What long arm kit?

fourmustangs

TJ Enthusiast
What long arm kits is everyone using.
I have 05 LJ rubicon

Only go out like 4 times in a year both mud and or rocks.
Dont want more vibrations as can drive it daily if I needed, but maybe 5k miles a year.

So I think I'd be fine with one poly end and one flex end.

I will be using rock krawler springs and some shocks.

So only need the longarm upgrade.

I'm sure two names may receive alot of bashing...lol
RC and Rustys are the $1000 range

Why do you want a long-arm suspension? Bolt-on long-arm suspensions don't work worth a crap and despite their claims, they don't ride any better than a short arm. I installed a long-arm into my previous (stolen) TJ but my present TJ with its short-arm Currie suspension does everything better. Well not quite everything better... my previous long-arm suspension was MUCH better at getting hung up on the rocks. :ROFLMAO:

I have lots of these pics of my previous TJ's long-arms being hung up on various big rocks. Long-arms? Never again. :)

CIMG2646.JPG

CIMG2607.JPG

Reactions: D M
If did short arm was thinking metalcloak double adjustable kit.
May be at 4.5" lift.
I have the 3.5" Metalcloak short arm kit, rides smooth and wheels amazing. Definitely one of the best short arm kits.
If you want long arms you need to weld up new mounting points for it to be worth your while.

Reactions: fourmustangs
If did short arm was thinking metalcloak double adjustable kit.
May be at 4.5" lift.
Look into Currie's 4" kit. Its Johnnie joints have a sterling reputation among those more versed in flex joints than just having read and believing what the advertisements claim. A 4" suspension lift plus a 1" body lift is pretty ideal for 35" tires, especially where the center-of-gravity is concerned.

Reactions: D M
I have a Full Traction setup, and really like it, it’s is way better than my old short arm kit, or any short arm kit I’ve ever been in. I’ve done some tweeks here and there to it and have some more planned but I have no complaints. I’ve had it since 08’ I think.

• Love
Reactions: YourWorstEnemy
I have a Full Traction setup, and really like it, it’s is way better than my old short arm kit, or any short arm kit I’ve ever been in. I’ve done some tweeks here and there to it and have some more planned but I have no complaints. I’ve had it since 08’ I think.
This is what Jeep builder/designer mrblaine and a buddy came up with after my TJ kept getting hung up on the rocks one day on a trail in Johnson Valley called Sunbonnet. I was the only one in the group of highly experienced rock crawlers (I am not including myself in that class) who was running a long-arm suspension that weekend... much to their amusement.

Their take on my situation...

LongArmsForWhenYouReallyHav.jpg

Long arms talk the talk.jpg

Last edited:
Would I really need jj on both ends vs just one?
To help with extra vibration transfer?

If you need the movement of a Johnny Joint, then you want both ends to move.

And none of this changing of arm lengths or joints is being done to address vibes of any kind.

One more pic... the one-time my TJ made a 4x4 magazine and it had to be with one of its front long arms hung up again on a big rock. :ROFLMAO:

4WP-Magazine-page.jpg

Is there any benefit to the (advertised) vertical travel geometry axle from short vs long.
Nope. And don't believe long arms ride better from their claimed lower arm angle, it's BS too. It'd take a MUCH taller lift than any of us would run on a TJ to make a short arm angle steep enough to cause a stiffer ride.

What causes a stiff ride? Overinflated tires, the wrong shock absorbers, or running a stiffer tire than is optimal like a Load Range D or E tire.

I love the ride of my LJ right now...

For short arms....single or dual adjustable?
Dual adjustable are nice for number of reasons: The ability to dial in the angles to see what works and doesn’t work over time without pulling the arms. Some arms can’t adjust enough in or out to get you where you need to be so double adjustables can go longer and shorter than those. Adding future upgrades like a flat skid plate or changing lift height will be easy to dial in and you won’t have to change arms.