What's better in snow and ice? 33x12.5 mud terrain vs 31x10.50 all terrain

dedoom

Supporting Member
I’m looking to order some chains tonight for our New Years trip to Big Bear/Arrowhead. I have a set of 33x12.50 Toyo Open Country MTs and set of 31x10.5 Falken WildPeak AT3Ws. I understand the ATs will perform better in snow but I do want to hit a couple trails in the snow leaning me towards the 33s. Which set should I invest in chains for?

31 X 10.50 plus chains will do anything you will need.
Be sure to check for clearance all around the installed chains and keep them tight, also use your head
with speeds and chains.
Have some winter fun !

Reactions: Woodrow
My 33x10.5 KO2s are a huge improvement over the 33x12.5 MudStar MT's I took off, they don't look as impressive but I can live with that

Thank you everyone for the insight! I do want to come up through burns canyon to Big Bear and do some trails in Arrowhead such as the pinnacles and pilot rock. Not sure how deep the snow will be on the trails? Also would you guys recommend chaining all 4 or if 2 is sufficient, which ones would you chain up?

Yes. Narrow AT tires for on road use. If looking to get off road in deep snow the MT tire will perform better.
Did someone say narrow AT?

pizzacutter.JPG

Reactions: Gollywomper
Really thin! I have never had the experience of such a tire and although I believe it would really help in wet roads on the other hand I guess it would increase roll in turns...