What MPG are you getting?

Stock standard 06 6 speed with 3.07 gears on 30,s no lift I got 16.5 mpg @ around 70mph almost all the way on a recent short road trip and that was fully loaded up plus a loaded hitch carrier.

last time I did this trip I didnt go over 60 and had my hard top on, still fully loaded with extra gear on the roof rack and I got closer to 18 mpg. There were heavy winds this trip and I think the soft top acted like a sail?

Around town stop slow stop go city driving I get a constant 15.5-16 mpg (US gallon)

I tank test every fill and I never go under half a tank unless on a longer trip. A full tank gives better MPG even given the extra weight because there is less evaporation, for those who doubt this then they should give it a go, I usually fill up at a 1/4 used.This may change though as the government tax relief of 98c per gallon at the pump stops in October.

Stock standard 06 6 speed with 3.07 gears on 30,s no lift I got 16.5 mpg @ around 70mph almost all the way on a recent short road trip and that was fully loaded up plus a loaded hitch carrier.

last time I did this trip I didnt go over 60 and had my hard top on, still fully loaded with extra gear on the roof rack and I got closer to 18 mpg. There were heavy winds this trip and I think the soft top acted like a sail?

Around town stop slow stop go city driving I get a constant 15.5-16 mpg (US gallon)

I tank test every fill and I never go under half a tank unless on a longer trip. A full tank gives better MPG even given the extra weight because there is less evaporation, for those who doubt this then they should give it a go, I usually fill up at a 1/4 used.This may change though as the government tax relief of 98c per gallon at the pump stops in October.

I have 2006 TJ sport 4.0 6 speed manual 2.5” lift 3.73 gear ratio on 31” tire size and I’m getting 11.4 mpg only !! Where am I losing all that mpg !!

My '05 with 33's and 3.73 did better than that even with the transmission woes...something is definately off there.

Yeah something is definitely wrong coz I only get 350km (217 miles) for a full tank which sucks to be honest but at least now I know it’s not from my gear ratio so I need to start looking at other things

Yeah something is definitely wrong coz I only get 350km (217 miles) for a full tank which sucks to be honest but at least now I know it’s not from my gear ratio so I need to start looking at other things

250 mile range is roughly the norm.
Check cats to see if they are clogged, refresh 02 sensors, try another fuel source.
Due to heat in your region or a bad fan clutch, your fan may be fully engaged at all times.

Reactions: 801 Driver
Check cats to see if they are clogged, refresh 02 sensors, try another fuel source.
Due to heat in your region or a bad fan clutch, your fan may be fully engaged at all times.

@Ziggy do you have the 19 gallon tank?

I get just a bit over 200 miles from a tank full. 15 gallon tank. I would love to have the larger capacity.

I recently changed my sensors so don’t think that’s the culprit, will check the cats next

2005 - 33" tires - 3.73 - automatic - 4.0

Preliminary mpg figures are promising...16mpg. These are after the transmission repair, 3/4 of the miles low speed stop and go without OD engaged. I suspect out on the road with OD in effect this one will have no issue registering over 18mpg.

Have not seen this price in awhile...feel bad for the diesel guys as there is no good reason for those jacked up prices.

gas price.jpg

Last edited:
2006 LJ 4.0/ 42RLE.. 10.5 to 11.8 mpg. 35's / 5.38.. When I was on 33's with 4.88 it was the same. I drive like an old man ( I am ), anytime i drive over 30 mph, I use cruise control. I drive 60 in a 65. Nothing I can do to better the MPG, I've tried. When I hear people say 18 or so MPG it sounds unbelievable,... as In complete bullshit.

Reactions: MikekiM
2006 LJ 4.0/ 42RLE.. 10.5 to 11.8 mpg. 35's / 5.38.. When I was on 33's with 4.88 it was the same. I drive like an old man ( I am ), anytime i drive over 30 mph, I use cruise control. I drive 60 in a 65. Nothing I can do to better the MPG, I've tried. When I hear people say 18 or so MPG it sounds unbelievable,... as In complete bullshit.

Even when mine was wounded it did better than that. Would an app showing mileage be enough to convince you? Btw, I AM an old man.

Even when mine was wounded it did better than that. Would an app showing mileage be enough to convince you? Btw, I AM an old man.

After I read my post I can see that it came across not as intended. I meant it to mean profound frustration on my part. I track my mileage nearly every tank. Ive been unable to make and any significant improvement. Although I've changed nothing specifically to improve mileage, I have replaced my entire exhaust system, o2 sensors, etc.. In spite of the softtop, it's heavy. I carry lots of tools and a fridge all the time. Still, my LJ @ 11.5 mpg, I could see a lightweight TJ getting 14 or 15, but 18 or better is unbelievable. Two engines with identical displacement shouldn't show a difference in economy by 80%, especially when the shape of each vehicle is fundamentally identical.

Reactions: HandOverFist