What is the best trim restorer out there?

X2 to this. We did this on my buddies TJ and it turned out amazing!
At the bottom of the Amazon page was a listing for some Transtar stuff. I've used other products from them so I ordered their trim paint in satin and I'll do the gray flares on one end with that and then the Color Coat on the other end and see how they hold up out here.

Reactions: Chris
Not sure if you are familiar with the sun in this area, but it tends to be fairly brutal to paint and uncoated plastic.

I am very familiar with the Southern California sun. I now live in an area where the summer sun is even harder on automotive plastics, which I never thought possible. Chalky black plastic trim and burned/blistered clearcoat are common occurrences here.

As noted, my personal preference is to avoid painting fender flares until less permanent solutions no longer work. After that - paint away! I've saved your SEM paint preferences in my jeep folder for that day.

Here is the SEM I mentioned above. 3 years, always in the sun.
View attachment 95816
The step and bumper end caps are typical of what happens. Another of a new set of OEM flares that I put on about a year before I painted the ones on the red Jeep.
View attachment 95822
License plate holder that looked like the flares on the orange rig that I painted at the same time as the flares.
View attachment 95823
Here is the SEM I mentioned above. 3 years, always in the sun.
View attachment 95816
The step and bumper end caps are typical of what happens. Another of a new set of OEM flares that I put on about a year before I painted the ones on the red Jeep.
View attachment 95822
License plate holder that looked like the flares on the orange rig that I painted at the same time as the flares.
View attachment 95823
Looks good @mrblaine!
Did you need to do any special prep or primer?
The PO of my TJ painted the fenders and it’s looking bad and it has come off where it has taken an hit and flexed. Do you think I should sand off all the existing paint?
If I do sand off the paint then there will be a texture issue.
Last question is 2 cans of each enough?
Thanks in advance.
Ben

The heat gun method works - for a while. The better dressings work - for a while. Paint also works - until its time for another coat of paint.

Pick your poison. Some methods are quick, some take hours. Some are cheap, others aren't. None reverse the oxidation process.

I generally try to avoid painting fender flairs until nothing else works because once you paint 'em black you can't go back. But that's just personal preference. I have also avoided the heat gun method because of the many reports that over time it dries out the vinyl which can in turn actually accelerate oxidation.

I've used Meguire's Ultimate Black Plastic Restorer with acceptable results, but for fender flares and vinyl trim still in reasonably good shape I've found that all that is really required is a quick wipe down with a sponge or cloth dampened with my preferred tire dressing: original satin finish No Touch Tire Care. Cheap, easy, and takes only a few seconds.

View attachment 95494

View attachment 95495

My fender flares were gray-ish before I tried the Meguiar's ultimate black. I had to put on about 4 coats to get it looking like I wanted it, but now 1 coat about every 3-4 weeks is all that is needed to keep them looking good.

Have also used this Rust-Oleum Trim & Bumper Black Paint with good success. I f just faded grey a simple scrub down with something like acetone and a scotchbrite to remove grease and oils and paint. No priming sanding needed unless you have scratches your trying to get out but if a textured finish that's a no joy. As long as you spray it on a clean surface I've never seen it peel or flake. It's a trim/bumper paint so it has flex agent in it.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Rust-Ole...Zsf_gfGw6OBmlGwl71F0DQ_eMfoQ-2kRoCJdoQAvD_BwE

Last edited:
If you're going to paint them on the Jeep, use thin cardboard to slide in behind the trim. File folders cut up work great. I used Fusion paint and it's held up going over two years but that SEM stuff would be an excellent choice.

Prep - some of the professionals use Eradicator but you can use Naptha (camping fuel). It is safe on plastics, dries immediately, and will remove all the silicone-based treatments that may have been used. Do that twice. Follow up with a coat of Adhesion Promoter and 3-4 light coats of paint. It will last for years and you can easily touch it up if you get a scrape.

Holy smokes, thanks! I didn't order nearly enough, I'm glad I didn't start yet!
That's a lot of paint. prep is the key. What it looks like without the paint is what it's gonna look like with it just different color. Your not looking for a bottomless deep gloss finish that you need extra on there to cut and buff. Like a dent in a car, doesn't matter how much paint you put on it, it's still gonna be there when your done. I'd say couple light coats and then a wet one should cover it very sufficiently. By time you buy all that paint at $17 bucks a can and your time you might as well just order a new set and be done and save yourself the headache.

I’ve had decent luck with Mother’s back to black trim restorer. Have to do it every couple months. It’s a spray on and walk away deal. It’s easy and convenient. For 7- 8 bucks a can, and one can does all four fenders, license plate bracket and tail lights. I’ve used pig spit, for black Harley motors. Works just as well, but about twice as much per can.

I used Penatrol by FLOOD on my hard top. Without a shadow of a doubt, it has restored the top in better than new condition. I was amazed at the outcome and still amazed of the length of time it has lasted in the heat, cold, rain and sunshine of Mississippi.
SO just to come back over a year later 08/20/2019 and my hard top still looks great. The Penatrol by FLOOD has done a great job.

Reactions: Imapepper
The fenders on my Jeep have gotten gray and faded over the years. I have the original fenders and I don’t want to pay for new ones just yet. What is the best trim restorer that you have used? I have also seen people use heat guns to darken the plastic too. I don’t want it to be too much money but I also want it to work well, so I’ll dish out a little more money for a good one. I also have a heat gun at home but I’m not sure how well that method works. Thanks for the feedback!

I use Forever Black