What's your security philosophy?

Moab

TJ Expert
Supporting Member
Not sure I want anything security related in my Jeep...

I have a metal security glove box and a metal security tailgate enclosure (put in by the PO). Like this one https://www.morris4x4center.com/tuffy-security-tailgate-enclosure-black-296-01.html But less space inside. Not sure what brand it is.

And I'm not sure I want to keep either.

I leave my doors unlocked as it's a soft top. SO my soft top won't get slashed trying to get inside. I live in Los Angeles. Not a bad neighborhood. But break ins happen quite frequently. And the bad neighborhoods are never far away.

But I really don't think this metal glove box is going to keep anyone with a small crowbar from getting into it. It looks like sh*t. And I'm seriously considering just swapping it out for an OG glovebox that matches the rest of the dash. And keeping it unlocked. If someone did take a crowbar to the metal security glove box. It would ruin other parts of the dash on top of the box itself. For sure. Probably even the underlying metal supports. And that would be wonderful trying to replace that. ;)

I'm also about to redo the entire tub in sound deadening material and new carpet. And this would be the perfect time to ditch the behind the back seat/in front of the tailgate box. It honestly doesn't add that much room. And the tailgate key has already had an attempt on it. Someone tried to punch it. And now the lock is dented in and not centered. Still works. But you can see how easy it would be to just pull that lock with a dent puller or something. And get inside. So if someone with tools wanted in they would get in. Versus just leaving it unlocked so they could open it and see the two quarts of oil and some old rags they could steal.

I'm just wondering if any of these is worth keeping? My console used to lock. Until someone obviously took a tool to it and broke it open. So I'll never leave anything locked again. And just not keep anything in the Jeep. Even my stereo has a faceplate.

I guess I don't see the value of any of these locked enclosures in a soft top. Am I wrong? Is there something I'm missing? It just seems like your inviting more damage by locking anything up in a Jeep.

(PS - About the only lock box I would consider is one I already own. That I've used for years. It's an under the seat type for a pistol and maybe one or two mags. Not for permanent storage of course. Only say to a hiking or hunting trail. And then it would not be left in there unattended for any amount of time. But even then I'm sceptical. I have an aftermarket one with a fairly sophisticated locking mechanism that locks it to the floor. And it's small and can be placed deep under the seat.

It's also 5 button. So you can get into it fast. But those are probably easily defeated too. Although it would be bolted to the tub. And difficult to get to way up under the metal seat brackets. But with the folding seat brackets probably not that hard to get to the lock anyway. It would be bolted under the metal box with serious .25 to .5 bolts. If nothing was in it I'd probably prop it open. So anyone could see nothing was in it. And the only real purpose is to avoid illegal carry of a firearm in a vehicle. Here in CA it's illegal to carry a firearm in a vehicle unless it's unloaded and locked up. It's not like we have a trunk. That's about the only reason I can see to have a lock box in a Jeep. And it's really just for transport.)

My security philosophy is good insurance, always leaving my TJ unlocked, and always keeping it parked in the garage when not in use.

I never leave anything of value in my TJ whatsoever, so there's nothing worth stealing.

In addition, I never, ever, ever park it anywhere but the garage at night, and if I'm taking it somewhere on vacation, I won't bring it unless they have a garage for me to park it in (i.e. an Air BnB). I'm pretty anal about that I guess.

I always leave the glovebox and center console unlocked when the top and doors are off, and even when the full doors are on with the hardtop, I still leave them unlocked. I have nothing to hide, so I figure if someone really wants to go through it, then can open the door, look in it, and realize there is nothing in there to steal.

My biggest fear would be someone stealing the entire vehicle, but in that case, this is why I have good insurance.

My philosophy is that “locks keep honest people honest”. Anyone that wants in bad enough will get in and as you mentioned likely cause damage that will be more expensive than the stolen items value.

I have the underseat lockbox from Bestop and switched out the keyed lock for a combo lock. I only use it for small items that need to be secured while out and about and it works great for that.

Reactions: Chris
My security philosophy is good insurance and keeping it in the garage.

I never leave anything of value in my TJ whatsoever, so there's nothing worth stealing.

In addition, I never, ever, ever park it anywhere but the garage at night, and if I'm taking it somewhere on vacation, I won't bring it unless they have a garage for me to park it in (i.e. an Air BnB). I'm pretty anal about that I guess.

I always leave the glovebox and center console unlocked when the top and doors are off, and even when the full doors are on with the hardtop, I still leave them unlocked. I have nothing to hide, so I figure if someone really wants to go through it, then can open the door, look in it, and realize there is nothing in there to steal.

My biggest fear would be someone stealing the entire vehicle, but in that case, this is why I have good insurance.

I don't have a garage as of yet that I can park in. As I'm reorganising shop and storage. And my wife has to park in the driveway in front of it. So that's problematic. I used to have a garage I could park in at our last house. I kept my '67 VW that was cherry in there no matter what. As much for theft as sun and weather damage.

I guess after leaving everything unlocked in my Jeep. theft is the only other major concern I have too. I want to put in a hidden battery kill switch at some point. Not that my Jeep is so nice all the thieves would be after it. lol. But there are plenty of joy riding teenagers around here. A cut off switch might hold them back from taking it for a ride.

If you have a good strategy for hiding a kill switch. Please pm me. I'm at a loss as to where to mount that. Out of the way. But thats still easy to get to. Without letting everyone watching know you just opened the hood and killed something- for example. I sometimes have to end up parking my car in not such nice places here in LA. From time to time. And an inconspicuous kill switch that I could reach from inside the vehicle but that was hidden would be great. Maybe even use my existing - but non used - switches for the hard top it originally came with but is gone now? I could do that. I doubt anyone would think you'd have to switch the non existent year wiper blades to get the Jeep started. Maybe I'll do that. Hidden in plain sight. Maybe.

Reactions: Chris
I want one of those flame thrower/ remote detonate alarm systems. I’m sick of the crooks that seem to be watching for easy pickings (soft top, or no top) I got a great deal on some ammo cans and then made the mistake of stopping at a pet supply store. I wasn’t in there 10 minutes and came out to no ammo cans, open glove box, open tailgate, and no sunglasses or even the charging cord for my phone. Bastards! It would be a shame to lose a limb or two over a pair of cheap sunglasses, but if that’s what it takes for somebody to learn a life lesson, I’ll accommodate them. They probably got a good laugh when I came out and found all that.
In my mind I can hear the sharp ringing sound of an aluminum baseball bat, and the ensuing ass chewing that goes with it.

I live in a small town, and out in the country with a garage, so I don't worry about it at all. I'm moving to a bigger city, so this will be on my horizon, but I plan on keeping it garaged and keeping anything of value not in the Jeep. Of course, then there's the Jeep itself. There's a great write-up on here somewhere for a kill switch. That might be helpful.

Reactions: KCsTJ
Reactions: KCsTJ and Chris
I don't have a garage as of yet that I can park in. As I'm reorganising shop and storage. And my wife has to park in the driveway in front of it. So that's problematic. I used to have a garage I could park in at our last house. I kept my '67 VW that was cherry in there no matter what. As much for theft as sun and weather damage.

I guess after leaving everything unlocked in my Jeep. theft is the only other major concern I have too. I want to put in a hidden battery kill switch at some point. Not that my Jeep is so nice all the thieves would be after it. lol. But there are plenty of joy riding teenagers around here. A cut off switch might hold them back from taking it for a ride.

If you have a good strategy for hiding a kill switch. Please pm me. I'm at a loss as to where to mount that. Out of the way. But thats still easy to get to. Without letting everyone watching know you just opened the hood and killed something- for example. I sometimes have to end up parking my car in not such nice places here in LA. From time to time. And an inconspicuous kill switch that I could reach from inside the vehicle but that was hidden would be great. Maybe even use my existing - but non used - switches for the hard top it originally came with but is gone now? I could do that. I doubt anyone would think you'd have to switch the non existent year wiper blades to get the Jeep started. Maybe I'll do that. Hidden in plain sight. Maybe.

My thought is that if anyone wants to steal something bad enough, they will find a way. This is why I always stress having a good insurance policy (both auto and home owners).

As far as a kill switch goes, it's never something I've considered to be honest, but I suppose it wouldn't hurt. If I was going to put a kill switch somewhere, it would be underneath the drivers side lower dash panel, above the OBDII scan port. I would stuff it up there way out of sight so that you'd really have to know something was up there to begin with.

This is also a good one as well:
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/setting-up-a-kill-switch-hidden-in-plain-sight.4230/

Just take a picture of the right combo on your phone so that incase you forget ;) Hell, maybe add a 4th switch to make even more possibilities!

I have the soft top with hard doors and considered adding some stickers that say "NOT LOCKED" because in addition to hearing of various convertible tops being sliced open, a friend of mine's father had his top sliced open when his car wasn't even locked. I'm not sure if the stickers would help, maybe they can't read.

I originally thought about getting the security type boxes but when the thief can't get into those he might slice the top out of frustration.

I want one of those flame thrower/ remote detonate alarm systems. I’m sick of the crooks that seem to be watching for easy pickings (soft top, or no top) I got a great deal on some ammo cans and then made the mistake of stopping at a pet supply store. I wasn’t in there 10 minutes and came out to no ammo cans, open glove box, open tailgate, and no sunglasses or even the charging cord for my phone. Bastards! It would be a shame to lose a limb or two over a pair of cheap sunglasses, but if that’s what it takes for somebody to learn a life lesson, I’ll accommodate them. They probably got a good laugh when I came out and found all that.
In my mind I can hear the sharp ringing sound of an aluminum baseball bat, and the ensuing ass chewing that goes with it.

But then you go to jail for beating someone for a pair of sunglasses. Don't get me wrong. I've had those thoughts too. I just had someone pull a weapon on me over a traffic issue a few months back. I stupidly got in the guys face. And normally would have gone toe to toe. But I was close to a bad neighborhood and it hit me at 55 that I have better things to do with my life. Than end up in jail and get mired thru a court case and civil case. But it also made me want to move back to a place where concealed carry was allowed. LA is one bad news event away from being a powder keg. I used to always feel safe here. Not anymore. Maybe it's age. Maybe people have gotten worse. I dont' know. I just know I can't wait to move back to the PNW mountains. And leave all this crap behind.

One thing about your scenario that might be worth considering though. That goes against my original post. Is maybe if I kept the rear tailgate box. I could use it for those instances where your going in someplace and there isn't time to break into the tailgate. Or you can park so close to the business that breaking in wouldn't be advantageous.

That's not a bad philosophy. Certainly an argument for keeping the tailgate box. Just temporary storage while your in Wallyworld or something. But I think if it gets in the way of installing sound deadener and carpet. I'm going to pull it. I'll just start carrying a backpack and taking it in with me. It's such a pain though. Half the time I don't even bring my stereo faceplate. As I don't want to hassle carrying it around in my pants pocket.

Thanks for the kill switch links guys. Something I will definitely look into. I was just looking at my hard top switches for the back window of the hardtop it originally came with last night. Wondering hmmmm....I wonder what I could do with those. And your right maybe even a combo would be cool. Like one has to be on and the other off or something. I forget if it's two or three switches that are abandoned because of the non existant hard top.

I always thought I would put a hard top on this Jeep once I moved to the PNW. But I like having the top off to much to hassle with a hard top. I think a hard top is one of those things you keep half the year and take off half the year. Pulling regularly is just not an option that seems feasible to me. Unless the cold or rain leaks get to me. But that heater is so boss. I can't imagine ever getting cold.

I'm with most people here in that I just don't keep anything worth stealing in my Jeep in the first place.

I also have kept my stock stereo and don't intend to replace it with anything 3rd party since I've had those stolen in previous vehicles. I have yet to find a good kit to mod in an aux jack to the stereo since the ones I've seen on Amazon don't seem compatible with my '06. Quadratec sells one, but at a price of $90, I'd just get one of the factory stereos from 1factoryradio.com that has the aux jack built in and replace the whole unit.

A kill switch is on my to-do list, but my Jeep mostly travels from my garage at home to the parking garage of my work, which is well monitored unless I'm taking it out on a weekend adventure somewhere offroad, which means it's not really at a high risk of being stolen. Still, I'll feel more comfortable when this is done.

Finally, I'm planning on taking a welding class next year (a nice perk of being married to someone who works at a tech college is discounted tuition) and I'm planning on welding a metal cover over the install bolts of my winch to prevent that from being stolen.

*P.S.* As a quick PSA to anyone unaware of this, if you want to make sure you're well insured for stuff being stolen out of your Jeep (and not just the Jeep itself), check your Homeowner's or Renter's policy coverage/deductibles since external property generally falls under these policies, even if it's not located at your home when it's stolen.

Yeah I know, and agree, but even with concealed carry you have to realize you’re probably outgunned before you got there. I didn’t miraculously make it this far to get taken out by a thug pos. I’m grateful for every day I wake up, but man somethings gotta stop

Reactions: lowranger
Unfortunately in This country, the law protects The criminals.

Reactions: Fixer6 and DuncLJ
I, like others, simply leave nothing of value inside. I have a Tuffy underseat box for my 9mm, but that comes with me when I exit the vehicle. I leave it unlocked, and for 8 months out of the year, it has tube doors and a bikini top.
I also have good insurance.

Reactions: Equilibrium31
With a hard top I don't worry quite so much, I just keep it all locked. Otherwise it's a different story of course...

My security philosophy is to have a lock-box, preferably a discrete one like the under-seat one. Primarily though, don't leave anything in the Jeep you aren't willing to lose. I may leave a gun in the under-seat lock box (if I have to go somewhere I can't take it legally), but I have pictures of it and it's serial number just in case.

Insurance is of course important, people do mention leaving it unlocked. I will say if you leave it unlocked and lose something DO NOT tell that to your insurance company. Tell them it was locked but you came back and the top was unzipped. If you tell them it was unlocked you'll be SOL and they'll drop it like a ton of bricks.

In any case I lock the Jeep anyway even with the soft top on. I don't want someone ripping open the top but I still feel like it's a deterrent enough. After all, it's so easy to just open the door and rifle through stuff. No one is going to see that as being suspicious. But trying to knife your way into a Jeep or unzipping it to unlock it? That attracts attention and takes time.

I, like others, simply leave nothing of value inside. I have a Tuffy underseat box for my 9mm, but that comes with me when I exit the vehicle. I leave it unlocked, and for 8 months out of the year, it has tube doors and a bikini top.
I also have good insurance.
People here know that I have...complicated views on gun control stuff, but you definitely have the right idea by taking your gun with you instead of leaving it in the car. Any innocent person having their stuff stolen is always sad, but a gun that's stolen adds a whole other layer of bad outcomes to theft.

My dad had a handgun stolen from his truck years ago and I hate to think of what's happened with that thing since. Certainly, nothing good.

Reactions: DuncLJ
Sorry @moab if I drew your thread a different direction than you intended. I have the little trunk box thing behind the back seat as well, but I keep it empty most of the time, like the rest of the Jeep. I also have a box under the seat to temporarily store a firearm when needed.
Remote claymores under the seats on proximity switches, and the drone target on top, are fakes. All my guns were lost in a single tragic boating accident some years back. All I havre now days is a wrist-rocket slingshot and rabbit pellets for ammo

I live in NYC and street park, so I'm certainly at a higher risk than most. Hard top in the winter, but soft top during the summer. I live in a very good neighborhood but was still broken into one time: the thief was kind enough to unzip my window instead of knifing it. There was nothing of value in the TJ, yet he still stole the $90 aftermarket radio. (Who still steals radios?) Homeowners insurance paid for everything and I now have a Sony with a removable face.

Otherwise, I have good insurance, sentry key, I club the wheel to the clutch pedal, and I have the best theft deterrent of all: a manual transmission :)

I also invested in a GPS tracker w/ cellular connectivity. $20 per month. I get texted if the Jeep is moved, and then I can track where it is. It's basically a poor man's Lojack, but it gives me peace of mind. Hopefully will never have to use it. But a street-parked, rust-free, low-mileage TJ in the salt belt is bound to attract the wrong person...

Last edited:
Reactions: DuncLJ
My thoughts, as a guy that grew up in urban New Jersey in the '70's: Doors ALWAYS unlocked, hardtop or no; glove box, tailgate, & console locked to keep the "snatch & grab" crowd from getting the basically "not-worth-THAT-much" stuff protected; Tuffy's BIG rear security box (Had in the last three Wranglers, forthcoming on my latest Wrangler); wheel locks on all 5 wheels; and finally converted my latest Wrangler to the factory SKIM keys & interrupt system. ALL my vehicles ALWAYS live in the garage; always HAVE, always WILL...

I know a LOT about car theft; regrettably, it's pretty easy to become a car theft EXPERT these days just by spending a few days on the Internet/youtube. Any Jamoke can learn almost ALL the proper/latest theft techniques just by staring at their computer for one day; back in The Old Days at least it used to be an Art Form...