What's a good sounding exhaust for the TJ?

I'm using the walker quiet flow that @Irun referred to. It's as much sound as I want.

I blame the 4.0s exhaust manifold design; it just doesn't sound pretty. I know inline 6s are capable of sounding good because I had a Datsun 280Z with a 40 series flowmaster and no cat that purred but I also had a long tube 6-1 header and an ITB carb setup on it.
sure would love to get my hands on a z car. had a 76 280Z back in the day(83-85). that inline 6 would shit and get!

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
1651686894762.png

I'm running this.

Flowmaster Catalytic Converters - 2049170

When I bought mine, just a year ago, it was under $400. Now it's over $1K. 😡

20210420_161458-jpg.245733

you should offer a service for people to ship their Jeep to you to be cleaned up. Though I'm sure you have enough hours in it that there would be some sticker shock.

Reactions: Irun
you should offer a service for people to ship their Jeep to you to be cleaned up. Though I'm sure you have enough hours in it that there would be some sticker shock.
There would be! I'm sure I could get faster, but just the frame is between 20 - 40 hours, depending on severity. :(

Ive seen/heard good sounding 4.0s. Not all of them sound bad which is the whole point for me asking lol.
I think they can sound great, as long as you only mildly mod the exhaust. A large case magnaflow with stock size piping can enhance the i-6 tone, but something loud will just get old after a few days. I still like loud dirt bikes, muscle cars, etc, but I don't commute with those.

Obviously the 4.0 doesn't sound amazing, but I can't lie I've heard some drive by me that don't sound bad at all. My friend has a banks monster (I think the muffler was $200) and it sounds pretty good, not too overpowering but a nice sound.

I've spent a lot of time trying to make my jeep quieter with sound deadening and mass backed carpet and upgrading my stereo so I can hear it clearly, so I definitely don't want to move backwards and get an exhaust which would be even more noise to cover up

But that's just me, different people want different things out of their jeeps

Reactions: Allstar424
I've been happy with my Banks Monster exhaust, still holding up good after 4 or 5 years now. No droning in the cab which was one of my criteria when I was looking.

I've been happy with my Banks Monster exhaust, still holding up good after 4 or 5 years now. No droning in the cab which was one of my criteria when I was looking.

I don't know how that happened because the banks "drone monster" didn't make it a week on my LJ before I yanked it out.

Reactions: Allstar424