What to look for when buying used OEM hardtop?

SSTJ

———
Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi all,

Anything in particular that I should check for when buying a used OEM hardtop? I don’t mind faded paint or anything cosmetic, as I enjoy learning how to clean and restore. But functionally, what could I easily overlook?

For instance, do hard tops have any kind of rubber lining that goes between the top and the tub, that should still be there? Are hard tops known for cracking in any particular areas? I’ve never owned one, so I don’t know what to expect.

———

Update: Found this thread about the weatherstripping.

Last edited:
Take a close look for cracks, I dont know of any areas prone to cracks. When I bought my hardtop the guy had it on a hoist just a few feet off the ground. It had a few nicks and gouges in the top and I almost did not buy it. When its on the Jeep I cant see them due to my lift and 35's so I'm glad I got it. I did replace the gasket between the top and tub, that was easy. Glass is very hard to come by and expensive so be careful if you find one that is "perfect, just needs a window". I used magic erasers to restore the black paint, worked great. The gas struts are pretty easy to get.

Reactions: SSTJ
The 97-02 hard tops have the vents on the rear corners. The 03-06 do not because the tailgate door has vents.

Bumping this as I continue to shop.

I was serious about that example question in my OP: do hard tops have any kind of rubber lining that goes between the top and the tub, that should still be there?

Bumping this as I continue to shop.

I was serious about that example question in my OP: do hard tops have any kind of rubber lining that goes between the top and the tub, that should still be there?
A gasket is necessary (not a hardtop part) and can either be applied to the top itself or along the rear body line. People do it as they prefer and not something to be concerned with when buying a top. The others seals at the windshield and the rear window are available for replacement so should not be an issue for the right price.

Last edited:
A gasket is necessary (not a hardtop part) and can either be applied to the top itself or along the rear body line. People do it as they prefer and not something to be concerned with when buying a top. The others seals at the windshield and the rear window are available for replacement so should not be an issue for the right price.

Many thanks. Where would one go about finding a gasket like that? Something I can just ask about at a hardware store?

When buying a used hardtop, make sure you inspect it for cracks. The most common area for cracks that I see is the door surround area. People overtighten the front mounting bolt and it causes the top to crack in that area.

The most common area for cracks that I see is the door surround area. People overtighten the front mounting bolt and it causes the top to crack in that area.
Good information. I often dont even put a fastener in the forward location because its a pain and my hands dont work so well. The LJ top has three more bolts for each side.

Hi all,

Anything in particular that I should check for when buying a used OEM hardtop? I don’t mind faded paint or anything cosmetic, as I enjoy learning how to clean and restore. But functionally, what could I easily overlook?
I don't think there is very much to them. I know my hardtop has a pretty big chunk out of it where it meets the tub in the rear, my guess would be that area is going to be most damage prone. Look out for bondo or other signs of repair.

For instance, do hard tops have any kind of rubber lining that goes between the top and the tub, that should still be there? Are hard tops known for cracking in any particular areas? I’ve never owned one, so I don’t know what to expect.
As far as I know they did not come with any type of gasket. It's really not necessary to keep the rain out, but probably has value in keeping the paint from getting dinged up.

I had one with cracks at the upper corners of the rear window. The left side window was loose from the adhesive and just held in by the molding, so it rattled constantly. You can catch that by tapping on the window and hearing the rattle. A glass shop quoted me something reasonable to reinstall it but wouldn't guarantee they could do it without breaking the glass. I might have gone for it if it wasn't cracked, but I just sold it as-is for a low price.

Good luck with that, going rate here is $600 - $1000
That was sarcasm, because I have no use for one. If I buy a Jeep with one, it's only because I know I can get a quick $800. No reason IMO to have one. They do nothing better than a soft top, other than screw up your back removing one by yourself.

Reactions: jazngab
That was sarcasm, because I have no use for one. If I buy a Jeep with one, it's only because I know I can get a quick $800. No reason IMO to have one.
You never know, you seem to able to find the great deals. I am eyeing one of my customers 05 wrangler just sitting in the parking lot on flat tires. It is the same color as mine, has a hard top, full doors and canyon wheels. I know they will never fix it, so waiting for them to get sick of it and want to junk it for $500.

You never know, you seem to able to find the great deals. I am eyeing one of my customers 05 wrangler just sitting in the parking lot on flat tires. It is the same color as mine, has a hard top, full doors and canyon wheels. I know they will never fix it, so waiting for them to get sick of it and want to junk it for $500.
Have you asked them if they want to sell?