What is it supposed to look like in the hole above the front coil springs?

Vtx531

TJ Addict
I started picking and chipping away at it but thinking maybe I should try to know what it looks like when nice and clean to know what I'm doing.

Anyone have a photo of this spot?

C4754FAA-8D70-493A-A62B-226CBE5252B4.jpeg

The bump stop tube is just a closed off tube with a bolt sticking up into it from the cup. All that dried mud packed inside is a big rust sponge.

The bump stop tube is just a closed off tube with a bolt sticking up into it from the cup. All that dried mud packed inside is a big rust sponge.
So I should get to the bumpstop cup bolt eventually if I dig down far enough? Looks like that would be quite a way down there.

Reactions: WestCoastDan
So I should get to the bumpstop cup bolt eventually if I dig down far enough? Looks like that would be quite a way down there.
The inside is slightly smaller than the outside.

Once you get them all cleaned out and put back together, get yourself a couple of these 1.5" end caps, and jam them into the holes to keep out all of the new dirt.
1640149652989.png

Reactions: MountaineerTom
lol for the past 4 years i thought that tube was solid or closed with some sort of cap, 2 weeks ago i realized there is no cap and it is not solid, it was packed with hardened mud 😅

That is a head of m10x40 bolt sticking out, i thought i have cleaned it all out with pressure washer but looks like plenty left and some sort of washer to fish out.

signal-2021-12-21-235040_002.jpeg
signal-2021-12-21-235040_001.jpeg

How is that bolt still shiny? Did you already replace it? The whole thing looks pretty good overall.

I went mining with a hammer, chisel, air chisel, prybar, shop vac. I got down to the bolt but everything is a nasty, rusty mess in there. I filled the tube with water to try and soften the dirt and it actually leaked out in one spot where it was rusted all the way through to a pinhole.

I have new bumpstop cups ready to go in and why I started this thread.

After I get done wheeling I make sure to clean those things out good…one little pebble and it’s now a cup

When I worked on cleaning mine I was surprised when the drain holes showed up to let the water out. I used the garden hose followed by the air hose probably a dozen times. After letting it dry for a good week or so, I sprayed in there with Fluid Film then plugged up the holes with the 1-1/2" black rubber leg tips already mentioned. For some strange reason it took me a while to find them in black as most of the 1-1/2" ones I saw were white.

How is that bolt still shiny? Did you already replace it? The whole thing looks pretty good overall.

I went mining with a hammer, chisel, air chisel, prybar, shop vac. I got down to the bolt but everything is a nasty, rusty mess in there. I filled the tube with water to try and soften the dirt and it actually leaked out in one spot where it was rusted all the way through to a pinhole.

I have new bumpstop cups ready to go in and why I started this thread.
Yah new bolts, it is M10x1.5x35 available at home depot if you need it.

Reactions: Vtx531