What's the difference between a CARB vs. NON CARB compliant cat system?

ARJEEP2006

What's the difference between a CARB vs. NON CARB compliant catalytic converter system? I have an 06 X with 4.0.
I'm considering replacing my cat system with Magaflow system. There are two offerings, part number 93649(non-carb compliant) and 458027 (carb compliant). Does the jeep ECM know if you are using a carb vs. non-carb system? If you live outside of CA does it matter which one you get?

Reactions: Chris
What's the difference between a CARB vs. NON CARB compliant catalytic converter system? I have an 06 X with 4.0.
I'm considering replacing my cat system with Magaflow system. There are two offerings, part number 93649(non-carb compliant) and 458027 (carb compliant). Does the jeep ECM know if you are using a carb vs. non-carb system? If you live outside of CA does it matter which one you get?

The ECM doesn't know, but emission tests will I believe.

If you're in California and have to go through emissions, you need a CARB compliant catalytic converter. If you're not in California, it doesn't really matter which one you get.

Reactions: ARJEEP2006
The ECM doesn't know, but emission tests will I believe.

If you're in California and have to go through emissions, you need a CARB compliant catalytic converter. If you're not in California, it doesn't really matter which one you get.
Sweet Chris...I'm not in CA. I'm hoping the new o2 sensor I've ordered from rockauto will take care of my problem but if not more than likely a new cat system will be required based on what I've read so far. My jeep is still producing good power but it has over 84k miles and is badly rusted (I'm the third owner and it would never look like this if I had it since new).

If it's badly rusted, then yes, you may very well need new cats. Hopefully the O2 sensor ends up being the solution though!

Chris...I was really needing to know if the O2 sensors are the same no matter what type (carb vs. non-carb) exhaust?

thanks for the feedback.

O2 sensors are indeed the same.

2005-2006
NGK #23018 - Bank 1, Sensor 1 (Upstream)
NGK #23160 - Bank 2, Sensor 1 (Upstream)
NGK #23159 - Bank 1, Sensor 2 (Downstream)
NGK #23158 - Bank 2, Sensor 2 (Downstream)

Reactions: ARJEEP2006