Wheeling in the heat

RiderofRohan

Supporting Member
I'm relatively new to wheeling am working on my TJ to get it ready. (build thread below)

Since I live in Florida, is there anything I need to do to my engine/engine bay to plan for the heat?

I know that some TJs have a heat soak issue but do you think I will run into it?

I have a 2000 TJ with dual exhaust manifolds but DO NOT have the dual cat setup.

I've run into some heat soak issues while out on the trail before. If it is really hot out, I either just let the Jeep idle or pop the hood up if we are going to be stopped for a long time. This issue can be fixed by zip tying a piece of insulation around the #3 injector.

Otherwise, just be prepared for your fan to make some noise. I'm always reminded just how loud the fan on the 4.0 can be when wheeling in the heat.

I also watch my temperature gauge like a hawk since I (probably unreasonably) don't like when the needle gets to the right of 210. I usually can't run my AC for extended periods of time while stopped or run it while going 70+ mph without the needle creeping to the right of 210 just a little bit.

I bet you will be ok.

If you do start seeing issues--you can wrap the injector and rail with an insulator (actually a TSB on some models), or find a way to vent the hood (louvers).

You shouldn't have any issues down here, even for extended runs.

The heat soak issue only occurs once you have turned the Jeep off and then go to start it again. Even if the fuel does vaporize, it stops chugging after about 30 seconds to a minute. I've wrapped the injectors per the TSB and that didn't do much, then I added the DEI fuel rail and injector kit. It seemed to help, and I rarely get a heat soak issue now.

I added an auxiliary cooler for peace of mind when I had the transmission rebuilt.

Otherwise, just don't add an angry bird grill or anything that will keep the air from flowing and you will be fine.

I live in Oregon, where heat isn't an issue. However, I always defer to folks like @mrblaine and @Jerry Bransford, since those guys sometimes wheel down in JV, where it's probably hotter than hell itself.

@ac_ and others also live in Arizona, and I know from having lived there for years that it gets hot as hell also. Whether or not they have any issues, I don't know, but at least they can chime in.

Stay away from adding anything to the grille to block airflow, and also invest in a transmission cooler if you have an automatic (heat is the number one killer of automatic transmissions).

I live in Oregon, where heat isn't an issue. However, I always defer to folks like @mrblaine and @Jerry Bransford, since those guys sometimes wheel down in JV, where it's probably hotter than hell itself.

@ac_ and others also live in Arizona, and I know from having lived there for years that it gets hot as hell also. Whether or not they have any issues, I don't know, but at least they can chime in.

Stay away from adding anything to the grille to block airflow, and also invest in a transmission cooler if you have an automatic (heat is the number one killer of automatic transmissions).

Side thought, I bet my winch blocks airflow more than an angry bird grill would.

Good news boys, angry grills are back again!