What's a good sounding exhaust for the TJ?

Listen to what others are saying. Keep the exhaust close to a stock sound. My favorite exhaust, out of several tried, is the Walker 21456 Quiet Flow muffler. It mates nicely with the 54227 tailpipe. I'm using a Walker 2 1/2" lap joint clamp (33976) to connect the primary converter to the secondary converter, and a Walker 2 1/4" lap joint clamp (33975) to connect the muffler to the tailpipe. The clamps allow the exhaust to be tweaked (i.e. moved in and out, and twisted) to fit whatever setup you have. They also make it incredibly easy to disassemble the exhaust later, should you need to work on something that requires removing it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000VKT19K/?tag=wranglerorg-20
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000C91G7K/?tag=wranglerorg-20
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0015KUF5Y/?tag=wranglerorg-20

20210506_175027-jpg.251077

20210517_190619-jpg.253144

I can't find a good picture of the Walker 33975 clamp from the muffler to the tailpipe, but it looks just like this.
20210522_125506-jpg.254232
That is one clean jeep.

I'm using the walker quiet flow that @Irun referred to. It's as much sound as I want.

I blame the 4.0s exhaust manifold design; it just doesn't sound pretty. I know inline 6s are capable of sounding good because I had a Datsun 280Z with a 40 series flowmaster and no cat that purred but I also had a long tube 6-1 header and an ITB carb setup on it.

Reactions: txbemis69 and Irun
I'm using the walker quiet flow that @Irun referred to. It's as much sound as I want.

I blame the 4.0s exhaust manifold design; it just doesn't sound pretty. I know inline 6s are capable of sounding good because I had a Datsun 280Z with a 40 series flowmaster and no cat that purred but I also had a long tube 6-1 header and an ITB carb setup on it.
A buddy of mine had a 260Z back in the 80s. What a fun and reliable car it was. The interior dash was awesome, compared to other cars of the time. Sporty is an understatement!

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
I’ve pretty much had all the bolt on cat backs besides banks and magnaflow. MBRP has been the best fitting and lasted the longest. It’s not too loud and sounds decent.
Ive been looking at that one alot actually. Have you had any issues with rust?

I had MBRP on my 04 and it was by far my favorite 4.0 exhaust. Just a little bit louder than factory and not obnoxious. Adds just a nice little rumble. Eventually I'll add one to my LJR

I had MBRP on my 04 and it was by far my favorite 4.0 exhaust. Just a little bit louder than factory and not obnoxious. Adds just a nice little rumble. Eventually I'll add one to my LJR
I have an 04 aswell. That sounds exactly like what I'm looking for frankly. I don't want it obnoxiously loud but I want it to sound better than a corrola.😂

If your hearing is that bad, you wouldn't be able to tell any difference anyway.
Actually.... there are certain frequencies I can hear all too well... unfortunately my EX's voice possesses one of those frequencies...

Last edited:
Stick with something quiet. Especially if you wheel.

My walker is too loud for my liking, I would like something much quieter.

Reactions: Tob
Maybe at 31 I'm getting old, but I've found anything loud to only be cool for a couple days. Flowmaster will be loud all the time, Magnaflow does a better job in my opinion of enhancing the 4.0L rumble without being obnoxious, and no baffles to break inside. Every flowmaster I had on my old Jeeps broke a baffle or rusted out much quicker than I imagined it would, just garbage build quality. I'd stick with stock, the walker Quietflow SS, or if you want a bit more rumble, a Magnaflow muffler with an 18" long case.

Reactions: Irun
A buddy of mine had a 260Z back in the 80s. What a fun and reliable car it was. The interior dash was awesome, compared to other cars of the time. Sporty is an understatement!

My dad had a 280Z from about 1989-1991 (following a 260 and 280 he'd had when they were new, before I was born), which is when I was about 6-8. It captured my attention and I couldn't wait to get one for myself. I got it for $2k right before I graduated from high school in 2002 and kept it all the way through college, but eventually life's priorities changed and I had to sell it. It was a bit of a rust bucket anyway so I didn't let go of a high value example, but I've wanted to get a clean one some day again. Like TJ's though, the ones that haven't rusted away by now have gotten astoundingly more expensive.

Reactions: Irun
Maybe at 31 I'm getting old, but I've found anything loud to only be cool for a couple days. Flowmaster will be loud all the time, Magnaflow does a better job in my opinion of enhancing the 4.0L rumble without being obnoxious, and no baffles to break inside. Every flowmaster I had on my old Jeeps broke a baffle or rusted out much quicker than I imagined it would, just garbage build quality. I'd stick with stock, the walker Quietflow SS, or if you want a bit more rumble, a Magnaflow muffler with an 18" long case.

same boat. I had loud mufflers on everything when I was young. I'm 38 now and unless it's a domestic V8 with an aggressive stock exhaust (like a stock 5.0 Mustang or a SRT Challenger), I'd rather not hear it at all.

The Quiet Flow is great because I hear it at idle or parking lots but at speed it disappears completely.

Reactions: jeepguy03 and Irun
They last me about 4 years in about the worst salt and sand conditions you can imagine and when it’s not winter it’s bathed in the salt air of coastal maine lol 😂 I’m actually pretty happy with the 4 years I get out of one. I’m on my 3rd cat back.

Maybe at 76 you want a little sound again !! Does anyone sell the piece with the fittings to replace the section with the 3rd cat ?? Has three bolts on one end and two on the other. thanks D