What should I do with my broken 2005 TJ?

zoevarga

Hi all, less than a month ago the frame on my 2005 tj finally cracked. I know by now that my best option is probably a different car but I don't know what the best way to profit off of my tj is. Replacing the frame is also an option however, the whole frame needs to go, it's rusted all over, and secondly the car needs to last me another 3-5 years with no major problems for a new frame to be worth it. Now back to the main point, if I can't salvage my soul car, what do I do with it? Part it out, scrap it, sell it as is? All advice welcome!

Hi all, less than a month ago the frame on my 2005 tj finally cracked. I know by now that my best option is probably a different car but I don't know what the best way to profit off of my tj is. Replacing the frame is also an option however, the whole frame needs to go, it's rusted all over, and secondly the car needs to last me another 3-5 years with no major problems for a new frame to be worth it. Now back to the main point, if I can't salvage my soul car, what do I do with it? Part it out, scrap it, sell it as is? All advice welcome!

you will always get the most if you part it out. But that takes time and work. Hard top is between $800 - $1000 alone, full doors are worth some. If that is a Rubicon axles, lockers certainly worth some. A frame swap is at $4500 from what I read, can you do that yourself? A rubicon is certainly worth saving.

you will always get the most if you part it out. But that takes time and work. Hard top is between $800 - $1000 alone, full doors are worth some. If that is a Rubicon axles, lockers certainly worth some. A frame swap is at $4500 from what I read, can you do that yourself? A rubicon is certainly worth saving.

strange enough, it's not actually a rubicon, some idiot maybe 2-3 owners ago put rubicon stickers on it

Reactions: 97' 4 Popper
Can you post some pictures of the frame?

687BC199-28E2-4DE2-AAB4-E84240037B5B.jpeg

the crack is on the rear drivers side and extends a few inches past what you can see on the left side

• Wow
Reactions: Plumber1
Maybe still under warranty, you might call the factory and ask. I can't believe the frame broke so easily! :cool:

That said, parting it out brings the highest value but a real pain in the ass dealing with it.

• Face Palm
Reactions: MikekiM
View attachment 422399
the crack is on the rear drivers side and extends a few inches past what you can see on the left side

That frame is absolutely cooked. I'd bet once you start cutting that back, you'll be going a long ways to find solid metal to weld to. Swapping the frame is the best solution for it, especially if you want to keep it and drive it for years to come.

If you want to get out of it, parting it out will make decent money, but in my opinion it's not worth the time and effort. You could just sell it as a project, advertise it honestly and it'll sell. A lot easier than chopping it up.

Reactions: TheBoogieman
I'd have to see the underside of the body to completely rule it out but very likely the body is shot too unfortunately.

Reactions: Plumber1
just thinking of all my options, would putting my engine into another car be viable. I have a straight 6 cylinder in good condition and i'd hate to see it go just because of the frame