What long arm kit?

Another vote for the 4" Currie SA lift 1" BL and 35's as Jerry suggested. Drives like a dream on road, well as close to a dream as a TJ can

IMG_3595.jpeg

IMG_3605.jpeg

IMG_2900.JPG

IMG_2905.JPG

First , everyone isn’t running long arms .

Secondly , there isn’t a long arm and an upgrade combined. Long arm upgrade is like military intelligence...an arguable term . (That came from M*A*S*H , not me )

I have 2 Rubicons , one with a long arm and manual and one with a short arm and automatic . I installed long arms on one more out of desperation and hope it was better than knowledge at the time .

In my opinion , long arms look so radical , they make people think something that different has to be doing something the shorter ones can’t , some magic geometry , some incredible articulation,etc.

the truth - not really . Sorry . Short arms don’t arc as severely as people think , and if they didn’t work wouldn’t be on them from the factory . Any benefit from long arms is more than negated by the poor clearance . Capability is everything off road.

Both mine are fairy effective , but the control arms don’t make near the difference the tires , tire pressure , transmission type , crawl ratio and lockers do.

Last edited:
Currently up front only have a 3.5" RK spring. should I add a small spacer to get to the 4" (this would level out my LJ as well) or jump to a 4.5" spring and no spacer. I like the RK or Metalcloak springs.

For the 1" BL. Im getting the Savvy TC cable. So I would need motor mount spacer also? what else?

Lmfao. All these pictures that are being posted anti long arm are of drivers who didn't have spotter. I've been running long arm on my TJ and rarely happened to me. I do MOAB, KOH, John Bulll.... ect. The ride and flex between short and long are is night and day difference. Long arm is much more capable. Been climbing for 19 years and have had both. Don't listen to these haters. I can guarantee 90% have never ran long arm.

• Haha
Reactions: jjvw
Lmfao. All these pictures that are being posted anti long arm are of drivers who didn't have spotter. I've been running long arm on my TJ and rarely happened to me. I do MOAB, KOH, John Bulll.... ect. The ride and flex between short and long are is night and day difference. Long arm is much more capable. Been climbing for 19 years and have had both. Don't listen to these haters. I can guarantee 90% have never ran long arm.

• Haha
Reactions: jjvw
Not true at all. . Have you even ran long arm. I've ran both and long arm is way better ride. But hey I'm just a mechanical engineer and don't know what I'm talking about. The angle of the arm has everything to do with the transfer of energy from the axel through the arms.
Nope. And don't believe long arms ride better from their claimed lower arm angle, it's BS too. It'd take a MUCH taller lift than any of us would run on a TJ to make a short arm angle steep enough to cause a stiffer ride.

What causes a stiff ride? Overinflated tires, the wrong shock absorbers, or running a stiffer tire than is optimal like a Load Range D or E tire.

Not true at all. . Have you even ran long arm. I've ran both and long arm is way better ride.
Yes I ran a Rubicon Express long arm suspension for years. The arm angles at the suspension heights we commonly install are not different enough to cause a difference in ride quality between long and short arms. Any ride difference you felt was attributable to something besides arm length. Shock model, tire pressure, tire size, placebo effect, etc. And just being an ME does not automatically make one a suspension expert.

After my TJ with the long arm suspension was stolen I bought a used TJ with a Currie short arm suspension. No difference in ride quality. But offroad the Currie suspension did nearly everything better. The only thing my previous TJ's long arms did better was getting hung up on the rocks.

This is my previous TJ with one of its long arms hung up on the rocks. Again.

CIMG2633 cropped-1.jpg

Reactions: D M
Why do you want a long-arm suspension? Bolt-on long-arm suspensions don't work worth a crap and despite their claims, they don't ride any better than a short arm. I installed a long-arm into my previous (stolen) TJ but my present TJ with its short-arm Currie suspension does everything better. Well not quite everything better... my previous long-arm suspension was MUCH better at getting hung up on the rocks. :ROFLMAO:

I have lots of these pics of my previous TJ's long-arms being hung up on various big rocks. Long-arms? Never again. :)

View attachment 125383

View attachment 125385
Jerry whats your take on the Mid Arm Set ups the Good the bad and the ugly. I been mulling this idea around for a few days

Jerry whats your take on the Mid Arm Set ups the Good the bad and the ugly. I been mulling this idea around for a few days
Savvy's mid-arm suspension is an amazing design that just flat works on (especially) extremely tough trails. I'd have had one installed years ago if my wife hadn't put her foot down, drawn a line in the sand, asked 'are you serious" etc. 🤣

Savvy's mid-arm suspension is an amazing design that just flat works on (especially) extremely tough trails. I'd have had one installed years ago if my wife hadn't put her foot down, drawn a line in the sand, asked 'are you serious" etc. 🤣
Thats the one I have been lustfully looking at, how are its street manners

I guess your wife is not a politician, because if she were you could just move the line :ROFLMAO:

Is a mid arm basically a triangulated long arm?

On the wife, the smart husbands are the ones that give up early.