What Mods Do You Regret?

I have noticed other people saying the same thing about 33's and 4.10 weird ..because i have 33's and a 4 spd auto with 3.73's and my Jeep feels pretty torquey and peppy, granted not so much on the highway though. But around town it definitely gets out of its own way with no problems. What is the proper ratio in your opinion?
There's the key. Many people drive to the trails on the highway or daily drive their TJ. So while it's mediocre/minimally sufficient at 40mph and under, getting up to 75 is a real pain. Then when you go up a grade it's not much fun to have to get in the slow lane because you're doing 60-65mph by the time you get to the top.

Like Jerry said, I've heard people describe the difference between before and after a re-gear, is like going from driving a brick to driving a corvette. I can't wait to re-gear mine. I've finally decided to save up the money to get it done. I still do plenty of driving around town, but the slight increase in the amount of time I'm spending on the highway has convinced me to just get it done.

(2) MT tires, they vibrated the hell out of me, gave them to a friend and installed AT tires, what a difference.
That's odd, mainstream good quality MT tires don't vibrate unless the aren't balanced well or they have some kind of defect. I've run nothing but MTs for probably 15 years and when balanced properly and in good non-chunked condition, are smooth and vibration free at any speed I dare drive at. :)

There's the key. Many people drive to the trails on the highway or daily drive their TJ. So while it's mediocre/minimally sufficient at 40mph and under, getting up to 75 is a real pain. Then when you go up a grade it's not much fun to have to get in the slow lane because you're doing 60-65mph by the time you get to the top.

Like Jerry said, I've heard people describe the difference between before and after a re-gear, is like going from driving a brick to driving a corvette. I can't wait to re-gear mine. I've finally decided to save up the money to get it done. I still do plenty of driving around town, but the slight increase in the amount of time I'm spending on the highway has convinced me to just get it done.
what ratio are you thinking about switching to....?

what ratio are you thinking about switching to....?
Well I eventually want to run 35's after axle upgrades, so I'm thinking about 5.13's. But trying to get some advice from those that have experience with regears before I make a decision. I won't have the money to regear for several months anyway.

I've said this before many times. I regret ditching my 2.5" OME lift and 31" tires and going to a 4" lift with 33" tires.

For some reason, in my mind, I thought I needed a huge lift and huge tires. I was wrong. The stuff I do (overland type stuff) doesn't warrant more than a 2.5" lift and some nice 31" tires. Not to mention that with that setup I could have kept things much more mild and saved a lot more money.

What I can take away from this knowing what I know now, is that you should always build your TJ for the type of trails you run.
Chris..when you hade the 2.5" OME, was it just the the shocks and springs? or did you also do the BL and MML as well?

That's odd, mainstream good quality MT tires don't vibrate unless the aren't balanced well or they have some kind of defect. I've run nothing but MTs for probably 15 years and when balanced properly and in good non-chunked condition, are smooth and vibration free at any speed I dare drive a
That's odd, mainstream good quality MT tires don't vibrate unless the aren't balanced well or they have some kind of defect. I've run nothing but MTs for probably 15 years and when balanced properly and in good non-chunked condition, are smooth and vibration free at any speed I dare drive at. :)

t. :)

These particular MT's also produced a fair amount of cabin drone which was significantly reduced once replaced.
BUT....now i can hear the wife.

Can you post pics of the bumpers?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Here ya go. Let me know if you want to see anything else.
Front Bumper 1.jpg

Front Bumper 3.jpg
Front Bumper 2.jpg
Rear Bumper 2.jpg
Rear Bumper 1.jpg

Last edited:
Chris..when you hade the 2.5" OME, was it just the the shocks and springs? or did you also do the BL and MML as well?

It was just this kit here (the shocks and springs):
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004P9JY0E/?tag=wranglerorg-20

I also had adjustable sway bars, but that was it. I would have added the BL and MML just so I could tuck the transfer case skid (since they hang unreasonably low on Rubicon models). Then it would have been perfect IMHO!

Reactions: RoscoeJack
Anything smittybuilt. Seriously, the PO of my jeep put that crap on and it does not last.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really wish Smittybilt never existed. I'm currently looking for TJs to buy and every last one of them is decked out with that crap.

What they do is throw on the Smittybilt stinger, bumper + tire carrier, those ugly anti ground clearance nerf bars, and anything else Smitty they can get their hands on since it's the cheapest stuff on the market. Then, they jack the selling price to way up above what the Jeep is worth because it's "loaded" (with crap from Smittybilt).

Makes me sick because I really want a TJ but I have no desire to pay $12k for a '97 TJ with 150,000 miles simply because it's loaded with Chinese crap that I'm going to have to take off. Not to mention the Rough Country lift I'll have to replace and the cheapo tires they probably installed.

I really wish Smittybilt never existed. I'm currently looking for TJs to buy and every last one of them is decked out with that crap.

What they do is throw on the Smittybilt stinger, bumper + tire carrier, those ugly anti ground clearance nerf bars, and anything else Smitty they can get their hands on since it's the cheapest stuff on the market. Then, they jack the selling price to way up above what the Jeep is worth because it's "loaded" (with crap from Smittybilt).

Makes me sick because I really want a TJ but I have no desire to pay $12k for a '97 TJ with 150,000 miles simply because it's loaded with Chinese crap that I'm going to have to take off. Not to mention the Rough Country lift I'll have to replace and the cheapo tires they probably installed.
You are absolutley correct on that one, everyone and their cousin Julio, has a "tricked out TJ", with worthless lifts, and a crapload of chrome bolted on. And a long CarFax damage history. Don't worry about the rot and rust underneath, its a Sahara.

Reactions: Brantley
Most of the mods on my TJ were already there when I bought it, but:

1) The Safari bar. I LOVE how it looks, but it makes taking the hardtop off damn near impossible in any practical manner.
2) The Rough Country Lift, while I didn't pay a dime for it, to makes the ride rough as hell(Guess that's why the call it "Rough Country" :p)

That's really it.