What would it take to build a TJ with no computer?

TH99TJ

TJ Enthusiast
I have been thinking lately, hearing all the buzzz about nuclear war, EMP attacks etc. For the sake of discussion, has anybody thought about what it would take to run a 4.0 with a carburetor in that "electronics let their smoke out scenario". I mean go beyond adapter plate carb to manifold, how would we get spark? Throttle is cable so no biggie, Fuel pump is easy, just add a regulator so it doesn't just shoot out of the carb, A 32 RH is not computer controlled nor is a manual, the 42RLE would be dead. BTW when I say run, I don't mean runs great, everything works perfect, I mean Vrooom Vroom lets drive down the road and get supplies. This is assuming the EMP is not so massive that it burns out electric motors, only sensitive electronics.

YJs ran for years without fuel injection. Spark is a something else. I’m not sure how the coil and condenser would be affected, and if you could still use some sort of hall effect sensor as the trigger…you might have to go way back and adapt some sort of points ignition

I don't think a TJ would be very susceptible to an EMP.

The EMP Commission did a study in 2004 with simulated EMP blasts on 50 vehicles and only one was damaged (a Buick IIRC)

EMP Effects On Cars

Don't need gauges in a pinch...like say an apocalypse... although oil pressure and engine temp would be nice.

My 97 has a "distributor" - assuming it would take a bolt on from a CJ or YJ with points. Wire that straight to the battery. Starter...just need to trigger the relay...and then carburator... can't mount them sideways so again would want a new intake but I'll betcha I could rig something up in a pinch with my welder or duct tape and cardboard or PVC pipe.

I think there's a post on here showing the AF tested these TJs for EMP and found they were pretty tough. Guessing we might not need to touch anything.

I'd spend most of my time taking the top off and rigging up a mount for two ARs set up side by side. Maybe a few steel plates for the doors... original half doors... don't want any holes.

-Mac

You'd need a distributor with points... Completely new set of gauges... Park in an underground shelter?

Just put on a tinfoil had, and sit in a hole... you'll be fine!

WOW, What we have here is an outta the box thinker gracing us. So do you attach the underground bunker to your Jeep and drive around? Or maybe just tell the bad guys OR the sun to wait till you get back to your bunker before they are mean. BTW gauges are nice but do not stop an engine from running, easy enough to throw a manual gauge on the oil and temp and duct tape them to the cowl! OHHH PS an EMP will go through stuff unless it is conductive, so a parking structure/shelter is only so helpful depending on depth and construction.

Don't need gauges in a pinch...like say an apocalypse... although oil pressure and engine temp would be nice.

My 97 has a "distributor" - assuming it would take a bolt on from a CJ or YJ with points. Wire that straight to the battery. Starter...just need to trigger the relay...and then carburator... can't mount them sideways so again would want a new intake but I'll betcha I could rig something up in a pinch with my welder or duct tape and cardboard or PVC pipe.

I think there's a post on here showing the AF tested these TJs for EMP and found they were pretty tough. Guessing we might not need to touch anything.

I'd spend most of my time taking the top off and rigging up a mount for two ARs set up side by side. Maybe a few steel plates for the doors... original half doors... don't want any holes.

-Mac

Can't mount sideways? What do you mean by that? The 4.0 TB is flat on top.

WOW, What we have here is an outta the box thinker gracing us. So do you attach the underground bunker to your Jeep and drive around?

An EMP will only last milliseconds, afterwards you can drive about as normal in the post-apocalyptic wasteland.

You asked a question, I was not going to be an asshole about answering... maybe I should have.

• Haha
Reactions: sab and Ocho
Yea, it would be hard to turn a mechanical pump with an engine not designed for it.

I think the spinning the pump would be a challenge but doable, but how much fuel delivery is the biggie, what existing unit is even close to a 4.0 in it's needs. All the mechanical FI I am aware of are for diesels not including the corvette. Running a diesel pump with gas will eat it in short order, no lubrication from the gas.

An EMP will only last milliseconds, afterwards you can drive about as normal in the post-apocalyptic wasteland.

You asked a question, I was not going to be an asshole about answering... maybe I should have.

I appologize. But your response was rude and I responded to your rudeness, my bad. Just for the record, you would have NO idea an EMP hit unless it affected the electronics around you. These are REAL threats not made up tin foil conspiracy theories. There was a study that says something like 80-90% of people would die if an EMP took out the electric grid. NO electricity means NO anything! food, fuel, AC/Heat, refrigeration, hospitals, phone, internet etc. etc. then there would be the "pleasant humanitarians" roaming around killing people for their belongings. This is a subject most people laugh off because when you really pay attention, it should scare the crap out of you. When we have people in charge virtually pushing for war, be concerned.

I appologize. But your response was rude and I responded to your rudeness, my bad. Just for the record, you would have NO idea an EMP hit unless it affected the electronics around you. These are REAL threats not made up tin foil conspiracy theories. There was a study that says something like 80-90% of people would die if an EMP took out the electric grid. NO electricity means NO anything! food, fuel, AC/Heat, refrigeration, hospitals, phone, internet etc. etc. then there would be the "pleasant humanitarians" roaming around killing people for their belongings. This is a subject most people laugh off because when you really pay attention, it should scare the crap out of you. When we have people in charge virtually pushing for war, be concerned.

If you are that paranoid, move to Kansas, buy yourself a retired missile silo, and stockpile 3 years supply of everything you'll need.

IF we were ever hit with a nuke that caused an EMP big enough to take out modern conveniences, you've got way bigger issues that figuring out how to get your Jeep to survive... Really, you should move to within a few miles of a key target so that you just get vaporized... then no need to stockpile or worry about survival efforts in the nuclear winter.

The study was done in 2004 on cars up to 2002. I bet if they did it again the results would be vastly different. Computers were way different back then, TVs were square, and your phone was a phone.

There were still cigarette lighters, ash trays, and cassette radios in cars.

All the study shows now is the older the car the better. If you've ever taken a new car to a dealer with electrical gremlins, you already know that.

Reactions: RangerTJ and TH99TJ
If we have an EMP strike large enough to kill every electronic devise I think one would have bigger issues than having their Jeep running to worry about.
If I was concerned enough to prepare my Jeep for such a scenario I would first have 2-3 years of supplies stockpiled and a safe bunker to live in.

Wouldn't it be a better idea to convert to propane? If there are no public services then getting gasoline will be difficult to impossible. Gasoline has a short storage life but propane can be stored for 25 years or more. If someone was so inclined as to prep for the apocalypse it seems this would be a much better option. Not only could it power a vehicle but it could be used for cooking and heating and be stored in a large enough amount to make a difference without spoiling. I don't have any idea if the TJ could be eaily converted but I seem to recall a kit for the YJ.

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
The study was done in 2004 on cars up to 2002. I bet if they did it again the results would be vastly different. Computers were way different back then, TVs were square, and your phone was a phone.

There were still cigarette lighters, ash trays, and cassette radios in cars.

All the study shows now is the older the car the better. If you've ever taken a new car to a dealer with electrical gremlins, you already know that.

All TJs are crude compared to cars of today, and everything in that time frame had EFI.

With a manual transmission TJ, the EFI is the only thing you'd really need to worry about and that seemed to be pretty resistant in all the vehicles tested.

HERE is a link to the summary of the report

If you are that paranoid, move to Kansas, buy yourself a retired missile silo, and stockpile 3 years supply of everything you'll need.

IF we were ever hit with a nuke that caused an EMP big enough to take out modern conveniences, you've got way bigger issues that figuring out how to get your Jeep to survive... Really, you should move to within a few miles of a key target so that you just get vaporized... then no need to stockpile or worry about survival efforts in the nuclear winter.

Paranoid? Is wearing a seat belt paranoid? excuse me if I ignore your advice, thank you tho. You could actually do some research on the subject tho. Here is some real info, a nuke could be detonated outside of the atmosphere creating an EMP and only an EMP no vaporization, fall out or other contamination. Our electrical grid is like and old grandma with massive osteoporosis just waiting to slip on the grand kids marbles all over the floor, once she goes down, she's going to be difficult to get back up again. Add to that, we MAKE NONE of the components in the USA to fix said power grid, IF it does happen, it will not be pretty and people will devolve quickly.
Lets also back up to my original question, it was for discussion not an argument, what about using a 4.0 to maybe power a water pump, same pricipals. We all prepare for life happenings. I have a winch, a Hi-lift, a snatch strap, multiple attachment points, clevises, soft shackle, a shovel etc etc. Does that make me paranoid of myself or someone else getting stuck. OR Do I simply know what tools and knowledge it requires to do a recovery? It's all perspective and willingness to see multiple view points and understand those view points before dismissing them.