What hardware do I need for first time OEM soft top install?

Do you have the rear brackets that hold the tailgate bar to the tub? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076Y139ZP/?tag=wranglerorg-20 (you’ll need a left and right)

Another thing to consider are the Bestop quick disconnects for the knuckles. Tool-free install and removal of the top. https://www.bestop.com/jeep/2017/wrangler/bow-knuckles/door/2/
Wait a second. What exactly are those for? I don't have anything quick disconnect that I know of and I don't mess with the frame when folding the top back it just folds back. Am I doing something wrong? Lol

Wait a second. What exactly are those for? I don't have anything quick disconnect that I know of and I don't mess with the frame when folding the top back it just folds back. Am I doing something wrong? Lol
They just make installing the bows to or removing the bows from the brackets a tool-free job. They work the same as the stock hardware when folding the top up or down.

Reactions: R3ID05TJ
They just make installing the bows to or removing the bows from the brackets a tool-free job. They work the same as the stock hardware when folding the top up or down.
Stupid question.... So is that just for taking the entire top with frame on or off the jeep?

I was asking if the Supertop NX is the same header as the oem. I think that is the case, but the Supertop (no NX) is different.
I dont think it is? I have the OEM factory sunrider and I think the NX has a slightly different folding mechanism on top of the door surrounds. OEM "without" the sunrider would be a different header as well, My OEM has 2 sockets moulded to the header one each side where the flip bows are fitted to.

Last edited:
Well, got my OEM soft top on for the first time. It was a bit of a learning curve, and a whole lot of pulling and tugging, but fits like a glove. The guy I bought it from said it had never been on-I am a believer. It is in great shape and was definitely in need of some stretching. Having the only experience in a standard drop-top convertible, this was a change. It is actually, a very, well thought out minimalist system.

Thanks for all the help everyone.

20210425_070638.jpg

20210425_070646.jpg

Finally got my top on. Bit of a learning curve since this is my first Jeep experience-It is a far cry from doing a standard drop-top convertible.
The guy I bought it from stated that the top had never been on, and I believe him! It was in need of a lot of tugging and pulling to get squared up. Once done though, it fit like a glove and not a mark on the windows or top. I find the flange attachments quite ingenious as to how they work-Simple, but effective.

Thanks for all the help and advice that got me here. As summer approaches (or what we call Summer in the Pacific Northwest) I am sure I will be getting some practice on taking it on and off.

20210425_070638.jpg

20210425_070646.jpg

I have a 2004 Wrangler that apparently was not outfitted for a soft top. I acquired an OEM (never out of the box) top with all the windows, door opening frames, etc...I have ordered a set of the Pivot Brackets for the bows. But do I need anything else (hardware-wise) for the header, tailgate, or whatever?

As always, thanks for all the help you provide.
You we need a Tailgate hatch seal and the brackets to install it. These are used to secure the back window to the frame in its closed position.
1619541138895.png

Dumb question. On my sons 99, we took the hard top off and put a soft top. It's a rampage black diamond. It has the full front doors. The kit we got was the full kit with hardware, however, it does not have surrounds. Are these needed when using the full door? I am inclined to get some, as I think it would look cleaner.

We are new to the Jeep world and still learning.

Dumb question. On my sons 99, we took the hard top off and put a soft top. It's a rampage black diamond. It has the full front doors. The kit we got was the full kit with hardware, however, it does not have surrounds. Are these needed when using the full door? I am inclined to get some, as I think it would look cleaner.

We are new to the Jeep world and still learning.
Yes, you need the door surrounds. The soft top attaches to surround in a groove to pull soft top taught. Also, the door seals against the surround to keep the water out. The surround does add support for the doors window frame too, otherwise the door frame around glass would crack at top of door panel from moving without support.

Yes, you need the door surrounds. The soft top attaches to surround in a groove to pull soft top taught. Also, the door seals against the surround to keep the water out. The surround does add support for the doors window frame too, otherwise the door frame around glass would crack at top of door panel from moving without support.
FC16279C-84BE-423C-880B-AA9C6565F66F.jpeg

This is how it looks. There is a support at the top now with the current hardware.

0924653B-8E12-4827-980C-78823B82A61F.jpeg