Whats the best OEM radio I can put in my 2004 TJ?

OculusDexter

Hello,

After looking through the forums I know some similar questions have been asked, but specifically I'd like to know what the best OEM radio is that will fit in my '04 Jeep.
Currently my stock radio is the RBK unit, with the 22 pin connector on the back (as well as disc changer port and antenna port obviously). Recently the speakers have stopped working on the passenger side, and I have confirmed that the radio itself is the problem.

I know its probably foolish, but what I would like to do is check a salvage yard for Jeeps and other Chrysler vehicles and find a new radio. I figure while I'm at it, if possible I'd like to upgrade to a model that may perform better or give me more options. I have stumbled upon the Allpar website that shows a decent history of Chrysler radios, and it seems the RBU unit may be superior in audio quality. I briefly checked a salvage yard and I couldn't find an RBU, but there were tons of other models in all kinds of Chrysler vehicles.

How can I be sure that the new radio will work with my '04 TJ? I assume that not all 22pin style units will work properly.

Thanks!

Check out these two sites for a stock head unit. LKQ has a good return policy, I had to use it on a bad shifter I received. Car-part.com is the second link below. Good choices over there.

https://www.lkqonline.com/Jeep-Wrangler
Screenshot_20201011-200623.jpg

https://www.car-part.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi
Screenshot_20201011-200259.jpgScreenshot_20201011-200313.jpg

Thanks for the help! Trying to keep costs below the 1factoryradio options, but will consider.

After looking through most the listings on LKQ and car-part links, it looks like the compatible radios are the RBK, RBB and RAZ. Thats the info I was looking for, thank you!

Thanks for the help! Trying to keep costs below the 1factoryradio options, but will consider.

After looking through most the listings on LKQ and car-part links, it looks like the compatible radios are the RBK, RBB and RAZ. Thats the info I was looking for, thank you!
Don't forget the very clean looking RB1. And consider ebay when you're shopping for the factory radios. Lot of them out there.

C4C7C14D-98C7-457D-BC32-2395A57898CC.jpeg
3E3D6821-2BE8-4DF1-8A33-0EACBD43F5FA.jpeg

Best OEM radio :LOL:

Sorry, I couldn't help but laugh when I read that. I really don't understand why some people need to have the OEM radio, you're seriously holding yourself back from a potentially amazing sound system.

In the case that you're after an OEM look, @psrivats has a nice head unit that looks OEM.

Sorry, I couldn't help but laugh when I read that. I really don't understand why some people need to have the OEM radio, you're seriously holding yourself back from a potentially amazing sound system.

In the case that you're after an OEM look, @psrivats has a nice head unit that looks OEM.
I like the new avatar pic. (y)

Reactions: Chris
That's an oxymoron, like" honest politician".🤭
Not too many good looking aftermarket radios out there on the shelfs. By good looking I mean that the radio compliments the interior, not stick out and look similar to a Hasbro Transformer in the dash.

Some people have to have the bells and whistles, I get that. Unfortunately they usually get a radio that looks incredibly cheap, is around $100 or less, and does not “fit,” the interior.

Did anyone ever figure out if the bright orange lights could be changed to something that is similiar to the stock cluster lights or factory radio lights?

The orange lights on the radio are atrocious.

Not too many good looking aftermarket radios out there on the shelfs. By good looking I mean that the radio compliments the interior, not stick out and look similar to a Hasbro Transformer in the dash.
You apparently don't have the internet yet. The options are limitless. Although Crutchfield is the only place to shop stereo equipment.

Some people have to have the bells and whistles, I get that. Unfortunately they usually get a radio that looks incredibly cheap, is around $100 or less, and does not “fit,” the interior.

Yeah, same here, simple is better. I just stick with Kenwood Excelon single DINs and upgrade every 3-4 years when better bluetooth technology comes out. I just program the color to red like the exterior of the jeep and all looks good. It now matches the color from my newly installed Dorman hear seaters, which by the way, are f'n awesome!

You apparently don't have the internet yet. The options are limitless. Although Crutchfield is the only place to shop stereo equipment.

Crutchfield is great, and a great resource as well, but don't short Google, after looking through Crutchfield. I have become a big fan of Sonic who are based in Kentucky. They have overlapping products but different as well.

https://www.sonicelectronix.com/

Did anyone ever figure out if the bright orange lights could be changed to something that is similiar to the stock cluster lights or factory radio lights?

The orange lights on the radio are atrocious.

I'm not sure, but you're right. That's one of the reasons I like my Kenwood head unit, they make it very easy to change the lights to whatever color you want.

Is Biden going to make me learn Spanish too?🙃 I'm now waiting for the dead to walk the earth. Oh, he is now.

:LOL:

Best as in best of the bottom of the barrel. I ended up finding a working unit for <20$ at junk yard. I understand audio quality could be better, but I'm not an audiophile by any means. Plus audio quality is like wine - most of it is subjective BS anyway.

Best as in best of the bottom of the barrel. I ended up finding a working unit for <20$ at junk yard. I understand audio quality could be better, but I'm not an audiophile by any means. Plus audio quality is like wine - most of it is subjective BS anyway.

Gotcha (y)