Where can I purchase a remanufactured NV3550?

What i understand is since new venture went out of business all the "reman" parts are no longer OEM. Have heard a lot of issues with reman NV3550s. If you plan on keeping the jeep for awhile i would get a brand new ax15. If you arent set on keeping it forever i think you would be better off with a reman ax15 since atleast they could be rebuilt with parts from Aisin.

Reactions: Fonz54
What i understand is since new venture went out of business all the "reman" parts are no longer OEM. Have heard a lot of issues with reman NV3550s. If you plan on keeping the jeep for awhile i would get a brand new ax15. If you arent set on keeping it forever i think you would be better off with a reman ax15 since atleast they could be rebuilt with parts from Aisin.

X2 to this. All roads point to AX15 if you're faced with replacing the transmission.

what about "upgrading" to a 6-speed?

Once you see the price of a new NSG370 the AX15 looks better-and-better.

the nsg370 is not a practical, easy, or maybe even possible swap into a 97-04 wrangler.

You still need the bell housing adapter for a AX15 into a 97-04 TJ 4.0, right?

Just thinking about when I have to cross that bridge at some point with my 2003.

for an 05-06 swapping to an ax15 you need that special bell housing. reason being is because the nsg370 crank sensor is on the other side of the bell housing.

If you have an nv3550 and want an ax15 you can use the nv3550 bell housing.

Reactions: Chris
I did the new ax15 from advanced adapters. No regrets, is a fantastic transmission. Everything is new and tight. And the ax15 doesn't have that clutch out in neutral rattle the nv3550 has

Reactions: bromel and Fonz54
Better to replace it with the much better and far more reliable AX-15, a direct swap. The NSG 370 6-speed would be a downgrade in terms of quality and reliability.

Reactions: bromel
I did the new ax15 from advanced adapters. No regrets, is a fantastic transmission. Everything is new and tight. And the ax15 doesn't have that clutch out in neutral rattle the nv3550 has
I'm kind of hoping my NV3550 goes out so I can put a nice shiny AX-15 in there. I definitely won't miss that gear rattle, or the sketchy 1-2 shift when it's cold.

When my NV3550 goes out I will be replacing it with a NEW AX15. You can't beat it and it's only around $1,500, plus it's a direct swap.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jerry Bransford
My original NV3550 lasted about 220k miles before the synchros started to have problems. I ordered a rebuilt NV3550 from JeepsUnlimited in Colorado. Has a few slight problems (popping out of 4th on decel if you don't hold the shifter and popping out of 2nd in low range). No deal breakers, but the AX15 might be a better bet. I'd probably go with an AX15 if I had to do it again, but I don't really have any large issues with my rebuilt 3550.

My first jeep was a 99 Sahara with a 5 speed, (31's and stick, clean, desert sand unit) Love that 5 speed way more than current 6 sp. A 5 speed is best in TJ a in my experience. Although I did completely drowned that tranny however, Had it rebuilt at the time.

Better to replace it with the much better and far more reliable AX-15, a direct swap. The NSG 370 6-speed would be a downgrade in terms of quality and reliability.
Just curious...is the ax-15 got lower ratios?

Also , the 3550 shift everything throw is crazy long. You can see a Manual leave a light and the shift time , just watching them.

Just thinking ahead.

Enjoy my manual, but the automatic works so well all around, and lays down more power.