What is this noise

D M

CEL free! (again)
Supporting Member
Ive got a buddy whose having this weird issue- strange noise coming from rear side of the jeep. He thought it was the gears, got them completely replaced(full gear install) he has a TW shaft that he just replaced all the U joints/greased it(full rebuild), It drives smooth as glass with the front out. We think the noise is definitely heat related since it only starts after driving for 30+ minutes. The noise comes at very low speeds. Hoping you guys can help. Thanks!

Edit:
1st vid-phone is sitting in tcase skid @ front ds
2nd vid: phone is sitting in tcase @ rear ds

Last edited:
Option 1: he's got a mouse somewhere under his hood that starts screaming whenever the engine gets to hot because its slowly cooking him.

Option 2: its some rubber that isn't greased

• Haha
Reactions: TJ Starting
If it were rubber it would most likely rub through and go away making a worse noise once its metal on metal. This has been happening for a while. Thinking maybe it could be the chain in the tcase, but im just talking out loud as I dont know what a bad chain sounds like. @hosejockey61 @jjvw does this sound like a bad tcase chain to you?

Doesnt sound like the chain to, does sound like maybe rubber or plastic. Could try shifting through the transfer case and see if it makes any difference.

Reactions: D M
So wait does the noise go away with the front shaft out? Did he rebuild the front or the rear shaft?

So wait does the noise go away with the front shaft out? Did he rebuild the front or the rear shaft?
Sound does not go away with the front shaft out. Rear shaft is still using the same CV ball. He greased that and replaced all Ujoints with spicers

If it were rubber it would most likely rub through and go away making a worse noise once its metal on metal. This has been happening for a while. Thinking maybe it could be the chain in the tcase, but im just talking out loud as I dont know what a bad chain sounds like. @hosejockey61 @jjvw does this sound like a bad tcase chain to you?
Does not sound chain related.....no idea what it is.

Reactions: D M
Shot in the dark, somewhat similar to my problem that doesn't seem too common.

I think it was part 11. It was loose. I could never figure out where it was coming from even after rebuilding the front driveshaft. The transmission shop I brought it to couldn't replicate the sound so I drove it in 4hi with them in the Jeep. It takes a little longer for it to make the sound if you have the driveshaft off and even longer in 2 wd but it will eventually start making the noise again. They started working to remove the transfer case and noticed the piece was loose. 60.jpg

tj-np231_0.jpg