What's the 1 or 2 things you miss from the old days?

Plumber1

Tito's, Tacos and Trails
Supporting Member
What's the 1 or 2 things you miss from the old days of off roading. Now many of you have no idea what I am talking about. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

For me engines that were simpler to work on
31" Armstrong Tru-Track tires were considered large :eek:
Less Red Tape and trails and camping were open and you did not have to check before going to confirm trails were open in the summer 🤔
8 track players. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I don't miss CJ5 with Cow Bells hanging down and clanking all day long on the trails :rolleyes:

CO-OP mud tires that you could hear on the street from 3 miles away and my compact cell phone. :cool:
cell phone.jpg

Last edited:
I miss the people that are no longer here, especially my Dad. They were a group that didn't judge and would literally give you the shirt off their backs, if needed. Not that there aren't good people out there today, because there are. However, the overall crowd is more "look at me". Back then that was the exception, rather than the rule! :(

Last edited:
CO-OP mud tires that you could hear on the street from 3 miles away and my compact cell phone. :cool:
View attachment 312804
Had one of those high tech bag phones. Wish I'd hung onto it. Of course I used rotary phones and we had a party line and a 4 digit phone number.. Stuff I miss, the list is too long...

Most of all would be riding my CB450 or my '75 CJ5 90 miles to the Channels of the Madison River, starting the wade about 5pm in cutoffs and tennis shoes, half an hour wade minimum before dropping a fly, catching a 10 fish limit of big rainbows and browns in a couple hours, but rarely keeping more than a couple, and wading out under only moonlight, spooked by an occasional moose or whitetail, always thinking of rattlesnakes. All this without seeing another person all evening.
(Or being there with my Dad at about age 12).

Now, and for 30 years, if you can find a parking place, you wait in line to get into a decent hole (combat fishing), fish species, size, et al are regulated, folks are often rude, Eddie Bauer is around every corner and by golly you'd better not step above high-water line or some implant will run you off his property. Or you'll get run over by a driftboat. I haven't dipped a toe in any of the rivers I fished as a young guy for 35 years.
"Once you call it Paradise, kiss it goodbye" - The Eagles.

Hey, no sour grapes, life goes on. I often think of how lucky I was to have lived it.

..and I still have a secret brookie creek I visit annually for a couple weeks - it's only accessible by canoe or fishing kayak, not on foot - it's too willowed with potholes everywhere. We catch 15" brookies (17" is my record there) all day long , I'm talking ALL day long (Jack Nicholson - Goin' South), I've never seen another human in there, no bait cans, beer cans, cig butts or even a human footprint. Double digit beaver dams, moose, bear & ice cold clear water out of the wilderness and too deep to see the bottom. Yes, I practice Catch & Eat. Limit is 20/day but we keep only enough to feed however many family members happen to be in camp. I'm just getting my young grandsons in there the past couple years.. and they are DIGGIN' it!
(Absence of blue sky is due to smoke from the endless fires in the West for 5 years running.)

Off-roading in the CJ5 in Montana in the 60s & 70s.. now that's another novel.:p

Next question...This thread is worthless without pics

KIMG0217.JPG

PXL_20210719_165107725.jpg

PXL_20210719_185746750.jpg

Last edited:
I miss the people that are no longer here. They were a group that didn't judge and would literally give you the shirt off their backs, if needed. Not that there aren't good people out there today, because there are. However, the overall crowd is more "look at me". Back then that was the exception, rather than the rule! :(
So true and sad!

What's the 1 or 2 things you miss from the old days of off roading. Now many of you have no idea what I am talking about. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

For me engines that were simpler to work on
31" Armstrong Tru-Track tires were considered large :eek:
Less Red Tape and trails and camping were open and you did not have to check before going to confirm trails were open in the summer 🤔
8 track players. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I don't miss CJ5 with Cow Bells hanging down and clanking all day long on the trails :rolleyes:
1967 $10.00 Automatic Transmission seal 2 hour repair at Sonny's Gas station in Miami. I used blow my Turbomatic transmission seal drag racing at least once a month. When not drag racing we would hit the dunes in Dania Beach. No problem as long as you kept
going forward.

Reactions: NOTNSUV
I wish I could have lived some of the days yall are talking about.... I feel like it would have suited me better than todays culture.

but in the words of Gandalf - that's not for them to decide, all we have to do decide what to do with the time that is given us.
Nah, I constantly feared being Drafted and worked 60 hours per week @ $1.25 hr. Miami rent was $35.00 per week and all my friends were hippy-beach bums.

The whine of a SM420 on a cold morning creeping down Hite’s Cove Road trying not to spill my coffee as I work the switchbacks on opening day of trout fishing…also the 70’s😉
The sound of an SM420 being downshifted from 3rd to 2nd on a steep hill under a heavy load. What a glorious sound!

Reactions: DrDmoney
Had one of those high tech bag phones. Wish I'd hung onto it. Of course I used rotary phones and we had a party line and a 4 digit phone number..
I had a Panasonic bag phone for 18 years. Used it right up until they turned off the old analog phone service in about 2007. Literally went out to the car one morning and it no longer worked (I had purchased my first flip about 1 week before). Loved that phone - nice big buttons, real handset, and no battery worries! I wish someone made a version that works on modern networks.

Nah, I constantly feared being Drafted and worked 60 hours per week @ $1.25 hr. Miami rent was $35.00 per week and all my friends were hippy-beach bums.
Yup, $1.25/hr. minimum wage. I was throwing chain on an oil rig in Gillette, WY for $3.50 an hour at age 17, 1969, in the dead of winter. Many of the guys in the field were just home from Nam. Found out what a punk I was in a hurry.🤐