What is your worst top-off experience?

This wasn't a Jeep. But related.

My then GF (now wife) and I decided to rent a convertible in LA and drive to San Diego for the weekend. When we picked it up the top was down.

It was very hot out. I'd say in the upper 80's. And the sun was beating down. Not a cloud in the sky.

When we got to Camp Pendleton there was a huge wreck someplace before Oceanside (the end of Camp Pendleton). And the freeway came to a complete stop. Now you can't enter Camp Pendleton without military id. And the 5 freeway runs right thru it for several miles down the coast. So your kind of trapped on the freeway. No turning off to use a phone. (This was before cellphones. Or at least before they were common.) With the one exception of the southbound rest stop. Which we passed.

Well it's already a couple hours into our journey with the top off. And my bald head is getting red. And my GF in her bikini top is getting red shoulders. And a burnt face. Traffic starts creeping very very slowly. And we pull over to get out and put the top up.

We tried for an hour to figure out how to get the top back up. No doing. Nothing worked. Even asked a few people parked like us on the 5 freeway. Nobody could figure it out. It takes us 7 hours(!) to get thru Camp Pendleton. And we are both FRIED. I mean red to the core. I'm seriously wondering if my GF is having a bad reaction to her sunburn.

So we get out of the traffic mess. And high tail it to SD with the top down and the ac on. We get to our hotel. I call the rental place. And they inform us that the convertible top release is a button up under the right rear wheel well! Like hidden. I guess it must have been a safety feature? So you couldn't easily get the top to go down so you could steal it? IDK. All I know is we spent the rest of the weekend in our hotel room. Nursing the worse sunburns we'd ever had. And did nothing we had planned.

Moral of the story. Always carry a hat. And an extra for your occupants. Her face was fried!
I've had my tj for maybe two weeks?
Beginning to put together a little duffle of necessary things for the little beast. After riding around today, and yesterday with the top off sunscreen has made it's way to one of the top 5 things.

Reactions: reddvltj
Many year ago I was in my 2003 tj cruising around the coastal towns near where I once lived.. I was visiting friends etc but noticed the sky colour changing from a beautiful blue to a slightly darker more imposing purply/grey.
No brains moment, I decided I best get going on the 2 hour drive back home before I get stuck in the rain.. So for about an hour I successfully beat the rain as I flew along the highway in heavy traffic. Then I hit the Gold Coast.. and even at the best of times those idiots spend more time running into each other than they do advancing toward their end goal..
I was still ok for about 30 minutes.. I thought NAH ILL BE RIGHT no need to pull over and put the top..
And guess what.. before that thought even finished scrolling through my brain...it poured down raining and of course that created a traffic jam with me stuck in the centre lane with no top on.. but at least everyone around me had a good laugh at me sitting there in the pouring rain..
*Side note, I didn't really care as I like just being in the rain* plus if you stay over 80kph you really don't get that wet even in torrential rain.

I've had my tj for maybe two weeks?
Beginning to put together a little duffle of necessary things for the little beast. After riding around today, and yesterday with the top off sunscreen has made it's way to one of the top 5 things.
Put this in your little duffle: a Spidershade. Will save you. One of the single best mods. Saves money on sunscreen too.

Be sure to wear eye protection in open jeep,bugs do come in between wind shield and face.had big grasshopper splatter on my glasses.Had i not had glasses on i would have surly lost my eye.
That only happens in Keeter TX.

BTW, where is Keeter? Lived almost all my life in TX and never heard of it

Our “new to us” ‘16 JK has been running topless for about 8 weeks now and the wife is mostly the one driving it. I always warn her to check the weather forecast AND to check the radar before she leaves. At first, she didn’t respect the latter until we got an unpredicted 1” in 30 minutes a downpour on a day where zero precipitation was predicted. She was so lucky that day and had just made it home in time.

So far, so good though...only good stories to tell. Closest call has been a large bird shit right on the top of the windshield crossbar paint. Anybody dealing with bird problems? This was something I hadn’t thought of until then!

Put this in your little duffle: a Spidershade. Will save you. One of the single best mods. Saves money on sunscreen too.
IMG_20190811_121524.jpg

The tj came with one 😁 and it matches the jeep. (aside from oil stains because it was kept in the "trunk" under all this stuff)

Reactions: TJ Starting and JMT
The good experiences far outweigh the bad . Topless is sooo much what a jeep is about to me . I just love it .

Agreed!

I would hate for a manure truck to turn over on me on the interstate though .

My worst topless jeep moment was in my TJ. . . got stuck behind a pig hauler in middle-of-nowheresville Ohio. Couldn't pass the guy for 20 minutes of driving. Arrived to my destination needing a shower and to burn my clothes.

Every year around this time there is a massive bee infestation in the mountains, yesterday was that day though maybe not yet at its peak, but at its worst at any given time there are several flying around inside the jeep ALL DAY LONG & about all you can do is swat at them with your hat (great hat advice above but for more than just sun). Dude I was with yesterday buzzes me on the CB maybe an hour into the run & is screaming his Jeep is full of bees, thinks he ran over a nest hahaha.

Really they're harmless, I've had what seems like hundreds of them buzzing around me by the end of the day a few at a time but I haven't yet been stung. The first time you experience it it can be unnerving, I've almost crashed into a bunch of stuff while distracted

Every year around this time there is a massive bee infestation in the mountains, yesterday was that day though maybe not yet at its peak, but at its worst at any given time there are several flying around inside the jeep ALL DAY LONG & about all you can do is swat at them with your hat (great hat advice above but for more than just sun). Dude I was with yesterday buzzes me on the CB maybe an hour into the run & is screaming his Jeep is full of bees, thinks he ran over a nest hahaha.

Really they're harmless, I've had what seems like hundreds of them buzzing around me by the end of the day a few at a time but I haven't yet been stung. The first time you experience it it can be unnerving, I've almost crashed into a bunch of stuff while distracted
People say the bees are disappearing. They are just swarming to 4x4's Because they wanna go wheeling too 🤣

The scent of nature is something everyone gets while open topped. Whether it's the smell of grilling steaks or road kill skunk.
Or the perfume of that beautiful Redhead with red lipstick and dark sunglasses that just passed you by and blew you a kiss... whoa sonny, stop sleep typing.

The wettest time i ever had in an open top Jeep was when I was heading on 2.5 hour drive up north to a lake in the Pennsylvania Poconos.

It was in the late 90’s so music was still good and no cells to be distracted by or call for help. I was home from college for the summer working at Hershey Park and I was planning to visit my roommate at her parents lake cabin for the weekend. I picked up another roommate along the way and headed up to the lake.

I had an 89 yj at the time and had known enough to check the weather forecast and it said sunny weather high of 90’s for the entire journey and location we were going to be in... It was a typical Pennsylvania summer of high 90’s with 100% humidity. I left my hard doors at home and headed out to the lake. I had the soft top up without the windows, but i soon found it was completely useless on those models without doors holding in the sides. It was hot as hell and we had the top up like a safari top on the highway when we started hearing the ripping of the top stitching and look back to see it damn near rip off the frame at highway speeds. We quickly pull over and remove the top. I laugh it off thankful it didn’t blow off and kill someone and we soldier on since it was hot 🥵as hell anyway. About an hour in a summer thunderstorm sets in that has us worried but we think it’ll pass... it didn’t the news bulletin that came on the radio describing the said shit storm coming on way confirmed it. The heavens opened up and what I can only describe as a deluge of freaking water or a cow pissing for you farmers, just pours down on us. There’s no over passes or exits, not like we could see them anyway, so basically we are screwed. We start laughing at first and then realize after 15 mins we are completely soaked and everything we own is soaked. Wipers and heater are useless and I turn the radio off so it doesn’t somehow kill us in the standing water. We start freezing from the rain since we were sun burned from the start of the trip so we tried pulling over which gets us even wetter, but we find a dry t shirt at the very bottom of my bag that we use to wipe the inside of the windshield. We keep storing the rag in the glove box to try and keep it dryer than us. We are going really slow which makes it worse. I hadn’t pulled my plugs since I didn’t know about them at this point so I have water collecting in the bottom of the Jeep. We manage to make it to the lake soaking and inches of water in the Jeep. Almost as soon as we pulled in the rain stops and the sun comes out. Absolutely everything is drenched and I pop the plugs and pull the carpet to let the water out which is like turning on the faucet. We spend the weekend in the sun water skiing and head back home facing the sun. We arrive back home and literally are fried to a crisp from the drive, the weekend, and are badly dehydrated.

Absolutely started my love affair with everything jeep. There are no bad years to me since I’ve had an adventure in them all.

Since that day I have owned
An 60 cj5, 79 cj7, 87 yj, an 89yj, and a 2001 tj. I probably have a wet, sun kissed, lost in the wild, stuck in the muck, triumph and glory ride, or chick magnet story for each one lol

It’s like a Harley on 4 wheels!

I suppose most of us have some rain stories, because the top is not up and down friendly like most convertibles. My worst experience, however, was coming out of a restaurant and jumping into my topless TJ and feeling a nasty sting on my rear. Turns out I sat right on a wasp, and he let me know he was there. I had a sore butt for a few days.

Never had a bad experience it always rains and usually always cold here so always prepare and check the weather like a hawk.
At worst I have left home during the afternoon and headed back at midnight when the temperature has dropped to single digits and didn’t bring a jacket. Can get pretty cold at high speeds

Reactions: TJ Starting
My worst experience is feeling bad for all the suckers in Audis and Mercedes Benz with their windows rolled up and air conditioning blasting. My heart goes out to those poor bastards!

• Haha
Reactions: Grey_Machine7.3