What kind of mileage are you getting out of your 42RLE?

srv1054

Lifetime Supporting Member
I'm curious to as to what kind of miles everyone expects or seems to be getting out of their 42RLE Auto transmission's before having to do a rebuild/reman/replacement of them?

I'm not the first owner of our 05 TJ but the previous owner did not list any transmission rebuild or overhauls just regular maintenance.

I'm sitting at about 210,000 miles on it now. It seems to do okay, although I noticed when hot it sometimes has trouble going from reverse to drive, delay then hard shit, but not always. It also seems to make a low vibrating sound in the highest gear at around 50-55 mph. Seems weird but not real issues so far.

Anyway, the reason I ask is if the general stance is the always need a rebuild by some number of miles lower then I have, I might use the winter to be proactive about getting that done (lots of good threads here about the differences). Or do you really start seeing major problems ahead of having to a replacement that makes it more obvious?

Thanks for any info!

141k. Unknown if bad pcm or wear caused the trans to go, but I had to replace both shortly after purchase.

A good shop can tell you if its working properly or about due.

I have a 2006 and mine died with only 95,000 on it. I'm currently waiting for a rebuilt one to arrive any day now. I didn't ever really wheel it much either.

I have a 2006 and mine died with only 95,000 on it. I'm currently waiting for a rebuilt one to arrive any day now. I didn't ever really wheel it much either.
Your problem may not be the tranny but may be the ECM. Call the guys at Wranglerfix and talk to them about what was going on that makes you think it's the transmission. ECM's are causing some shifting issues in 05 and 06's. Do some research on this site, there are numerous threads regarding this issue.

If I owned a 42RLE I would put a large transmission cooler on it and change the fluid out every 30k miles with ATF+4. The filter every 60k.

That seems to work the best in the 42RE in the WJs and ZJs.

I know it's a different transmission, but I ran a Magnefine in-line filter on the cooler line for the AW4 in my XJs, and the fluid always looked perfect.

Your problem may not be the tranny but may be the ECM. Call the guys at Wranglerfix and talk to them about what was going on that makes you think it's the transmission. ECM's are causing some shifting issues in 05 and 06's. Do some research on this site, there are numerous threads regarding this issue.
I bought it in to get checked out, I have no reverse and it moves forward for a few seconds when it's cold. I was really hoping it was just the ECM. It did feel like it was slipping in reverse for awhile earlier.

From what the salesman told me mine was rebuilt right before I purchased at 76k. I don't know what led to that. But I have since done a clean flush and installed the PCS trans and power steering coolers.

The Jeep also lived its life in NYC so I can't imagine that was easy on it.

How long the 42RLE lasts depends heavily on how hot the fluid gets and how long it remains above 240 degrees. Once the fluid gets up to 240 degrees, the clutch packs and seals will begin to fail.

I’m past 250,000 on my original transmission and it’s doing just fine. I do however maintain it properly and always have. I also know how to use the overdrive On/Off button to keep the torque converter locked up and reduce shifting between 3rd and 4th gear.

Keep it cool, change the fluid and filter every 30,000 miles and use gears that are appropriate for the tire size. It should last a long time.

Reactions: Irun
don't forget to perform maintenance as well!
I have a Ford E4OD transmission that has done a lot of towing with 440,000 + original miles.. they are rated for 175,000.

I credit that to a good transmission model, dropping the pan and changing the filter, running an aftermarket cooler, and not driving like a maniac.

I think the 42RLE may run longer if overdrive is not used for stop and go driving.

Mileage is 100% dependent on how you treat it. In an equal world, cooler transmission temperatures = longer life. Hotter temperatures = shorter life.

Reactions: AndyG