Korra, a daily driven and trail ready Sahara

Nice Jeep. My 2000 green Sahara started out bone stock, just like yours. If you don't already have the M.O.R.E. dead pedals, I highly recommend them for both driver and passenger. They're relatively inexpensive and super easy to install. Between those pedals and solid mounted Grabars, passengers can really sort of lock themselves into the seat so they don't get bounced around much anymore. You'll also appreciate that pedal when driving longer distances because you'll have a much improved place to rest your left foot.

https://mountainoffroad.com/collections/dead-pedals/products/dead-pedal-driver-tj
https://grabarsusa.com/jeep-grabars...eep-wrangler-tj-lj-steel-grab-handles-grabars
Great thread to follow, gives me all sorts of ideas to spend even more money on my Jeep!
Ive been looking at those M.O.R.E. dead pedals for a while, i might have to pull the trigger on one for the drivers side sooner rather than later!

That’s a awsome build. I’m just starting on my tj. What kind of lockers u use and still good for road driving ?
Thanks! So my Jeep has a spartan locker in the front, i like it as it does its job in the terrain i deal with but it is terrible in snow. As far as the rear goes i have a detroit trutrac which does a damn good job considering its not a true locker.

Spent this Tuesday and Wednesday out on Deer Valley trail again. As usual it was a fun couple days, even got pops cj5 out on the trail for the first time in a while!
99A8FA6F-A3D4-4957-9486-502F6E3483BB.jpeg
5020B061-79E0-4F18-8791-79A79CF04897.jpeg
4128F3EC-CC11-4A89-883A-56A21774FEDD.jpeg
65793A1C-FEAF-4D39-920B-C8A26A1D8B97.jpeg
380D2834-8F97-4FEA-9332-ECEE235EBC8A.jpeg

Both Jeep’s held together pretty well, my tj had no problems so i cant complain. My dads cj lost a locking hub but other than that came out unscathed.

In July of 2017 i sold my mildly built 1997 Cherokee and picked up my dream Jeep, an immaculate, bone stock 5-speed 1997 Sahara with only 109k miles. My plans were to keep it stock and daily it college and eventually make it a trail rig once i got myself another vehicle to daily. It only took a few months for those plans to be thrown out the window and i began my build.
View attachment 122665View attachment 122666
As mentioned above this isnt my first rodeo as far as building Jeeps goes, i built a 1997 Cherokee as my high school car and loved it. Halfway through College i decided i wanted to try something different which is when i sold it for my TJ. Here is a pic for reference of my old XJ. It was on a 4.5 Rusty's lift IRO long arms, Bilsteins and 32" ko2's.View attachment 122667
So to start my new tj build i decided on a Zone 3 inch lift kit as it was budget friendly and had very good reviews, that lift did very well for me and gave me just enough room to fit the used 33's i had bought off of one of my customers at Napa for $250.View attachment 122668
The Zone lift and Rusty's Track Bar went on with few issues and gave me a great feeling setup for street use. At this point i had a 40 minute commute to work a few times a week, although the suspension was good the bald Pro Comp mud terrains made a deafening noise and my next mod was decided, a set of General Grabber X3's in a 33x12.50r15 flavor would be next.
View attachment 122669View attachment 122670
After getting the General's it was time to see how she would do offroad so off to Hollister we went and even ran into an old friend. I was amazed how well the tj did with how little i had done to it, I was able to keep up with my old long arm Cherokee with ease and was able to follow a JK on 35's we had with us through anything he tried and at this point I was hooked and ready to get more serious about wheeling this Jeep and take it to the next level but first i needed a winch and some rock sliders.
View attachment 122671
Next thing i did was get a bumper that would accept a winch and after a lot of searching i came across this Motobilt bumper, to my eyes this is the best looking bumper on a TJ so I pulled the trigger and got it powdercoated at a local shop.
View attachment 122673
After i got the bumper i quickly ordered a set of Motobilt Rock Sliders and a Warn VR-8 winch, if i could do it over again i would have got the synthetic rope due to the weight of the steel requiring a 1 1/4 inch spacer to keep it level even with the hard top on and i may still switch one of these days. This is also my first time taking her down a real trail, it made Slick Rock look like a cake walk and continued to impress me with the capabilities.
View attachment 122672
Back to Hollister we went, this time to test out my new Spartan Locker up front, this trip i went with a local Cherokee club and it was a blast. The locker made things so much easier which pushed me to trying more and more extreme obstacles. This trip marked her last trip with the stock transfer case as well as it destroyed itself on the last trail of the day. The build had begun to spiral out of control as by the end of the week i had a 4.3:1 Atlas II on order which still is my favorite thing ive done to this Jeep.
View attachment 122675
The Process of installing the Atlas was fairly easy, we used the stock skid plate but modified it to accept the more forward transmission mount but if your doing this swap i would recommend the Barnes bolt on 1/4 Skid as it has an adjustable trans mount and makes it nearly a bolt on install as i learned a few months down the line after i inverted the stock skid. I opted to stick with 1310 driveshafts from Adams Driveshaft as id had good luck with them in the past. Around the time the Jeep came back on the road I decided I wanted to carry a spare tire and got a used Crawler Concepts body mounted tire carrier and also got a rear bumper from Crawltek Revolution so i could have some rear recovery points.
View attachment 122677View attachment 122678
This tire carrier has been pretty good to me, it is very quiet most of the time but it does require re-tightening every so often even when using blue loctite. The rear bumper has done well for me as well, only major issue is that its impossible to get all the bolts in the back as you must drop the gas tank to get to them but you must remove the bumper to drop the tank. Around this time I also went and installed Cavfab steering i had from back when I was building the Cherokee after I tacoed the steering on a trip to Deer Valley trail and did 4.56 gears in both axles for better road manners. For the rest of the season I wheeled with no issues, that is until the last run of the season when my dana 35 decided it had enough and snapped an alloy shaft on Slick Rocks new Gauntlet.
View attachment 122680View attachment 122681
We through the stock shafts back in and drove her off the trail and back home where i began formulating my plan to make sure this never happened again. I decided to build a Ford 8.8 and put my tax return to good use and picked one up out of a 2000 Exploder from a local junkyard. I went through and got the brackets, brake lines, brakes, G2 4.56 Gears and a Motobilt diff cover then proceeded to procrastinate until the beginning of the next season to build it. In the meantime I ordered a full set of Poison Spyder 3" Defenders to replace my old badly cut stock fenders. I also had ripped my drivers seat so i replaced it with a PRP Daily Driver in tan and black, this seat is easily one of my favorite mods and is extremely comfortable, it also allows me to sit further back from the wheel which even at a modest 6 foot tall is quite nice.
View attachment 122683View attachment 122684
Now she had become a fine looking Jeep, now i had to make her perform as well as she looked which meant finally building that Ford 8.8 which would also be my first mig welding project, the welds are definitely ugly but they sure have held up well. Inside the 8.8 I have a Detroit Trutrac and a pair of Yukon alloy shafts powered by a set of G2 4.56 gears.
View attachment 122686
View attachment 122687
We got the 8.8 in in the span of about 2 weeks along with a RE rear track bar to center it, when building the axle i thought id be able to get away with using the stock control arms which ended up not being the case as the 8.8 exaggerated the already bad driveline angle so i ordered a set of Trail Logic Industries adjustable heim joint control arms which took a while to arrive but once they did they were a breeze to install and dont ride near as harsh as the internet says heims will.
View attachment 122688View attachment 122689View attachment 122690
After the first trip to Deer Valley with the 8.8 it had proven its worth, only drawback is it seems to hang lower than the old 35 and dragged over quite a few more rocks. The control arms were quiet which was a welcome surprise and are plenty flexible for my setup. Note that smashed gas tank skid, it had been through hell so time to change it up and gear up for the big one, the Rubicon.
View attachment 122692
Skid plate wise I went with Under Cover Fabworks no body lift steel skid, install was simple and took only an hour or 2. After this I felt it was time to try the Rubicon so a few weeks later we gave it a try.
View attachment 122693
View attachment 122694View attachment 122695
I was extremely happy with how my Jeep performed on the Rubicon and i have no doubt it would have gone the whole way through. Sadly the YJ that we brought with us broke his driveshaft trying to follow me over the Little Sluice then proceeded to taco his drag link and to top it off his battery died so i got to do 4 miles towing him out and some how didn't break anything which was amazing. After this trip I found my Jeep dragged over everything and that i now need 35's. First thing i did when i got home was ordered some 4.5 RE springs to afford me room for 35s and proceeded to get a set of Fox shocks for a steal from a local 4x4 shop.
View attachment 122696
At this point the Jeep looks ridiculous and luckily settled 1.5 inches all around after a few days. With 1 trip down Deer Valley and Slick Rock i can say with confidence a little extra height and better shocks makes a great difference.
View attachment 122697
And this brings us to current as of Halloween 2019. Jeep is ready for winter and in need of 35s, next things will probably be making it better on the road as with the top on it is deafening inside and as hot as a furnace and after trying to wheel with the hardtop down Sour Grass trail i may go soft top. I will continue to update this thread as the Jeep gets more mods or develops more problems.
Hey I was wondering at any point did you end up keeping the stock front axle or did you change it out as well.

Reactions: Justin Homan
That's g

Ios to know I'm in the process of upgrading my stock dana 30 and was just kind of wondering how it held up with 35's
Ive done a few gnarly trips with the 35's and the dana 30, namely the Rubicon, and i couldn't be happier with how its held up so far!

Reactions: Alex01
Thanks! It latches super easy tbh, kinda need to lift in since im missing the little bushings that go on the stock arms but its pretty smooth. Its a Crawler Conceptz carrier, theyre expensive but i got mine used for like $250.

edit: if anyone knows where i can get the little hinge bushings please let me know. I havent been able to find them in my searching.
Does your tire carrier have any support on the inside of the vehicle?

I'm interested to know as well. Although when I called them last week to ask questions, I got an automated message saying they are sadly not accepting anymore orders.

Bummed me out because I was really getting ready to try to pull the trigger on that carrier.

Sorry it took so long to reply, you caught me a few days after i left for Navy bootcamp. That tire carrier has no supports on the inside, it uses the same nutstrip the stock tailgate hinges do. If you do end up going with that tire carrier id recommend corners to strengthen it cause after dropping it on rocks it has pulled on the tub a bit on my Jeep.

Reactions: 02GreenTJ
Sorry it took so long to reply, you caught me a few days after i left for Navy bootcamp. That tire carrier has no supports on the inside, it uses the same nutstrip the stock tailgate hinges do. If you do end up going with that tire carrier id recommend corners to strengthen it cause after dropping it on rocks it has pulled on the tub a bit on my Jeep.
Thanks for your service.

View attachment 150985View attachment 150986
Still dont have the rear shocks on but these happened today.... All i can say is holy sh*t they are perfect. 35x12.50r15 Yokohama Geolandar G003 wrapped around a set of Raceline Defender 935m, specs on the wheel are 15x8 -24 offset (3.50bs). By the end of the week shell be back to being my daily driver.
Do you still like the Yokohamas? Also what do they measure to on the Jeep? I was thinking of running them on my Jeep

Reactions: Justin Homan
Do you still like the Yokohamas? Also what do they measure to on the Jeep? I was thinking of running them on my Jeep

I really liked those tires, they had a shit load of grip on rocks and in mud. I wish i could comment on the longevity and wet weather handling of them but i never put that many miles on them. If i remember right they measured very close to 35 inches but ill see if i can have my dad measure them for height. I would definitely buy them again, the offroad performance really impressed me, the rubicon trip I went on got pretty nasty weather wise and they didnt let me down. Also the sidewalls fold over stuff nicely and not to mention they look great!
5C99AE84-EDE8-4669-961B-C9C101C78454.jpeg

I really liked those tires, they had a shit load of grip on rocks and in mud. I wish i could comment on the longevity and wet weather handling of them but i never put that many miles on them. If i remember right they measured very close to 35 inches but ill see if i can have my dad measure them for height. I would definitely buy them again, the offroad performance really impressed me, the rubicon trip I went on got pretty nasty weather wise and they didnt let me down. Also the sidewalls fold over stuff nicely and not to mention they look great!View attachment 202774
Thank you for the feedback! I'm still between these and MTRs.

New changes! To prep my Jeep for an upcoming move to San Diego I had my dad do a little work on the sound system. For a head unit i went with the Alpine ilx-w650 along with the Metra double din install kit which Crutchfield hooked up a good deal on when ordering as a set. Since I havent been home I had my dad do the installation and my parents surprised me with a 400w Skar amp and full set of Skar speakers! The Jeeps finally got a good sound system and having apple carplay will make it feel like a new car.
83D04F7D-1AEC-4308-80F2-A39964428524.jpeg

The install looks very clean although the one issue i have with the metra kit is that the factory ash tray isnt compatable. Overall i am happy with it and will make my upcoming trip a lot nicer!

Well this post is not 100% Jeep related but the Jeep will now be sharing daily driver duties with my new toy. Welcome everybody to my new to me 2004 Evo VIII SSL!
405BA2FF-990C-4D32-983B-3BB28E645781.jpeg

Having another car means i can send it harder on these San Diego trails and not have to worry about driving the Jeep to the hangar and if i break the Evo at a track day then i can drive the Jeep! Im sooo excited about this new addition!