Building a tool bag

Mcnenc1

TJ Enthusiast
So I searched and couldn’t find much info on the perfect tool bag. I’ll grab some ideas of others in the comments below and myself and compose a tool bag for our beloved TJs.

Things to consider going in it obviously tools to cover most “road/trail side fixes” to recovery straps and gear.

The ultimate goal to this would be to compose a great list of tools/gear that’s gets all the basic roadside/trailside care and then some if feasible.

Reactions: matkal
So I searched and couldn’t find much info on the perfect tool bag. I’ll grab some ideas of others in the comments below and myself and compose a tool bag for our beloved TJs.

Things to consider going in it obviously tools to cover most “road/trail side fixes” to recovery straps and gear.

The ultimate goal to this would be to compose a great list of tools/gear that’s gets all the basic roadside/trailside care and then some if feasible.

Been there, done it, wrote a how-to guide. End result: don't try to skimp on things too much.

Reactions: Mcnenc1
Keeping track of what you actually use is helpful. None of us need to carry the full socket set or the enormous plastic case they came with.

Several soft bags and tool rolls make organizing and packing easier.

Last edited:
Is there a thread on what to use to actually carry tools instead of the tools themselves? My husky bag is fairly annoying and doesn't carry enough. Interested to see some ideas on tool storage as I haven't seen a thread like that before.

Reactions: fuse and Mcnenc1
A very good offroading friend spent most of his adult life maintaining fighter jets on aircraft carriers. His idea of necessary gear, tools and spare parts conjures images of a convoy of supply ships.

My philosophy is to carry items necessary to deal with emergencies and to get me back to pavement and AAA rather than to be able to effect permanent repairs on the trail, and if getting to pavement is impossible then to have enough food, water and shelter to last until help arrives. The threads linked above are a great start toward developing your own list of necessary gear, tools and spare parts.

I carry most gear in Frontrunner "Cub Packs" and soft bags from Blue Ridge Overland Gear. The BROG tool bag is a bit pricey, but works extremely well.

21TB-L-3_1800x1800.jpg

21TB-L-2_1800x1800.jpg

https://www.blueridgeoverlandgear.com/products/tool-bag
Here is my LJ packed and ready to go except for ice and food in the cooler. Everything fits behind the rear seat and in the foot well behind the drivers seat. It is kept that way, a lesson confirmed when I was forced to flee the Carr Fire in Northern California last year on ten minutes notice. I just happened to be packed for an offroading trip the next day otherwise I would have escaped with almost nothing.

Gear ready for packing 05 05 19.jpg
Packed and ready to go 05 05 19.jpg

Is there a thread on what to use to actually carry tools instead of the tools themselves? My husky bag is fairly annoying and doesn't carry enough. Interested to see some ideas on tool storage as I haven't seen a thread like that before.
That’s a good question.. I’m now running into this problem

A very good offroading friend spent most of his adult life maintaining fighter jets on aircraft carriers. His idea of necessary gear, tools and spare parts conjures images of a convoy of supply ships.

My philosophy is to carry items necessary to deal with emergencies and to get me back to pavement and AAA rather than to be able to effect permanent repairs on the trail, and if getting to pavement is impossible then to have enough food, water and shelter to last until help arrives. The threads linked above are a great start toward developing your own list of necessary gear, tools and spare parts.

I carry most gear in Frontrunner "Cub Packs" and soft bags from Blue Ridge Overland Gear. The BROG tool bag is a bit pricey, but works extremely well.

View attachment 102884

View attachment 102885

https://www.blueridgeoverlandgear.com/products/tool-bag
Here is my LJ packed and ready to go except for ice and food in the cooler. Everything fits behind the rear seat and in the foot well behind the drivers seat. It is kept that way, a lesson confirmed when I was forced to flee the Carr Fire in Northern California last year on ten minutes notice. I just happened to be packed for an offroading trip the next day otherwise I would have escaped with almost nothing.

View attachment 102881View attachment 102882
Wow that’s awesome! Good to hear you’re okay. This set up is incredible. I love the simplicity of it and the labeling for quick grabs. Thanks for this!! I’ll be using it in the near future

. . . This set up is incredible. I love the simplicity of it and the labeling for quick grabs. . . .

Thanks.

The labels are mostly for show because I know what each bag and storage box contains. However, they are very helpful when sending someone for the "Recovery" bag or directing someone to the "Toilet" bag when they appear to be in some distress and time seems short.

Thanks.

The labels are mostly for show because I know what each bag and storage box contains. However, they are very helpful when sending someone for the "Recovery" bag or directing someone to the "Toilet" bag when they appear to be in some distress and time seems short.

I label all of my containers for this exact reason; most also contain a list of their contents, printed in large, friendly letters.

I label all of my containers for this exact reason; most also contain a list of their contents, printed in large, friendly letters.

I once had a girlfriend like that. She had an index card in every drawer with a list of contents and the boxes on the shelves in her garage were clearly labeled with everything inside. Heck, when she threw me out she even packed up my stuff in brand new clearly labeled moving boxes, enclosed a list of contents, then shrink wrapped the boxes onto a pallet.

Who says OCD isn't sexy?

I bought a 200pc Stanley tool kit for $90 from Walmart. I also keep an interchangeable screwdriver and a 1/2” extendable ratchet from Harbor Freight. I’ve always taken this setup with me in any vehicle I’m road tripping in and it’s saved me on multiple occasions. The last one was an alternator job in the Hampton Inn parking lot in 15* weather this past winter 🥶 that and a $50 lithium jump pack saved me from a lengthy repair/tow bill.

Reactions: Jack72 and Mcnenc1
I once had a girlfriend like that. She had an index card in every drawer with a list of contents and the boxes on the shelves in her garage were clearly labeled with everything inside. Heck, when she threw me out she even packed up my stuff in brand new clearly labeled moving boxes, enclosed a list of contents, then shrink wrapped the boxes onto a pallet.

Who says OCD isn't sexy?

OCD has nothing to do with it. I don't need a label to know where everything is, and I don't really even want one; they're a pain, and they take up valuable space...but I'm not the only one that needs to know where to find stuff in my rig. Just as indicated with the "Recovery" label, I prefer for other people to be able to find anything they need in my gear; it's mostly emergency preparation. If I'm incapacitated or unavailable, people may need to be able to things without my assistance; that makes the labeling of paramount importance.

Reactions: Jack72
I bought a 200pc Stanley tool kit for $90 from Walmart. I also keep an interchangeable screwdriver and a 1/2” extendable ratchet from Harbor Freight. I’ve always taken this setup with me in any vehicle I’m road tripping in and it’s saved me on multiple occasions. The last one was an alternator job in the Hampton Inn parking lot in 15* weather this past winter 🥶 that and a $50 lithium jump pack saved me from a lengthy repair/tow bill.
Thanks for sharing! Definitely noted and will be looking for that tool kit!

Tbh I have never used a roll up ever. I’ve always had bags or boxes. This is perfect. I like the idea of getting under the hood and rolling it out with you so no more getting up and grabbing more tools from the bag/box