What is a SYE/CV driveshaft and why do I want one?

Once you get to your lift height it's time to install a SYE kit into the tcase (not a difficult job) and a CV driveshaft. At your lift height the OE driveshaft is too short. Once the SYE and CV driveshaft is installed you'll be able to remove the tcase drop. You'll need adjustable length rear control arms so the rear axle's pinion angle can be raised to meet the requirement of the CV driveshaft.

This is how the rear pinion angle needs to be raised for a CV driveshaft. The pinion shaft/angle needs to be raised so the pinion points directly at the CV joint, exactly in line with the driveshaft.

View attachment 85061
What SYE kits do you recommend? better yet, Which ones would you stay away from?

What SYE kits do you recommend? better yet, Which ones would you stay away from?
I haven't heard of any bad SYE kits. It seems they're generally made well enough that I've never seen a warning against any particular brand. Tom Wood sells a kit with both the SYE and CV driveshaft, you couldn't go wrong with it. www.4xshaft.com is their address. Tom's reputation is sterling, I've run probably 5 of his driveshafts over the years, he's a great guy and the pre/post sales support is unsurpassed.

Whatever you decide, I would request/insist the CV driveshaft be built with sealed Spicer 5-1310x u-joints and definitely avoid any made with greasable u-joints.

Caution that if you start getting recommendations for super-short or super-super-short SYE kits, understand that super-short SYEs eliminate the speedometer gear housing which means you have to buy and wire in an expensive electronic speedometer calibrator. I personally don't believe a super-short SYE is required for the lift heights we commonly run on our TJs. :)

Last edited:
Hi, new to the forum. I just bought an 04 rubicon and I really want to put 265 75 r16s on it. From what I’ve read, the best course is to put a 2 inch lift on it so theres no risk in rubbing when going off-road which I plan to do. My only question is I can’t get a clear answer on whether or not I should get a DC driveshaft or if 2 in wouldn’t be enough to cause any vibrations. I know each Jeep is different but I didn’t know if anyone had any experience with putting a 2 in lift on a Rubicon?

Hi, new to the forum. I just bought an 04 rubicon and I really want to put 265 75 r16s on it. From what I’ve read, the best course is to put a 2 inch lift on it so theres no risk in rubbing when going off-road which I plan to do. My only question is I can’t get a clear answer on whether or not I should get a DC driveshaft or if 2 in wouldn’t be enough to cause any vibrations. I know each Jeep is different but I didn’t know if anyone had any experience with putting a 2 in lift on a Rubicon?
2” is usually fine. That said, you could get vibes. If so, drop the tcase till you get a 1” MML or

EDIT: Rubicon just needs a longer driveshaft. Good catch by @Vasq below

Last edited:
I believe with Rubicon's there isn't a need for the SYE, because you have a different transfer case. Otherwise you're on the right path.