What tools for a minimalist tool kit?

Carve

TJ Enthusiast
Hi everyone. Just got a 2002 TJ with a 4" lift, 33's, 5-spd and 4.6 stroker.

I was wondering what tools are recommended for a MINIMALIST toolkit. By minimalist, I don't want to throw my 300 piece socket set in back if 200 pieces will never be used and of the remaining, only 25 are every likely to be needed for trailside repair. So, what I'm looking for is a list of particular sizes of sockets, screwdrivers, torx bits, pliers etc. I'm just looking at keeping weight, space, and complexity to a minimum.

Has anyone ever made a list of what is actually commonly needed?

Hi everyone. Just got a 2002 TJ with a 4" lift, 33's, 5-spd and 4.6 stroker.

I was wondering what tools are recommended for a MINIMALIST toolkit. By minimalist, I don't want to throw my 300 piece socket set in back if 200 pieces will never be used and of the remaining, only 25 are every likely to be needed for trailside repair. So, what I'm looking for is a list of particular sizes of sockets, screwdrivers, torx bits, pliers etc. I'm just looking at keeping weight, space, and complexity to a minimum.

Has anyone ever made a list of what is actually commonly needed?
Welcome aboard!

I get what you're asking, but it's actually a pretty tough question. The answer depends a lot on your maintenance schedule and how hard you wheel. I get buy just fine with one of those 90 piece clam shell tool kits and a few specialized TJ tools. I don't beat on my Jeep very hard. It's a whole nother story if you expect to break axles and suspension parts.

I'd carry a full set of combo wrenches in metric and standard and an 8 to 10 inch Crescent. Add a pair of vice grips, needle nose pliers and a set of Torx keys. You'll get 90 percent of the bolts, I reckon. If you have the room, a small 3/8 socket set would be handy. Trouble is that you need to double up...Jeeps use a lot of both styles (metric and std) bolts.

Reactions: JMT
A full set of 3/8" shallow sockets in standard and metric. A few select hex sizes. I've removed nearly all of my Torx from the drivetrain so I leave those at home. A 3/8" 4" or 6" extension. 2 ratchets. A full set of box end wrenches in standard and metric. A 1/2" breaker bar with a 3/8" reducer. A few select crowsfeet for my control arms and steering. There's generally somebody around with a jack handle to slip over the breaker bar or wrenches if needed. Knipex cobra pliers for cotter pins and other plier needs. Cell phone or another rigs headlights works as a flashlight. Jumper cables for starting or welding (I haven't previously carried rods but you can if YOU'RE the one planning on doing the welding, else I figure somebody who'd do the welding would carry some). Sheets of paper or a funnel. Depending on the trails a small folding hand saw. A quart or two of ATF+4, a quart of 10w30, a small bottle of DOT3, and a quart of diff fluid. I'm probably forgetting something but somebody else probably has it.

Reactions: connor grimes
I've slowly been gathering a list of what socket and wrench sizes I use whenever I work on the Jeep.

I'll warn you that much of my Jeep is not stock. But this gives you an idea of what I minimalist tool kit might look like. I haven't thinned mine out yet.

8mm
Front drive shaft bolts

10mm
Fan shroud

11mm
Radiator

13mm
Diff cover bolts
Coil rail bolts
Thermostat
Water pump

14mm
Rear truss diff cover bolt

15mm
Rear truss diff cover nut

16mm 5/8"
Oil drain plug
Spark Plugs

18mm
Skid plate
Exhaust ball flanges

19mm
Rear shock nuts upper and lower
Rear shock bolts upper and lower

21mm 13/16
Control arm bolts

23mm 7/8
Control arm nuts

15/16
Front track bar frame side nut
Front track bar frame side bolt

2003 Rubicon

I've slowly been gathering a list of what socket and wrench sizes I use whenever I work on the Jeep.

I'll warn you that much of my Jeep is not stock. But this gives you an idea of what I minimalist tool kit might look like. I haven't thinned mine out yet.

8mm
Front drive shaft bolts

10mm
Fan shroud

11mm
Radiator

13mm
Diff cover bolts
Coil rail bolts
Thermostat
Water pump

14mm
Rear truss diff cover bolt

15mm
Rear truss diff cover nut

16mm 5/8"
Oil drain plug
Spark Plugs

18mm
Skid plate
Exhaust ball flanges

19mm
Rear shock nuts upper and lower
Rear shock bolts upper and lower

21mm 13/16
Control arm bolts

23mm 7/8
Control arm nuts

15/16
Front track bar frame side nut
Front track bar frame side bolt

2003 Rubicon

Oh wow- just the kind of thing I'm looking for. Almost all metric- interesting.

What do you guys think about those sockets that grab the face of the nut rather than the corner and are metric AND standard compatible.

Oh wow- just the kind of thing I'm looking for. Almost all metric- interesting.

I have a nicer metric set than SAE. I'll grab from that pile first to see what fits. Some metric and SAE measurements are the same dimension. I've found a few where the "wrong" size fits a little more snuggly. I may very well be using the wrong wrench at times, but so far it hasn't been a problem...

2003 Rubicon

I have a nicer metric set than SAE. I'll grab from that pile first to see what fits. Some metric and SAE measurements are the same dimension. I've found a few where the "wrong" size fits a little more snuggly. I may very well be using the wrong wrench at times, but so far it hasn't been a problem...

2003 Rubicon
A guy was bitching about stripping the flange nuts on his trans mount that hold it to the skid. I said, "Let me guess, you used a Harbor Freight 12 point 13mm socket, right?" He asked me how I knew. 12 point sucks unless you need it, 6 point is far better, the nuts are not 13mm, they are 1/2" and yours were slightly rusty so there wasn't much to grab with the larger short corner socket and it stripped immediately.

Reactions: Scott B.
Wheel with friends that carry way to much of everything and you're all set.
We have had a few like that. I walked up to the back of a wheeling buddie's rig one time down in Truckhaven and peeked in the back. It was completely empty. No water, food, tools, spares, nothing. I was less than pleased to see that.

We have had a few like that. I walked up to the back of a wheeling buddie's rig one time down in Truckhaven and peeked in the back. It was completely empty. No water, food, tools, spares, nothing. I was less than pleased to see that.
I know what you mean. I'm one of the guys thats always over prepared

A guy was bitching about stripping the flange nuts on his trans mount that hold it to the skid. I said, "Let me guess, you used a Harbor Freight 12 point 13mm socket, right?" He asked me how I knew. 12 point sucks unless you need it, 6 point is far better, the nuts are not 13mm, they are 1/2" and yours were slightly rusty so there wasn't much to grab with the larger short corner socket and it stripped immediately.

Left to their own devices, all of my bosses have been notoriously be cheap when it comes to buying company tools. Something I've noticed with the multitude of cheap and no name tools I've used is that the stated dimension isn't always the same between wrenches. Some 12 points have a bit more meat than others. Sometimes you need to find the one that fits best, even if it means mixing standards and quietly tossing the junk that doesn't work.

My best sockets are mostly from a large set of Craftsmen 6 points that my dad bought me when I was 10 years old. I've added to it little by little and always made sure keep everything 6 point.

2003 Rubicon

Last edited:
Reactions: KCsTJ