What's the 1 or 2 things you miss from the old days?

I had a Panasonic bag phone for 18 years. Used it right up until they turned off the old analog phone service in about 2007. Literally went out to the car one morning and it no longer worked (I had purchased my first flip about 1 week before). Loved that phone - nice big buttons, real handset, and no battery worries! I wish someone made a version that works on modern networks.
Had the same phone, even had bluetooth...but only after drinking a blue raspberry Slurpee.

What's the 1 or 2 things you miss from the old days of off roading. Now many of you have no idea what I am talking about. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

For me engines that were simpler to work on
31" Armstrong Tru-Track tires were considered large :eek:
Less Red Tape and trails and camping were open and you did not have to check before going to confirm trails were open in the summer 🤔
8 track players. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I don't miss CJ5 with Cow Bells hanging down and clanking all day long on the trails :rolleyes:
I miss the unplanned, go out off-roading in whatever you're driving mentality. I used to two track my two door Chevy lumina (euro-sport, no less) all over the UP. The snowmobile tracks are public use land all summer. We used to pretend we were World Rally Cup drivers and just BOMB the trails in our sensible sedans and coupes.

I also really miss my Dad's old Dune buggy. It was a legit Meyer Manx and we would drive it all over northern Michigan on old logging roads and two tracks through the national forests. Nobody cared about "their" land and it was all in fun.

After writing this all down..The jeep thing isn't for me...I need a pre-runner, LOL

Maybe with world events like they are you'll get to experience them again soon.:(
Baling wire, duct tape and a crescent wrench.. git'er done.

I have a series of leather bound 1st edition 'engineering' books copyright 1902 that my grandfather used in the '30s to further his education and dreams. He died young without fulfillment but I think with these books and a slide-rule, things could be put back together (along with a copy of The Joy of Cooking - Irma Bombeck). Everything from mining basics, automotive from the earliest days (magnetos, etc.), rigging, construction, motors and electrical, mathematics, and on and on.

Have given them to my SIL who has an engineering mind. Hope they're never needed. Holy off-topic batman.

Reactions: DrDmoney
After writing this all down..The jeep thing isn't for me...I need a pre-runner, LOL
No kidding. I love hauling ass on long dirt roads out here on BLM land in the XJ (more blasphemy). Rides a lot like a Caddy with CAD, etc. and still gets it done on the trail. I can hear my companions on the radio, "Somebody's in a hurry".

Reactions: Mike_H
I just came some old Photos, #1 and #3 are from The Deer Valley Trail in Northern CA in my 1980 Toyota P/U boy do I miss that thing. #2 is the same P/U with my camper that I split 1/2 with my brother as he also had a Toyota P/U we bought it used for $1,000.00. We would take it to the trail then off load it and wheel all day nd them come back to camp, ah the life. The last one is when my son was about 6 years old in the back of a friends jeep up near Truckee, We had to pry him out of the jeep he thought being out w/o a top and doors was the best thing in life. He is now 40 still loves to jeep.

I sure miss the simple things along with Thank You and Your Welcome
IMG_9870.jpg
IMG_9871.jpg
IMG_9869.jpg
IMG_9872.jpg

Last edited:
I just came some old Photos, #1 and #3 are from The Deer Valley Trail in Northern CA in my 1980 Toyota P/U boy do I miss that thing. #2 is the same P/U with my camper that I split 1/2 with my brother as he also had a Toyota P/U we bought it used for $1,000.00. We would take it to the trail then off load it and wheel all day nd them come back to camp, ah the life. The last one is when my son was about 6 years old in the back of a friends jeep up near Truckee, We had to pry him out of the jeep he thought being out w/o a top and doors was the best thing in life. He is now 40 still loves to jeep.

View attachment 312883View attachment 312881View attachment 312882View attachment 312880
No photos but my first "wheelin" was in a 2WD '46 Chevy Panel (216cid IIRC) in the late 50s hauling butt through the sagebrush in Montana trying to get close enough to antelope for a shot. We'd chain it up for elk season and they'd put it in some amazing places. Those combat Vets from WWII didn't give a SHIT!

Great memories for your 'kid'.

View attachment 312883View attachment 312881View attachment 312882View attachment 312880
Good times, over three marriages I lost all my old photographs

• Haha
Reactions: Plumber1
A place where kids played outside, didn't need anything but their imagination to have fun, and knew to be home by dark.
A time when people use to respect others (especially their elders) and followed the "Golden Rule".

That was the worst...You get yelled at by the neighbor lady...then when dad got home, you got yelled at again!
Dad? Not around my house. Mom took care of business on the spot. I don't remember her once threatening, "Wait 'til your Dad gets home".. Had a neighbor buddy whose mom said that countless times a day. Let's just say our lives turned out 180*.

Dad? Not around my house. Mom took care of business on the spot. I don't remember her once threatening, "Wait 'til your Dad gets home".. Had a neighbor buddy whose mom said that countless times a day. Let's just say our lives turned out 180*.
Oh...my mom was a disciplinarian too. If I got the "wait until" line...I was REALLY in for it. I remember laughing at her once when her brand new wooden spoon broke after a swat to the ass. That was a mistake I never made again...

Oh...my mom was a disciplinarian too. If I got the "wait until" line...I was REALLY in for it. I remember laughing at her once when her brand new wooden spoon broke after a swat to the ass. That was a mistake I never made again...
My troublemaker big sister put me up to this one..
Mom was admonishing me severely for something or another and went so far to tell me how stupid I was.
My response was, "Do you think that's due to heredity or environment?". That was the only time she ever laid a hand on me, and boy did she!