I won't miss about NY

One of the things I won't miss about NY
The exodus is real and how does NY combat that.....increase the living crap out of the taxes while still dolling out entitlements to whomever they can. Is it possible those who work might be sick of getting fleeced?

The exodus is real and how does NY combat that.....increase the living crap out of the taxes while still dolling out entitlements to whomever they can. Is it possible those who work might be sick of getting fleeced?
Ask people in CA? They have it worse and they are still there. Sometimes it is not so easy to just up and move..especially if you are earning enough to live there/here. I can't wait to get out, but still realistically have another 10 years here, so we just keep saving until the time comes.

Ask people in CA? They have it worse and they are still there. Sometimes it is not so easy to just up and move..especially if you are earning enough to live there/here. I can't wait to get out, but still realistically have another 10 years here, so we just keep saving until the time comes.
I Hear you, I shot a match with a guy from CA that retired from the Navy and had a good job and liked his home, neighborhood, life in general. He has no intention of leaving....yet. I guess he was only up to 975 cuts in the “death by 1000 cuts”. Tough to start a new.

I left Illinois for Indiana 11 years ago, it was easy as we were only about 12 miles from the border. Nothing has changed to make me regret it.

I like it here in California and have no intentions of leaving. I'm retired and can move if I like, but I'm not. The grass is not always greener on the other side.

I like it here in California and have no intentions of leaving. I'm retired and can move if I like, but I'm not. The grass is not always greener on the other side.
Both my wife and I are born and raised in SoCal. We just bought a lot up in NorCal and will building our retirement home there (4 more years!). The politics here may suck, but they suck everywhere. California has the most incredible geography and climate, you can go to the beach, then hit the high desert on your way to the ski slopes, in the same day. There is so much BLM and National forest land here, you'd be hard pressed to Jeep it all in your lifetime.

I live in a small midwestern college town in the middle of SoCal. I can hop in the jeep and be in the middle of nowhere in the mountains in less than 30 min. I complain if it takes me more than 5 min to get across town or if it gets below 50 degrees. I came from Wisconsin in 79 with no money and was able to retire 35 years later at 56 with no official pension. This is truly the “Golden State” if you possess the right skills.

The difference between here and where most of you live can be summed up like this.
Other places: Hey if the weather is good do you want to go wheeling this weekend?
Where I live: Hey do you want to go wheeling this weekend?

Yes LA and San Francisco suck but I don’t have to go there so who cares. Don’t believe everything the Media puts out there.

Both my wife and I are born and raised in SoCal. We just bought a lot up in NorCal and will building our retirement home there (4 more years!). The politics here may suck, but they suck everywhere. California has the most incredible geography and climate, you can go to the beach, then hit the high desert on your way to the ski slopes, in the same day. There is so much BLM and National forest land here, you'd be hard pressed to Jeep it all in your lifetime.
You hit the nail on the head! I was also going to mention about ALL the National Forest land and BLM land we have to explore in our Jeeps and even SxSs. I'm in Northern California.

Looks like this conversation would fit right in at the Piss & Moan thread!

Reactions: RINC