What type of communication radio is best?

I typically try to use FRS/GMRS on low power to communicate, but that's usually once I'm at a location we're gonna hang out at for awhile (and most won't get their ham license and the UV5rs are just too cheap for all the features to mess around with other radios, though violating the law). I've used some CB, but most people seem to only want to use the handheld and that seems more spotty than a cell phone and most of the time we only need this on the highway where cell phones often work.

Last year I started playing around with DMR, but this works better, from my limited use in cities, where..most cell phones work. With some practice I think I'd lean toward vehicle to vehicle 2m/70cm, but I would think FRS and GMRS would work for most groups, but I typically find anyone else doesn't have anything and it's hard to teach much on radios in a few minutes besides, well, lets use channel X and then set the power to low unless you think you'll have to run high power.

Because Jeeps can be loud, I do plan to go to headsets and intercom for mostly 2m/70cm/FRS/GMRS/Cell Phone, which I think is enough for normal non-life threatening emergencies.I mounted my 8900R to my smittyoverhead console thing.

I recently had a medical emergency and so I'm gonna look into something like inreach. If I had been out, I'm really not sure how it would have worked out, though I probably would have just sucked up the pain and driven somewhere an ambulance can go.

Smittybilt Overhead.jpg

. . . I recently had a medical emergency and so I'm gonna look into something like inReach.
If I had been out, I'm really not sure how it would have worked out, though I probably would have just sucked up the pain and driven somewhere an ambulance can go. . . .

I like my inReach for those times when I'm outside cellphone range and more than 100 miles from the closest ambulance.

Beach at San Roque north of Bahia Asuncion.jpg

Reactions: Apparition