What is the best riding and performing lift kit for my 2001 TJ?

That means if you want a soft ride get a soft spring. If you want a firmer ride get the firmer spring.

That's very vague. I've asked this question before and never get a useful answer on how to accomplish what you are trying to suggest.

All other components being equal, a softer rate spring will give a softer ride. It is that simple. It is that simple.
That is why coilovers use a light spring over a heavier spring. And they spend time trying to find the softest spring that will still support the machine.
A heavier spring will not deflect as much as a softer spring will going over any, and I mean ANY imperfection on or off the road.
What is the 'ideal' spring weight for a TJ? That depends on your TJs sprung weight and unsprung weight.
If you have springs with too high a spring rate it doesn't matter how great your shock is. The spring will simply deflect less than a softer spring.
The shock absorbers sole purpose is to limit and control the spring's movement. That is all a shock does. So if you have a spring that is too stiff to move than the shock does absolutely nothing. It just sits there waiting for the spring to either compress or extend.
This is why OME gives you options. And just the weight of a hard top is enough weight for them to reccomend a different spring rate. That's not some odd, irrelevant extreme. That's less than most of us weigh.
If spring rate made no difference then all these companies would sell the exact same spring. But they don't. They have their own idea what spring works.
This is why everyone says the OME gives the best ride. Not because of their control arms. Not because of their shocks. Its because they offer a softer spring.

Now tires are a different matter. They act before any other part of the suspension. What they do is to act as a pre-spring. That is why everyone with a way too stiff ride is told to lower their air pressure to the 24-28 psi zone. The softer tire helps absorb bumps before the axle moves and the springs/shocks take over. Tire too hard = harder ride.
Tire is softer = softer ride.
Just the same as the spring.
So if a few psi difference can change how the Jeep rides, why don't you think it would be the same for your springs?
I am all for a good discussion about this, but getting nasty insults is what the losing side normally does. Let's keep this polite please.

All other components being equal, a softer rate spring will give a softer ride. It is that simple. It is that simple.
That is why coilovers use a light spring over a heavier spring. And they spend time trying to find the softest spring that will still support the machine.
A heavier spring will not deflect as much as a softer spring will going over any, and I mean ANY imperfection on or off the road.
What is the 'ideal' spring weight for a TJ? That depends on your TJs sprung weight and unsprung weight.
If you have springs with too high a spring rate it doesn't matter how great your shock is. The spring will simply deflect less than a softer spring.
The shock absorbers sole purpose is to limit and control the spring's movement. That is all a shock does. So if you have a spring that is too stiff to move than the shock does absolutely nothing. It just sits there waiting for the spring to either compress or extend.
This is why OME gives you options. And just the weight of a hard top is enough weight for them to reccomend a different spring rate. That's not some odd, irrelevant extreme. That's less than most of us weigh.
If spring rate made no difference then all these companies would sell the exact same spring. But they don't. They have their own idea what spring works.
This is why everyone says the OME gives the best ride. Not because of their control arms. Not because of their shocks. Its because they offer a softer spring.

Now tires are a different matter. They act before any other part of the suspension. What they do is to act as a pre-spring. That is why everyone with a way too stiff ride is told to lower their air pressure to the 24-28 psi zone. The softer tire helps absorb bumps before the axle moves and the springs/shocks take over. Tire too hard = harder ride.
Tire is softer = softer ride.
Just the same as the spring.
So if a few psi difference can change how the Jeep rides, why don't you think it would be the same for your springs?
I am all for a good discussion about this, but getting nasty insults is what the losing side normally does. Let's keep this polite please.

At the end of the day, the springs on CO's are the result of needing to find a combination of springs that provide the desired ride height for the vehicle and the needed free length to support the shock travel. Nothing more nothing less. The ride is controlled by the shock valving.

To the extent that we are able to do so with our separate coils and shocks, the concerns and desires are identical. No two OME coils provide the same ride height on the same Jeep. The free lengths are going to be sufficient for most so long as the basic guidelines of shock sizing are practiced and the build is balanced.

A spring can only react to the force that is placed upon it. A 900lb corner is the same 900lb corner regardless if it is being supported at a stock ride height or a 4" lifted ride height.

Broadly speaking, a spring needs to provide a certain ride height and needs to fit within a certain space. It also needs to compress into a certain amount of space and extend to a certain length to support the shock travel. These packaging restrictions are going to result in a fairly narrow range of spring designs for a desired ride height. Meaning the ride quality provide isn't going to be very different between the available options for the desired ride height. Trying to find the difference in ride quality been these springs is a waste of time, especially when the ride height is going to vary and effect the behavior of the shock.

Last edited:
I’ve read through this thread and I have to say if I was the OP I’d be more confused than before I posted the thread.

Not everything has to be a scientific discussion. It’s a Jeep and he’s going to get groceries in it. Put the OME springs and Rancho shocks on it as suggested or go with the Zone 3” kit which is highly regarded around here for light duty off-roading.

I’ve read through this thread and I have to say if I was the OP I’d be more confused than before I posted the thread.

Not everything has to be a scientific discussion. It’s a Jeep and he’s going to get groceries in it. Put the OME springs and Rancho shocks on it as suggested or go with the Zone 3” kit which is highly regarded around here for light duty off-roading.

The take away is very simple. Springs establish the ride height. Shocks determine the ride. Don't get distracted by things that don't matter.

I've played the spring game and have delved fairly deep into shocks. Shocks are incredibly important. Springs are basic.

FWiW, this is my grocery getter and it drives 75mph one handed on twisty mountain highways to the trail.
20200606_123541.jpg

Reactions: Sancho
The take away is very simple. Springs establish the ride height. Shocks determine the ride. Don't get distracted by things that don't matter.

I've played the spring game and have delved fairly deep into shocks. Shocks are incredibly important. Springs are basic.

FWiW, this is my grocery getter and it drives 75mph one handed on twisty mountain highways to the trail.
View attachment 168137
Understood. I was just trying to help the OP answer his question of looking for a light duty lift around 2.5”

Reactions: TJ Starting
Another thing I would add is that my factory control arm bushings were completely shot when I bought my Jeep. You can buy a whole new set of factory control arms with bushings for around $200 on Amazon and if yours are done like mine were, this will also dramatically improve your ride quality.

Understood. I was just trying to help the OP answer his question of looking for a light duty lift around 2.5”

The same rules apply. He doesn't need to concern himself with tuning the ride through springs any more than I do. Establish the ride height and then focus on the shocks.

Reactions: Rubicon John
Another thing I would add is that my factory control arm bushings were completely shot when I bought my Jeep. You can buy a whole new set of factory control arms with bushings for around $200 on Amazon and if yours are done like mine were, this will also dramatically improve your ride quality.

Very true. Tight snug connections make for a well behaved Jeep.

Reactions: Rubicon John
Im looking to buy a 2.5” lift kit looking to put bigger tires on it and hoping to improve ride also. Will be doing occasional off roading but mainly on road grocery getter. Really looking to improve ride along with bigger tires. Any help in deciding is appreciated
OP, if you were not confused before you should be by now.

Ride quality is a subjective measurement, what a rock crawler calls good ride quality a desert runner or over lander would find lacking. Based on your limited description of your requirements I would steer you towards the OME springs in the lower spring rate with a Bilstein shock. This should give you lift you want with more travel and a compliant ride for a DD. Additionally replace the control arms with stock replacements when you change your springs.

OP, if you were not confused before you should be by now.

Ride quality is a subjective measurement, what a rock crawler calls good ride quality a desert runner or over lander would find lacking. Based on your limited description of your requirements I would steer you towards the OME springs in the lower spring rate with a Bilstein shock.

Bilsteins provide a nice jittery ride in my experience and observations. Despite their popularity, they are not a good shock for a lighter weight TJ.

Regarding the springs AGAIN. What if the OP can't find an OME coil in the lighter spring rate that provides the ride height he is after?

Stop confusing him.

Bilsteins provide a nice jittery ride in my experience and observations. Despite their popularity, they are not a good shock for a lighter weight TJ.

Regarding the springs AGAIN. What if the OP can't find an OME coil in the lighter spring rate that provides the ride height he is after?

Stop confusing him.
You are aware that Bilstein makes several different shocks that will fit a TJ/LJ with different compression/rebound valving? Just call Bilstein and they work with you to get the right shock for your application.

You are aware that Bilstein makes several different shocks that will fit a TJ/LJ with different compression/rebound valving? Just call Bilstein and they work with you to get the right shock for your application.

Fair enough. When most read Bilstein in a Jeep context, most are going to assume the 5100. You didn't specify either. Beyond that, I still don't know what a good bilstein for a TJ would be. None of that changes the spring discussion.

I went through the same arguing with myself over the springs. Ultimately when I discovered that the difference in spring rate between the light and heavy duty OMEs is only 20 pounds I just got the HDs.

If there's any possible chance you may put more armor, bumpers, winch, etc... then get the HDs for sure. And if not, you'll get a 1/2 inch or so more lift from the HD. And I can't imagine 20 pounds difference in spring rate will affect the ride quality to any significant degree.

Reactions: Bill M. and jjvw

Stop confusing him.

Stop confusing him.
A soft spring and stiff spring can both achieve the same lift. The soft spring will just be longer uncompressed. So long as the soft spring does not have coil bind at full compression it will give a customer a better ride until it hits the bump stop.

Reactions: Tob and Goatman
I went through the same arguing with myself over the springs. Ultimately when I discovered that the difference in spring rate between the light and heavy duty OMEs is only 20 pounds I just got the HDs.

Exactly. And do you recall the varying differences in the free lengths? Ride height cannot be understood without knowing both the rate and free length.

Reactions: Bill M.