What is the stereo in your TJ? Double, single or maybe basic?

Are you saying that you can install a stock radio from a later model TJ into an early model TJ and you just need to use the appropriate bezel? I’d also like to go back to a stock radio for my ‘97 TJ.
Unfortunately, this isn't necessarily the case. Even if you can find a radio from a different year that fits, it still may not work. I got a stereo from 1factoryradio.com that was almost the exact same as my current cd player (stock for '06 SE), but it had a tape deck instead. I got it fully installed and thought everything was gravy...until I realized that it was periodically shutting off on its own.

Apparently something was different with the voltage or something, so it wouldn't run for more than a few min without shutting down. I called 1FactoryRadio customer service and asked about it and they confirmed that the only radio that would work for my Jeep is another of the exact same with a cd player. Since the whole selling point for me was getting a tape deck for some sweet, sweet nostalgia, I just did a straight up return instead of an exchange.

It was really disappointing since I love the look and feel of the stock stereo, but I also wish I could play cassettes and music on my phone. I'll probably just see about modding my own aux jack or bluetooth to the stereo I have someday, but until then I'm just cruising with my cd collection and the radio for music.

I’ve heard that you can use these but I’ve never tried one. I just took a screenshot. Sorry that I couldn’t include an Amazon link.
F20FF91E-6BF8-47D0-814D-EBDD98D64B34.png

All of those FM transmitter audio products are a bit shoddy. Their performance depends on how clean of an FM radio channel wave you can get, which means that it functions ok at best, but you'll often get interference at various places as you drive around.

But they do at least work and they tend to be pretty cheap.

Reactions: RussTJ
Have a 05 TJ my stock front speakers are the 4" round with a 2" tweeter on top both seem to be seperate pieces, been looking all over and everything I am finding is how to change out the 4"x6", anyone just use a similar speaker set up? If so what speakers did you use?

Thanks Edward and IPerk.

Does anyone have any experience running a flip up head unit? The reason why I ask is that those may not be as sturdy as a single piece, especially on a very bumpy Jeep ride.

I put a Pioneer flip up in my wifes 'burb, not sure how sturdy they really are but on highway it seems to be fine but when she's on our gravel rd she closes it cause it moves so much she's afraid it will break off, its in a 3/4t 4x4 suburban so its pretty rough anyway, but it does seem pretty fragile.

They probably do just fine on rough trails as long as they are closed, and they are nice once parked to be able to watch dvd's.

Have a 05 TJ my stock front speakers are the 4" round with a 2" tweeter on top both seem to be seperate pieces, been looking all over and everything I am finding is how to change out the 4"x6", anyone just use a similar speaker set up? If so what speakers did you use?

4x6 coaxial is the correct speaker, and a 5.25" will also fit. Just go to Crutchfield as they have many options and will include for free, mounting brackets (4x6 or 5.25"), plus pigtails (wire connections) for an easy install.

You can go cheap with Sound Ordinance for like $30, $50 for Kicker or $80 for Polk.

I also recommend doing your overhead speaker pods, they take 5.25" and are truly plug n play. You can fit a 6.5" with a slight mod, basically new screwholes.

Reactions: Blank
i did a kenwood single din head unit cant remember the model and polk 5.25 in the dash and 6.5s in the sound pods. i love it i just need some mroe bass so ill eventually get a powered sub in there. maybe even a small amp for the polks i dont know yet

Reactions: skrelnik
i did a kenwood single din head unit cant remember the model and polk 5.25 in the dash and 6.5s in the sound pods. i love it i just need some mroe bass so ill eventually get a powered sub in there. maybe even a small amp for the polks i dont know yet

Filling the bass is a huge, a powered sub would really help out, possibly under the seat. A quality will open up the Polk speakers as well, even just a 2 channel amplifier for the overhead speaker pods, like an Arc Audio KS 125.2 mini is an ideal mate for those Polks.

How has the experience been with the like-for-like swap of the head units? I want to try and keep mine stock appearance, but with some modern conveniences.
It's a very simple install. Just a few screws to get the front cover off, then one nut in the back of the unit itself that's there for security. Beyond that, it's all plug and play.

It's a very simple install. Just a few screws to get the front cover off, then one nut in the back of the unit itself that's there for security. Beyond that, it's all plug and play.

Cool. And the modification works well with no issues? Assuming I get one that is a direct swap for what I originally had.

Cool. And the modification works well with no issues? Assuming I get one that is a direct swap for what I originally had.
Yup, it worked like a charm.

Admittedly, when I got one, as mentioned before, I tried to get a version with a tape deck (from older model of Wrangler), so I had some issues with it periodically shutting off on me, but this was just because it wasn't fully compatible with my year of Jeep. However, it worked for a short while before cutting out and I was able to switch between the aux jack, radio, and tape deck easily and all three worked fine.

Reactions: Fouledplugs
This was a great read, especially hearing everyones different head units and setups they have......I am an audio J U N K I E! Every single car I have ever owned has been an audio challenge to me - but my Jeep is going to be a whole new beast. I love my music, and I know the Jeep wasn't put on this planet for its audio prowess . But needless to say, I have already started on it. As of today, my Jeep is sitting stripped out. My Noico 80 mil sound deadener showed up today and I will be starting on the tomorrow. As for sound and head units - I've always been partial to Alpine. Went over to Pioneer head units for awhile, but back to Alpine. Speakers and head units are like lift kits and tire/wheel combos - EVERYONE has an opinion as to what they think is best - this is just my preference.

Head Unit: Alpine iLX-107 (double din)

I like this head unit as I am a fan of Apple CarPlay. I HATE Siri (Android Auto is MUCH better IMO for this) but since the addition of Waze into CarPlay - I'm back to loving Apple over Android. The main reason I picked this unit is it has "wireless" CarPlay built in. No need to plug in the a lightning cable for it to work. They talk to each other initially via bluetooth, then the head unit creates its own 5gHz network in which the phone connects to the head unit - LOVE that.

Front Speakers: Alpine SPR-50 (5 1/4")

Rear Speakers: Alpine R-S65 (6 1/2")

I actually prefer Alpine's 'X' series of speakers, but decided to go down a grade and install their 'R' series. Love the clarity, power management and acoustical properties of Alpines speakers. Again - this varies to each individuals ears!

(2) 10" KickerComp RT Subs

Mostly went with these due to the flexibility in the range of airspace for a sealed sub. I also went with 2 ohm subs, so I can wire them in series to maintain a two ohm load on the single channel of the amp.

Amplifier: I currently own this amp...

...but from my experience with the new "Mini" amps, I am looking at going to these two amps.........the JBL is VERY compact and I can mount the one Alpine underneath the dash.......The JBL GTR-601 for the dual subs and the Alpine KTP-445A for the dash speakers and the roll bar speakers.

Subwoofer Box

Spoke to the owner of this company a few times and they have been amazingly responsive and EXTREMELY helpful in their product and the implementation of the other components (subs and amp).

A couple more opinions on stereo systems. I am a HUGE advocate of sealed sub boxes over ported boxes. A sealed box takes more clean power to power them, but I love how the bass tends to stay more "in" your ride (yes I know that's an oxymoron in a Jeep) then advertising it to everyone outside. I DO try to respect peoples right to not hearing my music, but at the same time - right time and the right place (Pismo Dunes) it is nice to have some tuneage!

Here was the Jeep when I tore out the interior:
IMG_5029.JPG

And here it is as of tonight, before I lay down the sound deadening and the new BedRug as well:
cb22m-lea1s.jpg

Also, I am a HUGE fan of Crutchfield. Their customer service and willingness to help you out is second to none. Now with that being said, I am also a HUGE fan of refurbished electronics as well. For the most part, electronics either work or they don't. I still support Crutchfield, plus you get a great discount on the trim plates (for the double din) as well as the wiring harnesses and antenna adapter at a SIGNIFICANTLY discounted price when you order a piece of equipment from them. SO I typically order something from them to get the install equipment, but then most of my electronics from other sites where they have been refurbished. Knock on wood - but in over 20 years of this practice, I have YET to have an electronic device die on me.........I'll update as this install continues - but it'll be slow - that thing called life always gets in the way!

Last edited:
This was a great read, especially hearing everyones different head units and setups they have......I am an audio J U N K I E! Every single car I have ever owned has been an audio challenge to me - but my Jeep is going to be a whole new beast. I love my music, and I know the Jeep wasn't put on this planet for its audio prowess . But needless to say, I have already started on it. As of today, my Jeep is sitting stripped out. My Noico 80 mil sound deadener showed up today and I will be starting on the tomorrow. As for sound and head units - I've always been partial to Alpine. Went over to Pioneer head units for awhile, but back to Alpine. Speakers and head units are like lift kits and tire/wheel combos - EVERYONE has an opinion as to what they think is best - this is just my preference.

Head Unit: Alpine iLX-107 (double din)

I like this head unit as I am a fan of Apple CarPlay. I HATE Siri (Android Auto is MUCH better IMO for this) but since the addition of Waze into CarPlay - I'm back to loving Apple over Android. The main reason I picked this unit is it has "wireless" CarPlay built in. No need to plug in the a lightning cable for it to work. They talk to each other initially via bluetooth, then the head unit creates its own 5gHz network in which the phone connects to the head unit - LOVE that.

Front Speakers: Alpine SPR-50 (5 1/4")

Rear Speakers: Alpine R-S65 (6 1/2")

I actually prefer Alpine's 'X' series of speakers, but decided to go down a grade and install their 'R' series. Love the clarity, power management and acoustical properties of Alpines speakers. Again - this varies to each individuals ears!

(2) 10" KickerComp RT Subs

Mostly went with these due to the flexibility in the range of airspace for a sealed sub. I also went with 2 ohm subs, so I can wire them in series to maintain a two ohm load on the single channel of the amp.

Amplifier: I currently own this amp...

...but from my experience with the new "Mini" amps, I am looking at going to these two amps.........mainly I can mount them underneath the dash, and they are water resistant.......The Alpine KTA-30MW (300wx1) for the dual subs and the Alpine KTA-30FW (75w x 4) for the dash speakers and the roll bar speakers.

Subwoofer Box

Spoke to the owner of this company a few times and they have been amazingly responsive and EXTREMELY helpful in their product and the implementation of the other components (subs and amp).

A couple more opinions on stereo systems. I am a HUGE advocate of sealed sub boxes over ported boxes. A sealed box takes more clean power to power them, but I love how the bass tends to stay more "in" your ride (yes I know that's an oxymoron in a Jeep) then advertising it to everyone outside. I DO try to respect peoples right to not hearing my music, but at the same time - right time and the right place (Pismo Dunes) it is nice to have some tuneage!

Here was the Jeep when I tore out the interior:
View attachment 69507

And here it is as of tonight, before I lay down the sound deadening and the new BedRug as well:
View attachment 69508

Also, I am a HUGE fan of Crutchfield. Their customer service and willingness to help you out is second to none. Now with that being said, I am also a HUGE fan of refurbished electronics as well. For the most part, electronics either work or they don't. I still support Crutchfield, plus you get a great discount on the trim plates (for the double din) as well as the wiring harnesses and antenna adapter at a SIGNIFICANTLY discounted price when you order a piece of equipment from them. SO I typically order something from them to get the install equipment, but then most of my electronics from other sites where they have been refurbished. Knock on wood - but in over 20 years of this practice, I have YET to have an electronic device die on me.........I'll update as this install continues - but it'll be slow - that thing called life always gets in the way!

Awesome stuff. I used to have an Alpine head unit and was a big fan of the Alpine Tune It app, if that is still around.

Combined with your audio background, and the "Jeep itch", this will make for a fun project. I have been changing my Jeep's audio for a couple years now, and currently I have a 7 channel fully active system. I took the 5.25" front dash coaxial and converted into a 5.25" mid woofer with a 1" tweeter located in the A-pillar trim cover. Plus the two 6.5" in the overhead pods and the stock subwoofer (aka mid-woofer).

I am using this really neat 5 channel amp with built-in 7 channel DSP, plus a 2 channel amp to control and drive the system.

Good luck with your install and post some pics as you complete the install.

For those of you that installed a rear view camera, what color wire did you tap for reverse? Thanks!

From the fuse to the backup light switch, it should be the violet with a white stripe wire and from the backup light switch to the backup lights, it should be the violet with a black stripe wire. Hope that helps.

Reactions: Reign Mack
I am researching the upgrade options now.

What are your thoughts on the screen? Does it bounce around too much? Is it stable?

Got this unit from Crutchfield 3 years ago - Jensen VX7012 (I know its a cheap brand but its been great so far). It does block the vents when open but I just close it when I run the A/C. I put felt on the corners of the screen to prevent rattling. I installed Polk speakers in the dash, Alpine in the sound bar and sub box in the back (insta-trunk area). It all sounds great even with the top off on the freeway. Unit came with rear camera plug so for $20 I got one from Amazon. Same thing with the HDMI plug which was even easier than the camera. Nice set up without breaking the bank.View attachment 56296 View attachment 56297 View attachment 56298 View attachment 56299