What year hard tops are interchangeable for the Jeep Wrangler TJ?

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Ride of the Month Winner
I've been seeing people ask a lot lately if a 97-02 TJ hard top will fit a 03-06 model TJ, or vice versa.

The answer is YES. All TJ hard tops from 97-06 are interchangeable. The only difference is that the 97-02 hard tops have vents on the rear corners, whereas the 03-06 models do not. These vents are to make it easier to shut the doors. 03-06 model TJs had the vents in the tailgate as oppose to the hardtop, whereas 97-02 had the vents in the hard top.

The other difference is that the connection plug for the rear wiper and defrost are different between the 97-02 and 03-06 hard tops. In order to make the rear wiper and defrost work, you'll need to find the correct plug and swap the wiring around a bit. You can read more about how to do that here: Hardtop wiring: converting plugs to match different years

Other than that though, it's a bolt-on affair, and they all interchange.

I have a '97 TJ and I'm thinking of buying a hardtop instead of replacing the original soft top. Are there any venting options that 97-02 owners have used after purchasing a 03-06 model hardtop? Is it a big issue that you need to address?

Also, I've seen a few hard tops on Craigslist that do not have any hardware. Is this hardware anything special? Can it be purchased at a local hardware store or would you need to contact Davey's? Thanks.

Reactions: Blondie70
I have a '97 TJ and I'm thinking of buying a hardtop instead of replacing the original soft top. Are there any venting options that 97-02 owners have used after purchasing a 03-06 model hardtop? Is it a big issue that you need to address?

Also, I've seen a few hard tops on Craigslist that do not have any hardware. Is this hardware anything special? Can it be purchased at a local hardware store or would you need to contact Davey's? Thanks.
Bolts washers and nuts will work. Get the corner rubber seals by the doors if you can, but it's not a dealbreaker

Reactions: RussTJ

I don't think its 100% necessary to have it vented. A little more cabin pressure when you close the doors with the windows rolled all the way up, and there would be less air flowing through the air vents with the windows closed.

Reactions: RussTJ
I have been wondering about this for quite a while now. After I bought a '97-'02 style for my '06, I started noticing a persistent water leak.

After searching up and down the door jambs, I noticed this gap. I've filled the space with weatherstripping, but it still leaks. How does the '03-'06 style look in this area?

PicsArt_12-12-12.46.44.jpg

IMG_20191213_122338.jpg

Wiring question I am looking at a 2001 wrangler soft top and it doesn’t have wiring for the wiper or defrosters or sprayer. But I have a diner wrecked 2000 wrangler that I plan to take the top off and can move a lot of things off of.
How ugly is it to move that harness over would the 2001 soft top have plugs I could plug the harness from my hard top Jeep and move my switches over also?

im Sure it will be more obvious if I buy it but I can’t really dig in to the harness and check while on a test drive.
Thanks

Wiring question I am looking at a 2001 wrangler soft top and it doesn’t have wiring for the wiper or defrosters or sprayer. But I have a diner wrecked 2000 wrangler that I plan to take the top off and can move a lot of things off of.
How ugly is it to move that harness over would the 2001 soft top have plugs I could plug the harness from my hard top Jeep and move my switches over also?

im Sure it will be more obvious if I buy it but I can’t really dig in to the harness and check while on a test drive.
Thanks
Does your soft top have defroster, wiper, or sprayer?

Thanks
Nvm. I get what you're asking. Didn't at first, but...😂

Nvm. I get what you're asking. Didn't at first, but...😂

Thanks
My bad.

Thanks for trying :) was writing that up on my phone earlier after the test drive and waiting for an opening with my mechanic to do a new car inspection. It is a clean very stock and unmollested 2001 and very limited extras. Things I just thought they all had. It doesn't have cruse control, or the rear wiper or defroster controls. It does have the full doors and the aluminum jeep wheels but other than that it must be the least featured jeep I have ever seen. Not that I expect a lot of extras in a wrangler.

I think I am going to get it. I read about swapping over the cruse control from a doner rig was easy if the wiring harness was available under the hood by the clutch master cylinder and if there was a wiring harness in the steering wheel. While the mechanic was doing his inspection I took the steering wheel part way open to see if there were wires in there but it looks like not.

I won't further hijack this thread but If some one does come across if I can harvest and simply run the harness from the doner rig pictured below and tie into the stock harness of the newer 2001 that I am looking at let me Know I will put my results also once I have them.

Doner rig (little sisters break all your best toys. Both her and the tree were ok for the most part)

IMG-0374.JPG

IMG-0366.JPG

thanks Guys and Gals

Reactions: Chapman4266