What should I do to compliment the Zone 4 inch lift?

Boondocker88

Looking to purchase a Zone 4" lift to fit 33" tires on a 04 LJ. Ill be mainly using this vehicle as a weekend vehicle, with trail riding and hopefully at some point some crawling. What does the group recommend to compliment this lift as next component upgrades to improve ride quality and stability?

Maybe a better question is, does anyone have a list of components to lift a Tj/LJ 4" but not to exceed $1,500 for the spend, excluding wheels/tires.

Have you considered the zone 4.25" combo lift? It is a 3" suspension lift with 1.25" body lift. It comes with a MML that accounts for fixing your driveline angle. I and many others on this site agree it is a great lift kit for the money. Perfect for 33's. It does the job for mine with 35's.

Not trying to steer you away from the 4" lift from zone but you will need a SYE if you go that route, which may quickly exceed what you're wanting to spend.

Currie Currectlync Steering would be a great compliment ~$500. JKS adustable trackbar would be nice also although not required with the 4.25" lift. Also a currie anti-rock would by a great sway bar to run.

X2. Though I would replace their body lift with a Savvy 1.25" body lift. It is a great platform that you can add upgrades as time allows. Get a quality adjustable track bar (Currie, JKS (though Metalcloak can be had for sub $200)), a set of Rancho shocks, currie antirock and the currie currectlync and you would have a very cable rig for somewhere just shy of $2k.

I thought that because its an LJ and has a longer drive shaft that I didn't need to add a SYE?

That is true only to a certain extent. With 3" springs and a body lift you will more than likely be fine. This is also where the motor mount comes in handy to help alleviate steep angles in the driveline.

Reactions: JMT and Cornbread
If you have a tight budget just get the Zone 4.25" combo and use it. Save the money in your budget for issues you find after the lift. Much easier to focus on the problems you have than the problems you might have.

Reactions: rasband
Thanks everyone for the help. What Im thinking is going with the Zone 3in lift kit, with upgraded shocks, a Savvy 1.25 body lift and a 1" motor mount lift. I like the idea of upgrading as things ware out, but also the Jeep has 100k and to my knowledge nothing as been replace besides the steering stabilizer. I want it to handle and steer well, what could I do first to improve that?

Thanks everyone for the help. What Im thinking is going with the Zone 3in lift kit, with upgraded shocks, a Savvy 1.25 body lift and a 1" motor mount lift. I like the idea of upgrading as things ware out, but also the Jeep has 100k and to my knowledge nothing as been replace besides the steering stabilizer. I want it to handle and steer well, what could I do first to improve that?
Personally I don't think the Zone springs are worth the price of that kit. The Zone shocks ride great and that's a big part of what that lift kit is. For my dollar I'd just get the 4.25" kit and drive it for a few years. Wear that out and then fine tune from there with miles under your belt. If you want to spend more initially with Savvy parts or different shocks then just use the Zone kit parts as a guide if that makes sense.

Forget you heard the word tuck for a few years.

just use the Zone kit parts as a guide if that makes sense
Yes.

In other words,

1) source better 3" springs (longer uncompressed length or OME HD 2" Springs with a spacer to get you to 3")
2) Rancho 5000X shocks
3) 1" MORE MML
4) 1.25" Savvy Body Lift
5) JKS adjustable front Trackbar
6) 2" Bumpstops (you can cut to fit)
7) Rear trackbar relocation bracket
8) Some sway bar disconnects

I want it to handle and steer well, what could I do first to improve that?
Should handle fine unless something is going on in your front end. If so, just do a ZJ Tie Rod Conversion.

For not much more $$ than that Zone lift you can get OME 2.5" springs, Rancho RS5000X shocks, a rear TB relocation bracket, Currie 1.25" BL and JKS 1" MML. Hockey pucks for bump stop extensions. Front adjustable track bar if funds allow. The ZJ tie rod is a great economic upgrade for the steering.

I thought that because its an LJ and has a longer drive shaft that I didn't need to add a SYE?

FWIW, my LJ with 3" lift did not require a SYE, but it did require dropping the transmission skid. When I regeared from 3.73 to 4.88, I got a slight vibration. I installed adjustable lower rear control arms, and greatly reduced the vibes. I'm still playing with control arm adjustment, but up to 60 MPH, no vibe, and again no vibe over 70 MPH. It's the 65 MPH speed where I get a vibe.

Whats a tummy tuck, sorry new to Jeeps.

Raising the tcase skid up. It requires some serious thought and you have to have adjustable control arms and a slip yoke eliminator along with a double cardan driveshaft to make it work. It sure goes a long way though if you offroad.

20160515_145841.jpg
20160515_142535.jpg

Yes.

In other words,

1) source better 3" springs (longer uncompressed length or OME HD 2" Springs with a spacer to get you to 3")
2) Rancho 5000X shocks
3) 1" MORE MML
4) 1.25" Savvy Body Lift
5) JKS adjustable front Trackbar
6) 2" Bumpstops (you can cut to fit)
7) Rear trackbar relocation bracket
8) Some sway bar disconnects

What do you recommend for the 3" springs that would be better than the Zone?

Unless the free length starts to interest you, one spring over another won't matter much as long as it creates the ride height you want.

The thing about the Zone combo kit is that it is a bare bones lift that does just enough to get the job done well enough for many people. Consider it a good start. To begin finishing the job, it really ought to have adjustable control arms/track bars and a double cardan rear drive shaft.

If you do some research here you will find there isn't really such thing as a better spring. It sets your ride height and that's about it. When somebody says get a better spring they just want you to be able to brag about some brand which will probably cost you a few bucks. As you continue your research you will start to realize the value in the Zone kit, the value of having somebody already having done all this for you.