What's the advantage of synthetic winch line vs steel cable?

Improved safety, less weight and ease of use are all good reasons to make the switch but the Aussie sun is my problem with synthetic rope, I'm still concerned UV rays will break down synthetic rope within a few short years and I'll need to keep replacing something that's not getting that much use.

winch cover.

this was quite entertaining :)

each has benefits, I use cable because it is what came on it. I've owned the jeep for a year now and only had to winch twice so no plans to replace it, if I did it would probably be synthetic.

I think common sense has a bigger part in winch safety than steel vs. synthetic :)

I think common sense has a bigger part in winch safety than steel vs. synthetic :)
And that right there folks is why most should be running synthetic. Folks buy a winch and it is bumper jewelry for years until the one or two times they really need it. That all of that knowledge, practice, and common sense rules of recovery they didn't do, bother to learn, and don't have, all work well to really get someone hurt or dead.

Reactions: qslim
I just re-read this thread just in case there is something new that hasn't already been mentioned in the many steel vs. synthetic winch line threads that litter the offroading forums.

There isn't.

Here is my reasoning for preferring synthetic for my next winch line purchase: I'm old. Steel cable is heavy. Pulling steel cable is more work than throwing synthetic. The end.

And that right there folks is why most should be running synthetic. Folks buy a winch and it is bumper jewelry for years until the one or two times they really need it. That all of that knowledge, practice, and common sense rules of recovery they didn't do, bother to learn, and don't have, all work well to really get someone hurt or dead.

It may have been mentioned here earlier, but I always liked your example two guys choosing between equal lengths of steel cable or synthetic rope and beating each other with their selection.

Reactions: StG58

Summed up nicely and described my situation perfectly. The winch that was already installed on my Jeep has steel cable, but I put it on the list to change out. I've never been in a situation where I needed to use it, am not proficient by any means at recovery, so synthetic sounds like a more sound choice.

And now that you mention it the old boat dock back in Fl had several lengths of synthetic line in a perpetual state of use exposed to the sun and salt and actually held up quite well unless they caught a corner on the deck.

Summed up nicely and described my situation perfectly. The winch that was already installed on my Jeep has steel cable, but I put it on the list to change out. I've never been in a situation where I needed to use it, am not proficient by any means at recovery, so synthetic sounds like a more sound choice.

And now that you mention it the old boat dock back in Fl had several lengths of synthetic line in a perpetual state of use exposed to the sun and salt and actually held up quite well unless they caught a corner on the deck.
The use of synthetic for our winches came right out of the marine industry in the PNW. All the big heavy haul lines for the gigantic purse nets, tug boat winches, and large mooring lines are synthetic and in the sun, and in salt water, and and and.

Here is my reasoning for preferring synthetic for my next winch line purchase: I'm old. Steel cable is heavy. Pulling steel cable is more work than throwing synthetic. The end.
That's great. :ROFLMAO:

You are probably the only person on the face of this planet that can twist your preferences for something around to slam a product as not safer when the whole rest of the world clearly understands it to be absolutely more safe. That and we have a few more years to go before we reach 100's since steel cable was invented in 1830ish.

That is one advantage. You clearly don't want to admit the bigger ones and those are strength and weight. The average synthetic line for this type of use is twice as strong as steel. That simply should not be ignored or dismissed.

Do you actually know of any winch line issues that have been caused by exposure to UV? I'm in the sun with mine, it has never been covered, it has never failed, and I've never had a problem in the last 20 years of using synthetic.

This is your typical drive-by commenting again. You drop these little nuggets of bullshit and then run away when directly addressed by someone. You leave them there to stink up the place like your snake oil comments about brakes and when clearly refuted, you don't come back and take your medicine. We went through this before. There are many industries where synthetic is the higher strength choice where UV is prevalent and it has nothing to do with consumers. Practically the entire US marine towing industry uses synthetic for all the same reasons we do. That is not an insignificant industry and in fact is the one directly responsible for the carry over use into recovery winches that we enjoy.

If string is superior to wire, why hasn't the logging industry embraced it ? We use multiple winches . . . guy lines, mainline, haul-back, strawlines, tag lines etc.
Your slamming of another member says a whole lot about you . . . . :(

If string is superior to wire, why hasn't the logging industry embraced it ? We use multiple winches . . . guy lines, mainline, haul-back, strawlines, tag lines etc.

Are we being asked to make a case for why the logging industry should use synthetic rope? Do you know that it isn't being embraced? A quick Google search suggests that there is quite a bit of research and interest as well as actual use of rope in the global timber industry for all the usual reasons.

Your slamming of another member says a whole lot about you . . . . :(
When someone dismisses 20 years of research, development, 100's of thousands of dollars spent, and more time learning about something that should be legal as nothing more than "snake oil", there's a problem. Not sure what the problem is but at some point, that's bullshit and I don't tolerate that well. You can always ignore me if your feelings are tender.

Are we being asked to make a case for why the logging industry should use synthetic rope? Do you know that it isn't being embraced? A quick Google search suggests that there is quite a bit of research and interest as well as actual use of rope in the global timber industry for all the usual reasons.
What fucking difference does it make? We aren't in the logging industry, we aren't in the large scale fishing industry, we are NOT floating around in some harbor somewhere dragging container ships around, we aren't using hoists, we are using winches for recovery of our Jeeps. In that "industry" synthetic has many advantages over wire rope and since we are on a god damn Jeep board discussing Jeeps and the recovery thereof, what the rest of the world does or doesn't need or do should be of little consequence or affect the applicability in the least.

The first time I saw a synthetic winch line on a Jeep, I thought "how cute". But then I'm used to the marine uses of synthetic lines. A lot of that stuff is bigger around than my arm. Survives just fine in harsh enviroments...for years.

When you get to something that most closely resembles what we do with our winches in that environment, look at what the sail boats use for running rigging. It's all synthetic of various flavors. Specifically tailored to the usage. Right down to how much slip or grip the line has on the winch drum. Properly engineered synthetic is the way to go, in my humble opinion.

It's too bad the marine winch makers don't make Jeep winches. Something like a three speed Barlow on the front bumper would be to cool for school. Fast line speeds for when you want it and massive power when you need it.

Reactions: mrblaine
What fucking difference does it make? We aren't in the logging industry, we aren't in the large scale fishing industry, we are NOT floating around in some harbor somewhere dragging container ships around, we aren't using hoists, we are using winches for recovery of our Jeeps. In that "industry" synthetic has many advantages over wire rope and since we are on a god damn Jeep board discussing Jeeps and the recovery thereof, what the rest of the world does or doesn't need or do should be of little consequence or affect the applicability in the least.

Tell us what you really think.

• Haha
Reactions: Alex01
The point is - synthetic (line) rope offers a greater range of options to engineer it to meet a specific application than steel (line) rope. Use the correct synthetic rope for winching Jeeps.

Reactions: Head Lice
It's too bad the marine winch makers don't make Jeep winches. Something like a three speed Barlow on the front bumper would be to cool for school. Fast line speeds for when you want it and massive power when you need it.
The technology is there to make outstanding winches for us. The only problem to solve is an additional hydraulic pump and where to do that. If I were the winch master on some hill tasked with dragging rig after rig up a steep muddy hill, I'd certainly have a hydraulic version with a 2 stage pump and enough horsepower to make it work. High when you need it, lots of low end grunt when the load comes up.

It is unfortunate that the Jeep versions are so under designed and engineered. There does exist a need for them.