What makes RockJock better than JKS or BDS? OR Auto VS Man Pt37

The fact is the people arguing with you aren't satisfied just saying the auto makes technical rock crawling more possible and accepting that there might be one single thing the manual might do a little better in a specific use case. It has to be better in every possible way or you're the dumbest MFer on planet earth. It's the same type of completely nuance-lacking, all or nothing, black and white bullshit we get into on every topic with even a smidgeon of room for opinion or gray area, or spectrum.
This is why you can fuck off with that shit. If you don't specifically exclude me, then I am included and if I am included, then this would not exist.
Build date so you know it not only didn't come that way, it was never offered. 04 TJ Unlimited.
1718041521038.png

1718041586707.png

1718041659867.png

If I believed there was no merit to a manual trans, I would not have done this swap, made it look like it came that way and was in full agreement with the new owner's needs and desires.

This is why you can fuck off with that shit. If you don't specifically exclude me, then I am included and if I am included, then this would not exist.
Build date so you know it not only didn't come that way, it was never offered. 04 TJ Unlimited.
View attachment 533647

View attachment 533649
View attachment 533650
If I believed there was no merit to a manual trans, I would not have done this swap, made it look like it came that way and was in full agreement with the new owner's needs and desires.

it wasn't JUST you, and maybe not even primarily you. if a person steps back from their position and looks at this subconversation within the thread, it reads as "I've had both and they have tradeoffs, here's an example of a really specific way I use my Jeep where the manual is better", followed by 3-4 white knights coming to defend the automatics honor with all the thousands of dollars you can spend to make it behave as well as a manual in that exact scenario. But who cares? He's had both, he likes the one he has, he likes the specific characteristic mentioned which is demonstrably true. He didn't ask for somebody to sell him an auto, he wasn't stating something technically false, so why did anybody need to comment at all, let alone keep beating the dead horse after he continued to clarify why the various alternatives offered were not reasonable? The benefits of an auto are well documented here and acknowledged virtually universally including by me; no defense is needed.

If I had everything to do over again, knowing what I know today, I'd go for an auto 2004 LJ, but I'm deep enough into this thing already without going through an auto swap, a Rubicrawler and/or 241 and another regear, and my gripes with living with a manual aren't worth what it would take to do. I also very much appreciate the same trait Rickyd brings up. When I cross a mountain pass in Colorado and proceed to descend 5,000' over 10 miles of what's basically a step or two above a forest road, I absolutely LOVE the fact that I can just pick a gear, rest my feet and practically idle down the entire way. I've done the same passes with NSG370, AX15, 42RLE and whatever auto comes in the 3.8 JL and the manuals are noticeably more enjoyable during the descent every time. Do the autos make it down without losing brakes and going off a cliff? Sure, of course they do, but they don't let me be as lazy. Is it a decision maker or a deal breaker? Probably not, but it never needed to be.

Reactions: Rickyd