What Mods Do You Regret?

I wish I went to 33's and a lift much, much sooner than waiting 2.5 years for my (new at the time) 30 inch AT's to wear down. All the while researching and questioning whether the lift would impact my ride negatively in more ways than one. It's so much better in every way than it was when stock. So my regret isn't only the wait, but spending a pretty penny on the new 30's and fresh shocks at the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My biggest regrets are:
1) JKS Quick Disconnects
2) eBay bumpers

The JKS quick disconnects 1) aren't that much cheaper than an anti-rock, 2) they've bent my inner fender of my Metalcloak fenders, and 3) one has started making popping noises while I'm driving. I'm looking forward to the day when I can sell them off for cheap and pony up for the Currie AR.

I bought the eBay bumpers about 4-5 years ago, I think it was from SamsBumperBarn or something like that. Long story short, they are solidly built bumpers with shackle mounts welded all the way through, but the holes needed a little drilling to fit and I didn't have the means to do that at the time. Dude was an asshole about it, said there's no way they don't fit even after I sent picture evidence. He sent me a new front bumper that fit slightly better, but refused to send a new rear one, take the first one back, or even acknowledge that it wouldn't fit without modification. Unfortunately, I found out they didn't fit after I had already painted them with POR-15. All three are currently sitting in my garage.

With that said, if anyone doesn't mind a little drilling, I'll give you a smoking deal on the bumpers as long as you pay shipping:D
Can you post pics of the bumpers?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Reactions: Roger Descoteaux
I'm not very keen when it comes to gears yet... what creates an "undergeared" situation? What gearing would be better?

Being under geared with larger tires means loss of power. When you regear, you gain lots of power back. And your engine is happier.

The gearing would depend on tire size and which transmission you have.

Reactions: NicKnack
My regrets, not getting a rubicon. But that's it. I don't regret all the crappy mods and lift kit I had years ago. For me, everything has been a journey, and it has made me more knowledgable. :D

It has also made me a bit of a jeep snob....

I bought cheap Chinese knock off Lantsun LED headlights, ended hating them & giving them to a fellow Jeeper buddy. 125 bucks, down the drain.

For me it started with overpaying for a modified TJ back in October. Sadly I fell in love with it when I first saw it so there was no talking me out of buying it. I should have found a stock Rubicon down in Georgia where my parents live. My TJ had more rust then I first saw due to the frame being spray painted and the 4" lift on it was shot. So I spent another grand 2 days after initial purchase on a whole new lift kit. The 35's on it were only about 35% tread, so had to replace those too. In the 6 months or so I have owned it nothing that I first put on it is still on it except the rear swingout carrier. If I only knew more when I first bought it. It's been an expensive learning lesson.

But the latest waste of money was a set of neoprene seat covers. They look good and fit well but they make my back sweat.

Last edited:
Buying tail light guards. I'm not sure they do any good plus the guy at the store said they would start to rust after 2 years. I think I beat that by a few months.

Reactions: dylansalrin
The Rubicon Express 4.5" long-arm suspension I installed into my previous TJ. (long arms kept hanging the TJ up on the rocks, the geometry was bad which caused my front-end to unload and want to lift up too far on steep climbs or tough obstacles)

Edit: I'll add a few more notables...

Teraflex control arms (not flexible enough, tore two control arm mounting brackets off)
4.10 gearing with 33" tires and my previous TJ's 5-speed transmission (left the Jeep undergeared)
K&N Air Filter (passes way too much desert dust & dirt)
All Terrain Tires (not aggressive enough for my wheeling areas)
ProComp ES-3000 shocks (way too stiff)
Nerf bars (get in the way, offer no protection against anything)
But never an inclinometer (shows useless misleading information) :D
I have noticed other people saying the same thing about 33's and 4.10 weird ..because i have 33's and a 4 spd auto with 3.73's and my Jeep feels pretty torquey and peppy, granted not so much on the highway though. But around town it definitely gets out of its own way with no problems. What is the proper ratio in your opinion?

I've said this before many times. I regret ditching my 2.5" OME lift and 31" tires and going to a 4" lift with 33" tires.

For some reason, in my mind, I thought I needed a huge lift and huge tires. I was wrong. The stuff I do (overland type stuff) doesn't warrant more than a 2.5" lift and some nice 31" tires. Not to mention that with that setup I could have kept things much more mild and saved a lot more money.

What I can take away from this knowing what I know now, is that you should always build your TJ for the type of trails you run.

Selling my matching military jeep trailer for a high dollar, name brand, blah-blah super whiz-bang roof rack system. Bad decision! Bad! If I had to do it again, I wouldn't have even looked at rack systems at all! It negatively affected the CG and overhead clearance for parking also, my trailer really did alright over some really tough trails. The Rubicon, Dusy Ershim, Swamp Lake and even some in JV believe it or not! Plus I lost my extra spare tire carrier since the trailer used same size 37" wheels & tires on it and it carried two extra spares to boot! Miss the weight carrying capacity of it too.....

Two thumbs down on roof racks :vomiton22je:

Reactions: xxdabroxx and FTI76
I have noticed other people saying the same thing about 33's and 4.10 weird ..because i have 33's and a 4 spd auto with 3.73's and my Jeep feels pretty torquey and peppy, granted not so much on the highway though. But around town it definitely gets out of its own way with no problems. What is the proper ratio in your opinion?
For 33's and your 4-speed automatic transmission, I'd go either 4.88 or 5.13... 5.13 would be my personal choice.

And if you think your Jeep feels peppy and torquey being undergeared with 4.10 and 33" tires, you'd think it was a Porsche once it was regeared to the proper axle ratio. :)

Last edited:
I totally agree with Jerry on axle gear ratios vs. tire size. Having a properly geared Jeep will be a "Night-&-Day" difference. Re-gearing is a big expense, makes good monetary sense to plan ahead and do it right the first time.