What MPG are you getting?

2005, 4.0, auto, 33" tires, 3.73 - Best I have seen thus far is 12mpg...hoping the replacement shift solenoid pack will restore my OD and increase the mpg figures.

I curious about what axle ratio too.

I'm running a 4.0, 5 speed, 33" and get 12-15. I tend to average 12.5 city and highway driving, and I get 15 cruising the back roads in the 45-60 mph zone.
12-15 is pretty typical for a TJ with 33" tires, I wouldn't give that mpg a second thought.

2005, 4.0, auto, 33" tires, 3.73 - Best I have seen thus far is 12mpg...hoping the replacement shift solenoid pack will restore my OD and increase the mpg figures.
With your particular transmission 3.73 with 33" tires is causing your engine to lug on the highway which will cause really poor mpg. In the case of Jeeps running big tires, lower engine rpms does not equal better mpg. I regeared my TJ with 35's and the same automatic transmission you have from the 4.88 ratio it came from to 5.38 which raised the rpms enough to raise my mpg from sub-12 mpg to 14.6.

• Wow
Reactions: Kenneth G Zinis
I regeared my TJ with 35's and the same automatic transmission you have from the 4.88 ratio it came from to 5.38 which raised the rpms enough to raise my mpg from sub-12 mpg to 14.6.

Did moving to a flat state help any with the mpg? I would think lack of mountains would help.
p.s. I drove to West Va and was lucky to get 10 mpg highway/mountain driving.

With your particular transmission 3.73 with 33" tires is causing your engine to lug on the highway which will cause really poor mpg. In the case of Jeeps running big tires, lower engine rpms does not equal better mpg. I regeared my TJ with 35's and the same automatic transmission you have from the 4.88 ratio it came from to 5.38 which raised the rpms enough to raise my mpg from sub-12 mpg to 14.6.

Mine has been turning 3400rpm + @ 50mph when it registered that 12mpg. With the OD engaged rpm's dropped to 1400 at the same speed. I believe the solenoid pack will net better shifting overall and bring those mpg figures up...crossed fingers.

12.24 lifetime averag of all driving including pulling trailers.

On Hwy drop below 60 and mine goes up to the 17 range.

6-speed, 4.56, 35’s

12.24 lifetime averag of all driving including pulling trailers.

On Hwy drop below 60 and mine goes up to the 17 range.

6-speed, 4.56, 35’s

My brother had 35s on his 05 6 speed with stock 3.73 gears and consistently got 17-17.5 mpg by driving 60 mph on long highway trips. I think driving style matters more than gearing. My first TJ with 3.73 gears and 35s got 17.5 mpg over many years by driving like grandma and keeping it at 60 mph. I've never been able to come close to that mpg with any of my Jeeps since.

Reactions: 801 Driver
Mine has been turning 3400rpm + @ 50mph when it registered that 12mpg. With the OD engaged rpm's dropped to 1400 at the same speed. I believe the solenoid pack will net better shifting overall and bring those mpg figures up...crossed fingers.
Neither of those rpms will give good mpg, I really/strongly doubt replacing the solenoid pack will affect it in the least.

Neither of those rpms will give good mpg, I really/strongly doubt replacing the solenoid pack will affect it in the least.

My only goal is to get the transmission operating properly. This Jeep's only duty is to get me back and forth to the beach and the max speeds are 50mph with trips less than 20 miles. Highly unlikely I would consider the expense of re-gearing. Purchased this Jeep as it sits...I would have rather had a non-lifted, stock tire vehicle, but I'm not going to the expense of reverting it now. I'll post the results once back on the road.

150000 miles 4.0L , 6 speed, 4.56 gearing, 33" AT

I have been living in 45 - 55 mph zone for almost a year now, taking same routs for the same needs consistently.
14.6 to 15.7 mpg, same gas station, same pump, same Jeep with same weight load and tire pressure... damn this year has been consistently boring.

When i was living in 70 mph zone, 13.7 - 14.4 mpg was my consistent consumption range.

@jsmusic every time my mpg went below 12, it was a sure sign that something was not right.
Failing o2 sensors have always dropped my mpg into 10 range.
Cheap crap fuel drops mpg into low 11 just like that, i can always tell which gas station plays dirty tricks.
Others have experienced other issues that caused low mpg, do a little browsing on the forum.

Reactions: JoseA
Did moving to a flat state help any with the mpg? I would think lack of mountains would help.
Unfortunately my TJ has less than ten miles on it since moving here to Florida. We've been too busy since the move for me to drive it much. Not to mention it has been raining often enough that I need to install that new top that's still boxed up in the garage. All that's on it right now is my dusty safari top. We might even see some high winds and heavy rains from that hurricane that's about to hit Florida. We're not supposed to get hit with the main storm but we're definitely going to see some of its outer effects.

Unfortunately my TJ has less than ten miles on it since moving here to Florida. We've been too busy since the move for me to drive it much. Not to mention it has been raining often enough that I need to install that new top that's still boxed up in the garage. All that's on it right now is my dusty safari top. We might even see some high winds and heavy rains from that hurricane that's about to hit Florida. We're not supposed to get hit with the main storm but we're definitely going to see some of its outer effects.

Same here, but luckily the Jeep is in a garage. Repair parts are not due to show until the middle of the storm lol.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Maybe someone wants to geek-out on this.

I’ve tracked mpg using Fuelly

681BDB50-45F7-486A-B8CF-034D4021A7EB.png

331666C5-F0D0-4444-8E13-99B0C50BF74E.png

89B412DB-8944-4B66-92BD-1A83D1C2E894.png
The drop in mpg around the new year is from an experiment I did shifting at and driving at very low rpm. To @Jerry Bransford point. Ironically this coincided with the rise in gas prices. Not a great formula…higher price per gallon and lower miles per gallon.

Around the spring I started shifting and driving at higher rpm. Typically 2750 to 3000 with occasional shifts as high as 3300. Average mpg increased. Is only a mile or two per gallon change but it increased none the less.

4.0, 5 speed, 33’s at 26 psi, 3.73's

Last edited:
Reactions: KtsTJ
Maybe someone wants to geek-out on this.

I’ve tracked mpg using Fuelly

View attachment 362210

View attachment 362211

View attachment 362212The drop in mpg around the new year is from an experiment I did shifting at and driving at very low rpm. To @Jerry Bransford point. Ironically this coincided with the rise in gas prices. Not a great formula…higher price per gallon and lower miles per gallon.

Around the spring I started shifting and driving at higher rpm. Typically 2750 to 3000 with occasional shifts as high as 3300. Average mpg increased. Is only a mile or two per gallon change but it increased none the less.

4.0, 5 speed, 33’s at 26 psi, 3.73's
TMI, the last thing I worry about on my TJ is its mpg. :ROFLMAO:

06 4.0, 42rle, 3.73 and 33” tires. 10-12 mpg but speedo gear has not been changed. so we know the mpg numbers are no bueno. i need GEARS damn it!