What MPG are you getting?

After I read my post I can see that it came across not as intended. I meant it to mean profound frustration on my part. I track my mileage nearly every tank. Ive been unable to make and any significant improvement. Although I've changed nothing specifically to improve mileage, I have replaced my entire exhaust system, o2 sensors, etc.. In spite of the softtop, it's heavy. I carry lots of tools and a fridge all the time. Still, my LJ @ 11.5 mpg, I could see a lightweight TJ getting 14 or 15, but 18 or better is unbelievable. Two engines with identical displacement shouldn't show a difference in economy by 80%, especially when the shape of each vehicle is fundamentally identical.

I have not seen 18mpg yet...like I said earlier, that is what I anticipate out on the road. I'm happy with the 16mpg it is currently at, but a couple of more should be easily obtainable. This TJ is basicly stock with the exception of the 33" tires. The 3.73 gear lets it loaf at about 1500rpm @ 55mph. OD will not engage below 50mph and where I live 45mph is the top speed zone. Engine rpm's in third gear for me at 45mph are around 1800rpm.

mall crawler.jpg

Reactions: Old Pueblo
I have not seen 18mpg yet...like I said earlier, that is what I anticipate out on the road. I'm happy with the 16mpg it is currently at, but a couple of more should be easily obtainable. This TJ is basicly stock with the exception of the 33" tires. The 3.73 gear lets it loaf at about 1500rpm @ 55mph. OD will not engage below 50mph and where I live 45mph is the top speed zone. Engine rpm's in third gear for me at 45mph are around 1800rpm.

View attachment 363738

View attachment 363738

I bought wheels and 33's and put them on just to take a look before my lift, when my LJ was still stock with 3.73. Driving around the neighborhood was ok, but outside of that it was awful. I regeared to 4.88 and it was just OK. I thought immediately that I should have gone 5.13. When I bought new tires I chose 35's. 4.88's, 35" tires, and a 42RLE was horrible. The trans was constantly hunting for for the right gear. For my LJ, 5.38 was the perfect choice for drivability.... fuel mileage,.... Not so much. I don't remember what my mileage was when I was stock, but my mileage is unchanged from 4.88/ 33's to 5.38/ 35's

I'm curious as to Ziggy's findings who posted above. I'm not sure of the differences between a '05 and a '06, but his being otherwise identical to mine with smaller/lighter wheels I would expect much better mpg.

217 / 19 = 11.4 ... Are you dividing by tank size or how much gas it actually takes to fill up?

I divided it by tank size to get to 11.4 for easy calculation but if I do it it based on how much gas it takes to fill up its comes to 12.25 which is till considered to be bad compared to most in here

I'm curious as to Ziggy's findings who posted above. I'm not sure of the differences between a '05 and a '06, but his being otherwise identical to mine with smaller/lighter wheels I would expect much better mpg.
I think main difference would be transmission only and yes I would expect that too in a perfect world. You think weight might cause that much of a difference? I have a hardtop on but back seat is removed

Nothing I can do to better the MPG, I've tried. When I hear people say 18 or so MPG it sounds unbelievable,... as In complete bullshit.

Reminds me of how I feel when people on my Harley forums who swear up & down they get 50-55mpg on a full dressed 900 lb Electra Glide. I ride like a grandpa & if I'm lucky on a level highway with a tailwind the best I've seen is 37 mpg.

Reactions: 801 Driver
I think main difference would be transmission only and yes I would expect that too in a perfect world. You think weight might cause that much of a difference? I have a hardtop on but back seat is removed

Not that much difference. I'm betting something will turn up as the main culprit. About the only place I'm going to be able to let this Jeep stretch it's legs is to get on I-10...that will be the proof.

Not that much difference. I'm betting something will turn up as the main culprit. About the only place I'm going to be able to let this Jeep stretch it's legs is to get on I-10...that will be the proof.

Have u tuned ur TJ after the changes u made to it?

I’m cleaning my air filter now then will do a smoke test to see if there are any leakages in the fuel system that may cause the low mileage

Reminds me of how I feel when people on my Harley forums who swear up & down they get 50-55mpg on a full dressed 900 lb Electra Glide. I ride like a grandpa & if I'm lucky on a level highway with a tailwind the best I've seen is 37 mpg.

I rarely got over 35 MPG on any of my Harleys. Even the ones that weren’t hot rods because fuel rich runs cooler.
No more Harleys for me now. I’m a retired 1%er. It was a very harsh life that left me nothing but regret

Reactions: Potomus Pete
I rarely got over 35 MPG on any of my Harleys. Even the ones that weren’t hot rods because fuel rich runs cooler.
No more Harleys for me now. I’m a retired 1%er. It was a very harsh life that left me nothing but regret

The PO did tune her rich, I realize that's part of the problem but she runs great so I've just left it alone. I have the orange tuner but I don't wanna mess with it. Like you said it stays fairly cool for a Harley in Phoenix in summer so just gonna leave it. Its an '09 so no cat or anything to add more heat.

Have u tuned ur TJ after the changes u made to it?

I’m cleaning my air filter now then will do a smoke test to see if there are any leakages in the fuel system that may cause the low mileage

No tuning on mine. I have yet to even look at the air filter since I purchased the Jeep...something to do today.

I cleaned my filter and did the smoke test which helped in finding out that my fuel cap is not tight so I ordered one to replace it, while I’m sure the will contribute to the low mileage but I know something else is still not right

Then how go some guys GET 15, 16, 17, or more MPG? We're all driving the same brick!

Exactly - 165 miles driven last fill up and it took 10.3 gallons. I don't subscribe to that lower gearing brings better mpg theory. If you are overloaded and pushing heavy wheels, then I can see a need. Mine is not struggling or straining at all at 1500rpm...just simply loafing.

Some have overdrive (I don’t)some have the perfect gearing,

Yes, if you want to get into the mpg mindset you at least have to have a 5/6 speed manual or OD auto.

I HAVE the 5 speed. Somehow, even though I get 14 MPG in the city, I get 12 on the highway. $4.0, 3.73 gears, 31 in tires. I might do better with 4.10s, but that's not in the budget.
However my point was, just saying "It's a brick" doesn't take ANY of that into account any more than that picture comparing the aerodynamics of a cow to a TJ does.
Would I like more MPG? Of course. But the Smiles per Gallon can't be beat. I'll just drive my truck if I'm taking a road trip.