STICKY What should I look for when buying a used Wrangler TJ?

Here's what I consider acceptable rust:

jeep-wrangler-tj-frame-rust.jpg

Here's what I consider unacceptable frame rust:

DSC00922.jpg

I should add that I personally don't consider ANY frame rust to be acceptable in all honesty. However, if it's just light surface rust like the first picture, it could be fairly easily fixed. The second photo is beyond repair, you'd need a new frame (and serious labor) to fix that.

Seriously though, if you're looking to buy a used TJ, don't get antsy to blow your money. Spend lots of time (even months or years) until you find the perfect, rust free TJ. They do exist, and I promise you they'll be so much less of a headache to own (and sell, should you ever want to sell it).

I should add that I personally don't consider ANY frame rust to be acceptable in all honesty.

Ha! I read the previous post thinking, that rust on the frame in the first picture would bug the shit out of me and I would need to address it immediately. :)

Ha! I read the previous post thinking, that rust on the frame in the first picture would bug the shit out of me and I would need to address it immediately. :)

I agree. If I had money saved to buy a TJ, I would wait years if I had to, just to find one that was rust free. However, there's a lot of guys who are impatient. I guess if I was going to buy one with rust, I would make sure it was surface rust only.

Still, dealing with rust is such a messy pain in the ass. You're better off avoiding rust altogether.

Reactions: Serbonze
I deemed this to be "acceptable" rust. I'm in Michigan, this came from Ohio and Originally Vermont. It will need wirewheeled and POR-15 coated within 6 months to prevent the spread of cancer. When I went to look at it, I used a ball-peen to check the frame. I wasn't gentle. Its solid, so its surface rust only. Floors are solid, body mounts are solid. Honestly, I calculated the cost difference between staying local (within 200 miles) and going to Houston or Florida to buy one. This was at enough of a discount that I deemed it worth my time to repair.

3064.jpg
20170219_134900.jpg
20170219_135016.jpg

20170219_135100.jpg

Reactions: sideproject
This is a really, really common question we see a lot of. I'm going to try to answer it as best I can, and if anyone else has anything to add please free free to respond.

Rust
If you're in the market for a 1997-2006 Jeep Wrangler TJ the number one thing you want to look for over anything else is rust. The chassis of these vehicles is extremely prone to rust issues, especially if you're located in the mid-west, east coast or other areas where they use salt on the roads in the Winter time.

Rust can be a huge issue on these vehicles. I've seen rust so bad that it's literally caused the frames to snap in half while driving down the road. It's no joking matter as that can be life threatening and extremely dangerous should something like that happen.

Having said that, when looking to purchase a TJ it would be a wise investment to either have a professional shop to a PPI (Pre Purchase Inspection) or if you feel comfortable doing it yourself, make sure to crawl underneath the vehicle and inspect every nook and cranny for rust. A few areas of surface rust isn't a big deal as it can be treated easily. What you're looking for will be huge areas of rust, and it will usually involve the frame of the vehicle.

In addition to checking the underside, it's a good idea to hit the frame (possibly with a rubber mallet) to see if you can knock any chunks of rust flakes loose from inside the frame (another area prone to rust).

It's always a safe bet to purchase a Wrangler TJ that has been a west coast car (or somewhere warm) where they don't salt the roads. Those vehicles usually have a much better chance of being free of rust issues.

Engine
You might have heard from someone that Jeeps are unreliable. This is actually quite inaccurate as a properly maintained Wrangler TJ is probably one of the most reliable vehicles out there. Take into consideration that you're dealing with an iron block, iron head, underhead cam pushrod driven engine. That's basically a tractor engine, and if you know about tractors, you'll know they build those things to be bullet proof.

The 4.0 engine in the TJ doesn't have any notorious weak points other than the OPDA (Oil Pump Drive Assembly). If the OPDA is going bad you will know because it will make a loud sound that almost sounds like a laughing barrel of monkeys. If you hear this noise it's bad news, so either have it inspected before purchasing it or walk away. It's a cheap part to fix and very easy to do, but if it goes bad it can result it catastrophic engine failure.

Other than the OPDA, the 4.0 (like most other engines out there) is as reliable as they come. Change the oil, do the scheduled maintenance and you shouldn't have anything to worry about. It's not uncommon by any means to see these things running healthy with perfect compression well past 300k miles. I've seen some with half a million miles still on the original internals.

This engine may not be the best performing engine, and it may be a gas hog at that. However, it certainly was built with longevity and durability in mind. The 4.0 engine found in the Wrangler has been around since 1965 since AMC first introduced it. It's got a proven track record and it's stood the test of time.

Drivetrain
Make sure you look at the trackbar(s) for wear and slotting of the mounts, especially the front one. This can cause death wobble and a potentially very dangerous situation. Also make sure that the transfer case shifts into 4WD (both high and low range) and functions properly. If the rig came with or has been retrofitted with lockers, be sure test them as well.

It's also helpful to determine what kind of axles the vehicle has prior to purchasing it. The addition of Dana 44 axles makes the Wrangler worth a bit more money and more desirable over all.

Conclusion
Rust should be your first concern when purchasing any used Wrangler TJ. It is hands down the number one issue with all used Wrangler TJs, and you really do not want to purchase a vehicle with major rust issues as it will be a huge, huge money pit.

Other than rust, there's really nothing vehicle specific that comes to my mind that you should look for when purchasing a used Wrangler TJ. Just like any other vehicle, you want to make sure you know the maintenance history, get a good CarFax, make sure the vehicle has never had any major accidents, clean title, etc. Unless you're looking for a project stay away from the cheap Wranglers as they often always spell trouble.

The Wrangler TJ is notorious for having a high resale value. Expect to pay a good chunk of change for one that is well kept and in good condition. Do your homework first, and if you see one that you're unsure about (or just want a second opinion) post pictures and details up on the forum so we can help you decide. A lot of us on here have a huge knowledge of Wranglers and would be more than happy to give you our thoughts and opinions.

Last but not least, check out the sticky on stock Wrangler TJ specifications as it will give you a complete break down of all the factory trim packages, models, options and specifications.

Looking at a 2006 Wrangler Unlimited TJ Long WH with 82,000 miles for my 16 year old. Obviously safety is a concern, and this forum is very helpful. Visible rust between front and rear bumper and frame; also at muffler/tail pipe and windshield wipers. Will probably need new soft top because rear window would not zip in. Only after factory is rear tow pkg with tow light kit and front fog lights on front bumper. Check engine light was on during test drive and radio did not work, as vehicle was just traded in to dealer and has not gone through detail or service check yet. Uploading photos for your opinion on buy or pass.

IMG_1647.JPG
IMG_1648.JPG
IMG_1649.JPG
IMG_1651.JPG
IMG_1653.JPG
IMG_1654.JPG
IMG_1655.JPG

Looking at a 2006 Wrangler Unlimited TJ Long WH with 82,000 miles for my 16 year old. Obviously safety is a concern, and this forum is very helpful. Visible rust between front and rear bumper and frame; also at muffler/tail pipe and windshield wipers. Will probably need new soft top because rear window would not zip in. Only after factory is rear tow pkg with tow light kit and front fog lights on front bumper. Check engine light was on during test drive and radio did not work, as vehicle was just traded in to dealer and has not gone through detail or service check yet. Uploading photos for your opinion on buy or pass.

View attachment 16549 View attachment 16550 View attachment 16551 View attachment 16552 View attachment 16553 View attachment 16554 View attachment 16555

What are they asking for it? Also, do you happen to have any photos of the frame at all?

The inside and outside look pretty good to me. A new soft top for an LJ model will set you back about $400-$1200 give or take (so factor that into the price, or negotiate them down on the price to compensate for that), but other than that and the rusty wiper blade, it looks good from what I can see!

Reactions: Mom of Teen
The wipers being rusted is nothing, those get replaced with new blades anyway. I don't think the rust on the ends of the frame where the bumpers mount is any big deal either. The bumpers are very easy to remove to work on eliminating the rust there. The biggest concern with rust is in the frame where the skid plate mounts, and where the lower control arm mounts are. If those are solid when checked with a hammer, any surface rust can be taken care of. If the dealer selling this will take care of the non-working radio and the check engine light, ask them to check out the rust also. By checking out the rust, I don't mean spray undercoating over it. That just masks the problem if there is one.

What are they asking for it? Also, do you happen to have any photos of the frame at all?

The inside and outside look pretty good to me. A new soft top for an LJ model will set you back about $400-$1200 give or take (so factor that into the price, or negotiate them down on the price to compensate for that), but other than that and the rusty wiper blade, it looks good from what I can see!
Asking $14,995 and I offered $12,500 because of top and possible engine problems.

Asking $14,995 and I offered $12,500 because of top and possible engine problems.
I don't know if you bought that Jeep, but for others looking I would like to make a few comments... one that is an unlimited Jeep wrangler so the asking price will be a little higher then a typical Jeep. I am assuming it is because not many of them are made each year vs demand for them. I live in PA pricing will change throughout the year, I am currently looking at Jeeps and have been price shopping for 5 years. most years june, july, and August are the height of sales so price will go up... that being said I noticed this year prices are falling right now which means it is a buyers market so be willing to offer much less. I found Car Gurus site to be very helpful in price changes and price fairness. Don't be afraid to get on your back or belly and crawl under the Jeep to search for rust in all locations, and if you don't have a hammer use your fist to knock on any rust to see if it crumbles, breaks, and how does it sound. this may sound like a waste of time but it isn't as stated above sellers will use paint to try and hide rust using your other sense will help you uncover what may be hidden. I have also found an app called VIN useful, just enter the vehicle vin and it will tell you about it. 3 lift up the carpet on the inside of the jeep, is the floor in good shape? 4 test soft top resiliency hard tops look for cracks or crack repairs. 5 drive the jeep and listen as you drive. That should give anyone a good head start

I Ann looking to buy my first Wrangler and I have my eye on this 2003 Tj Rubicon. It has been in Georgia all of its life so I'm am not too worried about rust. My main concern are the mods done to it, but who ever owned it spend a sizeabke chunk of money on rigid industries led lights so I'm hoping that they also used quality parts for the rest of the mods. One question I have is the vent looking thing on the hard top. I'm fairly sure that they don't come on the oem hardtop but I could be wrong. If anyone has any input or ideas on that or what I should be concerned about please let me know.

IMG_5486.jpg
IMG_5487.PNG

I Ann looking to buy my first Wrangler and I have my eye on this 2003 Tj Rubicon. It has been in Georgia all of its life so I'm am not too worried about rust. My main concern are the mods done to it, but who ever owned it spend a sizeabke chunk of money on rigid industries led lights so I'm hoping that they also used quality parts for the rest of the mods. One question I have is the vent looking thing on the hard top. I'm fairly sure that they don't come on the oem hardtop but I could be wrong. If anyone has any input or ideas on that or what I should be concerned about please let me know.

View attachment 21647 View attachment 21648

First off, that's an awesome, awesome color. If you can score that one, it's worth it just for the color alone (it's a pretty rare color).

The hard tops from the 1997-2002 models came with the rear vents. The ones for the 2003-2006 models came without the rear vents. The only difference in the hard tops is the vents, so realistically there is no problem with it having that hard top. Just know that it isn't the factory hard top that came with it. He probably bought it without a hard top, so he found one for sale used and put it on, it just happened to be from a 1997-2002 model.

Aside from those ugly LED light cubes and light bar (sorry, not a fan of them personally), it looks like it was well built. But that's hard to say for sure. Who knows what kind of lift is on there, and I'd still like to inspect the underside for rust regardless, only because you never know if it originated in Georgia or somewhere else.

Thanks Chris. Yeah I'm not a huge fan of the lights, but I'm hoping if someone is willing to spend 2 grand on lights then they wouldn't skimp out on the lift and other mods. I love the color also it's pretty sweet. I'll make sure to get under it and under the carpets to check for rust. It is from a dealer too so I doubt whoever traded it in told the dealer what parts they put on but I'll find out next weekend when I go check it out. Thanks again for the quick reply! Love the forum so far, tons of info.

Thanks Chris. Yeah I'm not a huge fan of the lights, but I'm hoping if someone is willing to spend 2 grand on lights then they wouldn't skimp out on the lift and other mods. I love the color also it's pretty sweet. I'll make sure to get under it and under the carpets to check for rust. It is from a dealer too so I doubt whoever traded it in told the dealer what parts they put on but I'll find out next weekend when I go check it out. Thanks again for the quick reply! Love the forum so far, tons of info.
That's a good looking Rubi. You do want to check that the lockers are working. Also, climb underneath and check for things like mud in the frame. If you can pull the plugs on the diffs and check for any water or oil fluid. Looks like it once had a winch. Check to see that the wiring hasn't been jacked up.

Yeah, I have an 05' but the hardtop has the vents and I know it was added by the PO. It just allows airflow. No problems, no leaks.