What Non-Stock Factory Options Did You Add to Your Jeep?

Why are you arguing with my choice of words?

It's nothing to get worked up about, it's just that most of us probably read "option" as something that was an available option when purchasing the Jeep new but not equipped on our particular Jeep. For example, on mine, ABS, a Dana 44 and a 30" tire package were options. The original purchaser of my 99 did NOT have the option to get their Wrangler brand new with mirrors from later model years that didn't exist yet, Rubicon flares, or parts from a Cherokee.

2002 med camel tan interior in a yellow 06
2003 coin tray in place of airbag shutoff switch
00-02 Sahara sun visors (camel tan)
Rubicon Moab wheels
Rubicon fender flares
Cipa Compass mirror
Mopar door entry guards
97 saddle carpet kit with Sahara rocker carpets
97-02 hardtop
Mopar factor fog lights (early models)

Reactions: Hog
It's nothing to get worked up about, it's just that most of us probably read "option" as something that was an available option when purchasing the Jeep new but not equipped on our particular Jeep. For example, on mine, ABS, a Dana 44 and a 30" tire package were options. The original purchaser of my 99 did NOT have the option to get their Wrangler brand new with mirrors from later model years that didn't exist yet, Rubicon flares, or parts from a Cherokee.

Some of you either didn't read my whole post or didn't pay close enough attention to what I wrote:

It could be OEM Jeep from another year or model, or something from Ford, GM, etc.

I even gave specific examples from my own 1998 Jeep that had later-model OEM Jeep parts. So can we stop playing "gotcha" and get back on topic now?

97 TJ

My rear rubi 44 came from an 00, and before that came from an 04 rubi
My first Dana 30 swap came out of 02 TJ
My HPd30 is a 92 I think
My front seats came out of an 03+ TJ rubi
No idea what year my second switch panel came out of
My softtop came from an 03 TJ
I did have a hardtop that was off a 98 I think
My ARB locker was originally installed in some other Dana 44
My hood I believe is from an 02
And a couple of tire snubbers were out of a junk drawer in someone elses garage

Sun visors and windshield trim from an early TJ

Mustang dead pedal

JK front turn signals

York AC compressor from an 80's Wagoneer

WK2 power steering cooler turned into an air compressor cooler

1998 5.9L Grand Cherokee hood louvers

Diff breather cap from a CJ7

Durango alternator

Windstar air intake

Extra fuse box cobbled together from XJ/ZJ pieces

Dodge Ram diff cover

Warn XD9000 from a factory equipped Land Rover Discovery

GM under hood retractable light

Last edited:
Dana 44s F/R and locker pumps out of a 2003 rubicon.

Bought 3 temp/compass mirrors from a guy in one of the Jeep groups for $50 apiece a couple years ago. Just now installed one. Easy to install. Only problem I had was they were a little larger than stock & driver side sun visor hits it. Also went on a 99 model that had no factory harness for it so had to wire it. Nice option.

I switched my soft top to a hard top. I thing the previous owner put full doors on. The paint is the same color body and doors but is ever so slightly different when the sun hits it at an angle.

It seems like my year Jeep has a lot of things people switch into newer Jeeps

I put Columbia edition seats in mine and I think I've tried just about every factory radio that fits in a newer TJ.

Did you settle on one? Mine had one from the wrong year when I bought it. I think it had adapters for the wiring but it was still the rounded faceplate. The big problem was the display would strobe when the dash lights were on. I ended up trying an RAZ and then an RBP, which is still installed. Its been a while, but I think the problem with the RAZ was low output at max volume.

My son's 99 TJ is a Canuck , we added an AC to it. That was ....fun

Did you settle on one? Mine had one from the wrong year when I bought it. I think it had adapters for the wiring but it was still the rounded faceplate. The big problem was the display would strobe when the dash lights were on. I ended up trying an RAZ and then an RBP, which is still installed. Its been a while, but I think the problem with the RAZ was low output at max volume.
I'm going to Crutchfield for my stereo. JBL has a nice marine unit with all the bells and whistles that will fit right in a Wrangler. For a few bucks more, they include an install kit with all the necessary connections and trim. Plus, their instructions are the best I've seen.

I had an RB1 for the longest time but at the end of the day it was just too unreliable. Now I use an Android head unit. My favorite factory deck was the RBQ with a built-in 6 disc changer. All the modern Chrysler decks have a DSP that is tuned specailly for the vehicle they were installed in, it can cause some of them to sound a little funny in a TJ.

Reactions: bedhed and joelachr
For my 04 LJ:

Autodim/Compass/Homelink mirror using factory wiring
OEM Cruise control, made my own harness
Half doors from a 97
Rubicon flares
06 Moab wheels
Mopar Rockcrawler bumpers front and rear