When you need something done right...

freedom_in_4low

I'm a rooster illusion
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
...sometimes you gotta do it yourself.

I spent the week baking in a 105°F metal box outside a grocery store retrofitting new control panels to replace the 20 year old control system they can't get replacement boards for anymore.

The program I wrote is universal, and requires configuration using a built in LCD display and keypad because the default settings are generic and are right a bit more often than a broken clock. Out of 3 systems, I configured two myself, and let the contractor do one. I then got tied up trying to work around some site IT/networking issues so we wouldn't leave the site without any visibility to what was going on, since they get pretty nervous at the thought of losing an entire aisle of food. I left the site after a 12 hour day (which followed two 17 hour days) without going through to check his work. He's a super smart guy, but it seems he winged it instead of following the setup instructions I wrote, and his lack of familiarity led to some details missed. Now I'm 800 miles away and from the data I have access to I can tell there's almost 2 dozen settings he didn't set, or set incorrectly. About half of them are modifiable remotely and individually, but the others can only be changed remotely by writing an entire default settings table, custom made for that specific system. Since I don't have record of what settings he might have had legitimate reason to change from the original documentation, it's more risky to do that at 12:45am local time than it is to just wait until morning with my fingers crossed that my company doesn't end up footing the bill for about half their inventory of meat and poultry.

...sometimes you gotta do it yourself.

I spent the week baking in a 105°F metal box outside a grocery store retrofitting new control panels to replace the 20 year old control system they can't get replacement boards for anymore.

The program I wrote is universal, and requires configuration using a built in LCD display and keypad because the default settings are generic and are right a bit more often than a broken clock. Out of 3 systems, I configured two myself, and let the contractor do one. I then got tied up trying to work around some site IT/networking issues so we wouldn't leave the site without any visibility to what was going on, since they get pretty nervous at the thought of losing an entire aisle of food. I left the site after a 12 hour day (which followed two 17 hour days) without going through to check his work. He's a super smart guy, but it seems he winged it instead of following the setup instructions I wrote, and his lack of familiarity led to some details missed. Now I'm 800 miles away and from the data I have access to I can tell there's almost 2 dozen settings he didn't set, or set incorrectly. About half of them are modifiable remotely and individually, but the others can only be changed remotely by writing an entire default settings table, custom made for that specific system. Since I don't have record of what settings he might have had legitimate reason to change from the original documentation, it's more risky to do that at 12:45am local time than it is to just wait until morning with my fingers crossed that my company doesn't end up footing the bill for about half their inventory of meat and poultry.
Well, That sucks!

Reactions: Wildman
Well, That sucks!

It does.

The yellow ones are the ones I can see and change individually. The Defrosts per day not being set led to some cake getting warm yesterday.

I found the max defrost load last night, when I noticed some of the circuits hadn't defrosted because they were more than the default 15%, so I adjusted that to 25%.

Then I looked at logged data to see that when the electric defrost circuits were in defrost, they weren't energizing the relays, which tells me they were set to Time Off (basically they just shut off refrigeration and let the air melt the frost). That's a deeper configuration setting that isn't intended to be changed remotely, so that's the one I have to load all the defaults for.

I just pushed the update over the internet and am waiting for it to come back up. And it's taking longer than I usually expect so I'm getting nervous.

• Sad
Reactions: Wildman
I am glad all my defrost setting are a mechanical timer and 6 equally timed screw in tripper pins !;)
I do feel your pain of a remote issue possibly going on when your have limited access to the problem !
Also working with contractors can drive you nuts, you don't want to micromanage, ( especially the normally competent ones ) .
But when a issue comes up, guess who's butt is on the line to make the magic happen !!!
Hopefully things fall into place remotely , don't go too crazy! Wishing the best for you man!

I am glad all my defrost setting are a mechanical timer and 6 equally timed screw in tripper pins !;)
I do feel your pain of a remote issue possibly going on when your have limited access to the problem !
Also working with contractors can drive you nuts, you don't want to micromanage, ( especially the normally competent ones ) .
But when a issue comes up, guess who's butt is on the line to make the magic happen !!!
Hopefully things fall into place remotely , don't go too crazy! Wishing the best for you man!

You work in refrigeration?

I ended up getting it sorted out Saturday morning, after a few hours of hypertension, lol.

I'm not a big fan of installing new controller programs over the internet but it's an expectation. I've done it a lot and really only had it go bad twice... Once I had a bug that sent the whole rack into defrost at same time, and once the controller booted up without starting the communication interface, and I had to have someone on site go cycle power on it. Stressful moments. I've compared the time I wait for the device to come back online to waiting to hear from the Apollo astronauts to see whether the command module survived reentry or burned up.

Reactions: Zorba
Maintenance Supervisor for a government entity, so I have to cover every type of equipment,
sometimes this is trial by fire! I enjoyed your depiction of " have someone on site go cycle the power".
I don't know how many times someone has told me " it shouldn't / can do what it's doing " especially electronics and DDC controls.
Many times Cycling power seems to be the only way to lobotomize the system and get it back on line. It amazes me that we went to the moon and back with simple electronics and real men ! Makes me wonder if we could do it today.
After all it took many years to get the pilots oxygen system to work right on the F-22 raptor.May God have mercy on America's
future endeavors.
I am glad your programs and comm links worked out!!

Reactions: freedom_in_4low