What should I do to this TJ when I get it?

Dstormvet88

Hello. I am from Phoenix AZ. New to the forum group.
I have always wanted a Jeep but never pull the trigger, my brother owns a 2004 Sport that he is willing to sell. He lives in California and has never been off-road. Jeep is still 100% stock 200k miles. When I get it , what should I do first.

That’s for the input and guidance.

FE00142B-2CE3-4C81-95A0-BB277AD4780E.jpeg

D51DC0E7-3B25-4734-8533-87B51BD0ED63.jpeg

Ask what the maint has been on it- like fluid changes
Diff's
Engine
Coolant
Trannie
Check tire psi
look over frame

Check brakes for wear

Reactions: matkal, Tob and L J
Hello. I am from Phoenix AZ. New to the forum group.

welcome

I have always wanted a Jeep but never pull the trigger, my brother owns a 2004 Sport that he is willing to sell. He lives in California and has never been off-road. Jeep is still 100% stock 200k miles. When I get it , what should I do first.

Check the usual maintenance items: fluids, brakes, tires, battery and then drive it!

Looks nice. Congrats on the future aquisition. 🍻

If there is not a big history of maintenance, with that mileage I would do the following:

Replace the entire cooling system (see this thread: The Official Jeep Wrangler TJ Oxygen (O2) Sensor Thread)
Change the O2 sensors (see this thread: Jeep Wrangler TJ Cooling System Overhaul FAQ)
Change the spark plugs (see this thread: What are the best spark plugs for my Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0?)

I'd also refresh the suspension by changing out the shocks, replacing the ball joints (Wrangler TJ Ball Joint Replacement), changing out the control arm bushings, etc.

A lot of this seems like it might be unnecessary, and to some it may be. However, given that your vehicle is 16 years old with 200k miles, if maintenance hasn't been performed, there will be a lot of stuff just waiting to happen.

The first three things I mentioned would be where I would start, no question about it.

If there is not a big history of maintenance, with that mileage I would do the following:

Replace the entire cooling system (see this thread: The Official Jeep Wrangler TJ Oxygen (O2) Sensor Thread)
Change the O2 sensors (see this thread: Jeep Wrangler TJ Cooling System Overhaul FAQ)
Change the spark plugs (see this thread: What are the best spark plugs for my Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0?)

I'd also refresh the suspension by changing out the shocks, replacing the ball joints (Wrangler TJ Ball Joint Replacement), changing out the control arm bushings, etc.

A lot of this seems like it might be unnecessary, and to some it may be. However, given that your vehicle is 16 years old with 200k miles, if maintenance hasn't been performed, there will be a lot of stuff just waiting to happen.

The first three things I mentioned would be where I would start, no question about it.

Thank you . I appreciate it.
Any specific brand on the shocks, suspension parts?
Thanks

Start with some rockjock dana60's f&r, 6 inch custom suspension lift, atlas tcase, 40 inch swamp tires, hi line fenders, multiple comm-antennas for multiple radios, minimum combined 150,000,000 candela forward facing lights, and a hi lift jack... preferably a chinese knock off.

And a snorkel is definitely a must.

Reactions: qslim
Start with some rockjock dana60's f&r, 6 inch custom suspension lift, atlas tcase, 40 inch swamp tires, hi line fenders, multiple comm-antennas for multiple radios, minimum combined 150,000,000 candela forward facing lights, and a hi lift jack... preferably a chinese knock off.
Probably drape a half dozen fuel containers on it too just to be safe.

Reactions: AMS417
Ah, a clean slate. Take care of the routine maintenance stuff and enjoy it for the summer. The bug will hit you.

I can relate to that! LOL :D I got bit! Here is a pic of mine the day I got it and most recent after a lift! :D

F0A0D5A6-5BBB-448A-8DB9-DC0C71FAAC30.jpeg

Congrats on you soon to be Jeep. I started out changing my fluids, then as I drove it I decided on different things I wanted to do to it. My decisions on what I did and when was based on funds. LOL Remember what JEEP stand for Just Empty Every Pocket. :D

Reactions: Rick Flair
My standard reply is to remove any traces of the previous owner's, and their friend's, DNA from the vehicle (thorough cleaning). While cleaning I'd look for quarters under the carpet, diamond rings in the torque boxes, or incriminating items to blackmail your bro if/when the need arises. Then I recommend getting insurance, title transfer, plate/tags, and fuel. Put some miles on it and let it tell you what it needs with regard to tune-up, brakes, suspension, AC charge, etc.

If it runs and drives good, just drive it and and figure it out from there. You'll find out that either you like the Jeep or don't.

Avoid temptation to disassemble it, stash parts all over your dwelling, max out your credit cards, etc only never reassemble the Jeep and sell everything at a loss. If you do decide to do that, several people here will be on stand-by to buy you out of Jeep misery.

Reactions: AMS417